NFL Discussion

You are off base. He was buzzed, not drunk. He didn't run the guy over, the guy ran in front of his car. He immediately stopped and called the police. He plead guilty and served his time. He owned it and was very, sincerely apologetic.

I'm all for calling the dude who gets wasted, blows a red light, and kills someone a murderer. You can't just lump everyone who breaks the law into the category of the worst offender without any thought to the circumstances. Our legal system isn't built that way (for good reason).

His BAC was .12 when they took it, so safe to assume it could have been higher at the time of the accident.  For a dude with his body composition, I'm sure that took a good amount of drinks to get his BAC that high... and judging by how late it was, he was probably coming off of a long night of drinking.

Yes he stopped and called the police, but he still took a mans life because he was being extremely irresponsible.  

I'm sorry if you disagree, but from my perspective, I've seen too many people die because drunk drivers to have any sympathy for someone who gets behind the wheel inebriated and kills someone.  I do not think he did it intentionally, but fact is that his actions directly led to this happening.  He was old enough to know better, and was making way more than enough money to afford a cab home when out drinking.

Back on the Michael Sams discussion, J Stew nails it here:

http://deadspin.com/john-stewart-rips-nflers-who-see-michael-sam-as-a-dist-1520584537?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

His BAC was .12 when they took it, so safe to assume it could have been higher at the time of the accident. For a dude with his body composition, I'm sure that took a good amount of drinks to get his BAC that high... and judging by how late it was, he was probably coming off of a long night of drinking.

Yes he stopped and called the police, but he still took a mans life because he was being extremely irresponsible.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but from my perspective, I've seen too many people die because drunk drivers to have any sympathy for someone who gets behind the wheel inebriated and kills someone. I do not think he did it intentionally, but fact is that his actions directly led to this happening. He was old enough to know better, and was making way more than enough money to afford a cab home when out drinking.

Back on the Michael Sams discussion, J Stew nails it here:

http://deadspin.com/john-stewart-rips-nflers-who-see-michael-sam-as-a-dist-1520584537?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The timeline is published. He had some drinks, fell asleep, woke up, and went out for breakfast.

Bac is Bac. The number of drinks it takes to get you there is irrelevant. .12 is buzzed to me (maybe a bit on the high end of that). People that get wasted and drive blow a .20+.

Lastly (and most importantly), he didn't create an accident. He was buzzed driving, someone ran in front of his car, and he hit him. Whether the alcohol slowed his reactions or no, who knows. We can't break it down to milliseconds. But based on the description of the events, he easily could have killed the guy in the same situation with a 0 BAC. Which is why he was convicted of manslaughter and not murder.

It's not like he paid his way out of it...he went before a judge and jury, was found to have broken the law but not be grossly negligent to the point that it was murder, and did his time.

He may be a shithead based on that, but murderer is not fair.

Haha. I laughed out loud

Yea that was pretty good.

How about this story now that the new GM Farmer wasn't even present for the interviews with new head coach Pettine?  Banner and Lombardi hire this guy, then they get canned, and the new GM is stuck with their coaching decision?

Now, I have no idea whats going on behind the scenes, but seems very weird to me to let management hire a new coach, only to fire them right afterwards.  Shouldn't they have gotten rid of them first, and then let the new GM hire the coach he wanted?

It's really crazy to me how this organization operates.

The timeline is published. He had some drinks, fell asleep, woke up, and went out for breakfast.

Bac is Bac. The number of drinks it takes to get you there is irrelevant. .12 is buzzed to me (maybe a bit on the high end of that). People that get wasted and drive blow a .20+.

Lastly (and most importantly), he didn't create an accident. He was buzzed driving, someone ran in front of his car, and he hit him. Whether the alcohol slowed his reactions or no, who knows. We can't break it down to milliseconds. But based on the description of the events, he easily could have killed the guy in the same situation with a 0 BAC. Which is why he was convicted of manslaughter and not murder.

It's not like he paid his way out of it...he went before a judge and jury, was found to have broken the law but not be grossly negligent to the point that it was murder, and did his time.

He may be a shithead based on that, but murderer is not fair.

You're right, murderer was unfair of me, and yes it was nice to see him own it and not try to run away or deny responsibility.  But fact is, just because he handled it the right way doesn't absolve him of his act.  I still place him above the likes of Lewis, Vick, Hernandez.

You are off base. He was buzzed, not drunk. He didn't run the guy over, the guy ran in front of his car. He immediately stopped and called the police. He plead guilty and served his time. He owned it and was very, sincerely apologetic.

I'm all for calling the dude who gets wasted, blows a red light, and kills someone a murderer. You can't just lump everyone who breaks the law into the category of the worst offender without any thought to the circumstances. Our legal system isn't built that way (for good reason).

I gotta disagree.  He served his time?  He got what, 30 days for driving intoxicated and killing a man?  You, me, or any other regular Joe who kills a man behind the wheel while intoxicated will be serving a long ass time.  Accidents happen, but killing a man for a poor decision and only spending 30 days in jail is hardly serving time. 

I gotta disagree.  He served his time?  He got what, 30 days for driving intoxicated and killing a man?  You, me, or any other regular Joe who kills a man behind the wheel while intoxicated will be serving a long ass time.  Accidents happen, but killing a man for a poor decision and only spending 30 days in jail is hardly serving time. 

