NFL Discussion

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/story/24431788/offseason-extra-12-team-standard-mock-draft

i like where my 4 keeper players are falling; 1.2, 1.11, 3.6, 4.3, followed by two fifth round picks. 

Damn LeVeon cracking the first round.  He's definitely going to be  RB I target next year.

This mock draft is really useless though - don't even know what team/role half of these guys will have this season.

Alright let's frame this properly -- Josh Gordon is not a "nice to have" player, he led the league in receiving yards by 150 while missing 2 games due to suspension. He's a stud and there's only a couple guys who you could argue are better than him. Another year or two like this, and people will be calling him the best in the game today.

Plus he did it with nobodies throwing him the ball.

On the Browns as a whole, though, in the NFL you either have your QB or you are rebuilding. They are still rebuilding. Whether they are that one piece away or 5, not sure. You won't know until take a few more steps.

Yea I'd say that about sums it up for sure.  I grabbed Gordon in week 2 of my fantasy league and watched a lot of Browns games after as a result.  He put up some amazing numbers this year for sure and definitely could do so much better if he had an all star QB behind him.

I can't name anyone person who excels at their particular positions. I could name one dude on the Browns and that's Josh Gordon, ok he's pretty damn good at what he does haha

i can name a few.  on both sides of the ball.  offensively, alex mack, jordan cameron, joe thomas, and josh gordon.  defensively, joe haden, paul kruger, and tj ward.  they got some other role players too and so many picks and im sure a couple major FA signings.  a lot of pieces are coming together for them.

if the roof is sky high, but the consistency is just lacking.  with this big haul of changes, maybe consistency is brewing.

This is what I was going to say...CLE has some pieces to work with, they just need (at minimum) a QB/HB/maybe another WR/another defensive playmaker.

Alright let's frame this properly -- Josh Gordon is not a "nice to have" player, he led the league in receiving yards by 150 while missing 2 games due to suspension. He's a stud and there's only a couple guys who you could argue are better than him. Another year or two like this, and people will be calling him the best in the game today.

Plus he did it with nobodies throwing him the ball.

On the Browns as a whole, though, in the NFL you either have your QB or you are rebuilding. They are still rebuilding. Whether they are that one piece away or 5, not sure. You won't know until take a few more steps.

All of this.

If Jerry Rice picks you as the first receiver for his pro bowl team, you are doing something right. Also, my top 3 receivers on my MUT are Rice, Megatron, Josh Gordon, which is all I really wanted to say. B)

ray rice got arrested.  still waiting to hear more about it.  however, suggs is signing an extension tomorrow! hopefully he will finish his career in baltimore now.

He's 31, will turn 32 in the middle of next season. DE is not a position known for longevity. He's gonna drop off considerably from now until 34-35 when he retires, if he makes it that long without being cut.

He had an impressive rookie season as well.  Not crowning him over Megatron yet, but I would much rather have Gordon on my team than Dez.  Hard to say if I'd take him over AJ or Julio though, assuming Julio bounces back from this foot injury.

This is how I would rank the top receivers for fantasy for next year.

1. Megatron
  2. AJ Green
  3. J. Gordon
  4. D. Thomas
  5. Marshall
  6. Bryant
  7. Julio

This is what I was going to say...CLE has some pieces to work with, they just need (at minimum) a QB/HB/maybe another WR/another defensive playmaker.

All of this.

If Jerry Rice picks you as the first receiver for his pro bowl team, you are doing something right. Also, my top 3 receivers on my MUT are Rice, Megatron, Josh Gordon, which is all I really wanted to say. B)

Dude which Megatron do you have? I'm rocking Crabtree, Rice, DeSean and then I got White, Wayne, Fitzgerald on the bench.

I really invested all my time to my OL I have Ogden, Allen, Hutch, Dawson, etc. and then Ghost Young w/ Harris and got Lynch w/ benched Montana. Honestly my go to man is Sharpe in the mid.

The thing is I do a lot of screen rallies w/ long routes so I never went HAM to get the Megatron 99

Dude which Megatron do you have? I'm rocking Crabtree, Rice, DeSean and then I got White, Wayne, Fitzgerald on the bench.

I really invested all my time to my OL I have Ogden, Allen, Hutch, Dawson, etc. and then Ghost Young w/ Harris and got Lynch w/ benched Montana. Honestly my go to man is Sharpe in the mid.

The thing is I do a lot of screen rallies w/ long routes so I never went HAM to get the Megatron 99

I have the playoff Megatron that you get from completing the Lions elite collection. The only reason I even got him was because I got lucky and got Suh with man defense chemistry in a pack. I am working on my o-line now as well...I have 96 OVR elite guys, but am trying to upgrade to 99 OVR guys where I can. I have Ogden and the Seattle LT, just need my guards and center.

I also have the ghost Young with 99 OVR Walter Payton with Gore, Lynch, and 95 OVR Kaep on the bench haha.

