NFL Discussion

I think about 5 or so coaches are canned every year on average. Nothing surprising. There's just some teams on there that have been pretty good in recent years. Usually its the jags, bucs, redskins, browns, Lions, etc..

4 to 5 sounds about right, the list isnt meant to be anything other than just a way to keep track of who cut ties with their HC.

in other coaching news, Dick Lebeau "resigned" this weekend and has already been replaced by the heir, Keith Butler.  

If they can string together some quality drafts over the next 3-4 years I think their offense could become something. They have a pretty good arm in Carr.

He ranked 30th in the NFL in QB Rating. Seems to get credit for extra "potential" since his bro was a #1 pick. Hasn't proven anything.

Yeah I'm really not seeing how you can think in 3-4 years the raiders will not still be the team we get side splits from laughing at so hard.

I disagree. Is Carr the team's savior? The book is still out. There were definitely signs of improvement this year though - potential breakout RB next year, really good, young D-line. I think the Raiders are a lot closer to being a wild card team than they were in 2012.

I disagree. Is Carr the team's savior? The book is still out. There were definitely signs of improvement this year though - potential breakout RB next year, really good, young D-line. I think the Raiders are a lot closer to being a wild card team than they were in 2012.

They're 3 years closer to being a wildcard team. That's just math

He ranked 30th in the NFL in QB Rating. Seems to get credit for extra "potential" since his bro was a #1 pick. Hasn't proven anything.

Yeah I'm really not seeing how you can think in 3-4 years the raiders will not still be the team we get side splits from laughing at so hard.

Carr is a rookie and on a poor team as well, he will grow and he is much better than his brother was (although I think his brother could have developed into a good QB if he wasn't wasted on an expansion team). Also, 3 or 4 solid drafts make a world of difference. Lets look at the 2011,2010 Seahawks, they were a 7-9 team. Nobody could have guessed their position as being one of the premier teams in the league in 2014 based on how they were then, and if you look back to 2009 it's even worse at 5-11. The entire NFC West was a joke over the last decade before a couple years ago, now it is arguably the most competitive division in football.

Could say the exact same sentence about the Jags or Bucs.

Exactly, that and the salary cap are the beauty of the NFL, more importantly though, you gotta get the right heads in there. Dallas' success this year had a lot to do with their past couple drafts, but just as important has been guys like Will McClay and the pro personnel staff. Like you said, it is hard, but it's not luck, sure some players will bust, but the consistently good teams are for a reason.