Actually that's not true.  Back in high school, a classmate of mine was struck and killed by a drunk driver on Halloween.  Guy even had at least 1 prior DWI, but only received 2 months of jail time max (can't remember the exact details, but I remember being outraged when I found out).

I gotta disagree. He served his time? He got what, 30 days for driving intoxicated and killing a man? You, me, or any other regular Joe who kills a man behind the wheel while intoxicated will be serving a long ass time. Accidents happen, but killing a man for a poor decision and only spending 30 days in jail is hardly serving time.

Just went back and forth with Dave on this and it doing it again but the key is that he was drunk when someone ran in front of his car, not that he was drunk and took out someone at a stop sign or on the sidewalk. Read the articles describing it. Some would say the manslaughter charge was undeserved, and he only should have gotten the DUI.

i continue to get more and more intimidated of the browns.  i think they've done just about everything right this offseason and have some fresh faces for the draft to make some smart decisions.

Good for the Browns of getting rid of that GM. I know exactly how the hotlines were on the AM radio shows over there. We were calling for AJ Smiths head here in San Diego for the last 3 years. Ever since he didn't ink Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil down for long term contracts (granted McNeil did have a neck injury later when he came back but who knows whatever would've happened and damn Vincent Jackson is still a threat, too bad he's got no QB to get him that deep ball)

But come on Malone seriously? The Browns? Feel no need to be intimated my friend, they're the Browns still. Not trying to knock their character, but man, I can't name anyone person who excels at their particular positions. I could name one dude on the Browns and that's Josh Gordon, ok he's pretty damn good at what he does haha

Good for the Browns of getting rid of that GM. I know exactly how the hotlines were on the AM radio shows over there. We were calling for AJ Smiths head here in San Diego for the last 3 years. Ever since he didn't ink Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil down for long term contracts (granted McNeil did have a neck injury later when he came back but who knows whatever would've happened and damn Vincent Jackson is still a threat, too bad he's got no QB to get him that deep ball)

But come on Malone seriously? The Browns? Feel no need to be intimated my friend, they're the Browns still. Not trying to knock their character, but man, I can't name anyone person who excels at their particular positions. I could name one dude on the Browns and that's Josh Gordon, ok he's pretty damn good at what he does haha

i can name a few.  on both sides of the ball.  offensively, alex mack, jordan cameron, joe thomas, and josh gordon.  defensively, joe haden, paul kruger, and tj ward.  they got some other role players too and so many picks and im sure a couple major FA signings.  a lot of pieces are coming together for them.

if the roof is sky high, but the consistency is just lacking.  with this big haul of changes, maybe consistency is brewing.

Alright let's frame this properly -- Josh Gordon is not a "nice to have" player, he led the league in receiving yards by 150 while missing 2 games due to suspension. He's a stud and there's only a couple guys who you could argue are better than him. Another year or two like this, and people will be calling him the best in the game today.

Plus he did it with nobodies throwing him the ball.

On the Browns as a whole, though, in the NFL you either have your QB or you are rebuilding. They are still rebuilding. Whether they are that one piece away or 5, not sure. You won't know until take a few more steps.

I agree Josh Gordon is an awesome player, the Browns have talent....they just lack the final drive. They can rally but can't commit, hence why Phil Dawson was the highest scoring player for over a decade lol

Also the 3rd and long screen play books need to be burned....They just need to fill in some spots and maybe they can sustain, or actually come close to a .500 season? Obliviously we will see what priorities they have when the draft occurs

Alright let's frame this properly -- Josh Gordon is not a "nice to have" player, he led the league in receiving yards by 150 while missing 2 games due to suspension. He's a stud and there's only a couple guys who you could argue are better than him. Another year or two like this, and people will be calling him the best in the game today.

Plus he did it with nobodies throwing him the ball.

On the Browns as a whole, though, in the NFL you either have your QB or you are rebuilding. They are still rebuilding. Whether they are that one piece away or 5, not sure. You won't know until take a few more steps.

Perfectly said about, Gordon.

The only thing that can prevent Josh Gordon from being a Superstar is Josh Gordon.

If the Browns had better ownership I'd say they could be a scary team.  They do need a legitimate NFL Starting QB and a RB.  So two of the prime positions but they are in a good position to draft a high end QB if the choose and there are quite a few high end RBs.  The already have a good / great OL, dependent on Alex Mack coming back.  They have a young uber talented TE.  Then you've got Gordon who could / should be a beast with more offensive talent, particularly at QB. 

The defense is pretty dang good too.  The only problem with them is that some of their players are going to be getting expensive quick.  So they either need draft incredibly well to fill those holes or get a little luck in Free Agency.  I do know that the Browns have crazy cap space now, but with Mack and Ward a big chunk of that goes away then you have Phil Taylor and Josh Gordon getting near needing huge extensions. 

Josh Gordon had a great season. I'd wait for him to string together a few years before crowning him.

He had an impressive rookie season as well.  Not crowning him over Megatron yet, but I would much rather have Gordon on my team than Dez.  Hard to say if I'd take him over AJ or Julio though, assuming Julio bounces back from this foot injury.