He's 31, will turn 32 in the middle of next season. DE is not a position known for longevity. He's gonna drop off considerably from now until 34-35 when he retires, if he makes it that long without being cut.

guys like robert mathis and john abraham say otherwise.  in fact, mathis is coming off of his best season to date.

looking at the top 6 at the position in terms of sacks, half of them are over the age of 31.  so im not completely buying that he doesn't have 4 more years in him where he can play at a high level.  (as long as he stays off of the bball court)  

with ray and reed gone, he was doing a lot more this year and had 9 sacks after 8 games.  suggs can still ball so hard.  it freed up a lot of cap space and kept him in purple and black.  

guys like robert mathis and john abraham say otherwise.  in fact, mathis is coming off of his best season to date.

looking at the top 6 at the position in terms of sacks, half of them are over the age of 31.  so im not completely buying that he doesn't have 4 more years in him where he can play at a high level.  (as long as he stays off of the bball court)  

with ray and reed gone, he was doing a lot more this year and had 9 sacks after 8 games.  suggs can still ball so hard.  it freed up a lot of cap space and kept him in purple and black.  

I'd argue that a good reason why is that since the NFL has sort of become a pass favorable league there's just more opportunity to collect sacks. Check out Shaun Philips with the Broncos, he had one of his top years (sacks wise) as OLB/DE

pitta and his agent are getting greedy

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/283288/report-ravens-pitta-far-apart-on-contract

i'd prefer not to tag him if he is going to file for a WR tag and let him walk.  i love pitta, but he hasn't shown he deserves a WR tag, he isn't even top 5 at TE, nonetheless WR. 

He can for sure. Guys like Mathis, Abraham, etc all have so much talent that even when they are on the downside of their career they can still put up top-10 numbers. But there are also plenty of guys like Freeney, James Harrison, etc who hit 30ish, put in a couple more decent not great seasons, and are out. I also doubt there is anyone in sports who would seriously take the over on Mathis having 15 sacks again. It's a fluky stat.

You really can't argue that Suggs isn't on a downward trajectory. It's just fact. We peak athletically around 27. Maybe a guy can actually be at his peak later than that due to being a smarter, more experienced player. On the other side of 30, though, the decline in a man's body is going to trump the rest. You just gotta hope the decline is slow one (of the Mathis kind...throwing this year's huge stats out as an outlier) and not the Freeney kind (dude is pretty much done).

pitta and his agent are getting greedy

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/283288/report-ravens-pitta-far-apart-on-contract

i'd prefer not to tag him if he is going to file for a WR tag and let him walk.  i love pitta, but he hasn't shown he deserves a WR tag, he isn't even top 5 at TE, nonetheless WR. 

He can file that grievance, it'll get thrown out. I wouldn't worry about it.

He should be pretty happy if they tagged him and he got a year at top 5 TE money.

he definitely has room to become a smarter player and can study better and the older he gets the more i feel like he will study harder.  it also saved the ravens a lot of cap space for this year and really gives the defense an identity and a face for the franchise on that side of the ball.  

He can file that grievance, it'll get thrown out. I wouldn't worry about it.

He should be pretty happy if they tagged him and he got a year at top 5 TE money.

he lined up in the slot more than any TE last season, even more than jimmy graham.  i think i read a few weeks ago, 80% was the number of times post-surgery.

Lions are fucked with Suh. 22 Million dollar cap number, 19 if they trade him.

If they don't renegotiate, you can't compete with a DT eating up that much cap space. If you do, you are going to fuck yourself long term (now you will have a DT eating up a ton of cap space for 6 more years).

I hope they just pay him the money this year and let him walk. You can't give mega contracts to your WR, QB, and DT and expect to fill in the spots around them with enough quality players to win. Already in bed with Calvin and Stafford (Calvin earned his money even though it's high, no gripe there). Just get out of this cycle of having to keep extending players to get their cap hit down. We might not be locked into Stafford right now long term if they hadn't already done this (at least, fewer dollars or a shorter commitment).

he lined up in the slot more than any TE last season, even more than jimmy graham.  i think i read a few weeks ago, 80% was the number of times post-surgery.

In 4 games when you played 2 full seasons as a TE? Was he listed on the Depth Chart at TE all year? Does he have the body of a TE or a slot receiver? DId he have corners or linebackers covering him?

Maybe I'm off base. I'd let him try that and not get worried. We all know he is a TE. Just because the position has changed to a being more of a pass catcher, they aren't going to let an TE who is franchised claim he is a WR. There are guys all over the league who would claim to be WRs in that case and blow the system.

In 4 games when you played 2 full seasons as a TE? Was he listed on the Depth Chart at TE all year? Does he have the body of a TE or a slot receiver? DId he have corners or linebackers covering him?

Maybe I'm off base. I'd let him try that and not get worried. We all know he is a TE. Just because the position has changed to a being more of a pass catcher, they aren't going to let an TE who is franchised claim he is a WR. There are guys all over the league who would claim to be WRs in that case and blow the system.

yeah, i just don't know how the system works at all, so i just don't know.  i just think its bullshit for him to even try it with how the position has evolved.