180g vinyl question

this seems like a pretty heavy debate. There are a couple threads where people get into this. I think for the most part, there isn't any noticeable. But there is a thread that vardcore posted in a ton that has tons of good info, I might try and find it after I eat this bowl of ramen

I don't think it's just the fact that it is on heavier vinyl that contributes to the idea that 180 gram sounds better. One thing that comes to mind is the amount of classic album reissues that get released that are on 180 gram, where there is usually a lot of effort put into making them sound as great as possible. You can record a total shit sounding album, master is terribly, and put it on 180 gram. It will sound like garbage, obviously, no better than 120 gram.

The only true advantage I see is that 180 gram is less likely to warp, so it is more durable to general use. Regardless of what kind of mastering job or recording methods were used on it.

I heard 180g vinyl is also "virgin" vinyl meaning the vinyl material is non-recycled vinyl pellets while regular vinyl is made mostly of re-recycled pellets. I guess it just means the vinyl is more pure and less likely to have any defects.

That's 180g virgin vinyl...there is also regular 180g which is made from the same stuff as standard records.

-- How many people have EVER had a record in their collection warp after they owned it (not aquired warped)? Seriously, ever? I mean if you store your records in a normal way... has that really happened to anyone?

-- I have dropped records and mangled them that way, but the weight of the record would not have helped that. Idiocy is not prevented by a heavier record. Not that I'm an idiot. I just smell that way.

-- Virgin vinyl is what most records are pressed on. Technically, high quality re-grind vinyl is better than 1st-run. As long as it is from a pure source, not random, and is free of paper bits, etc. I got records in the 80's that were pressed on crap regrind and it was sad (mostly Euro imports). Bad sound, bits of paper, etc.). You all own a lot more regrind records than you realize. And they sound awesome. Or not, depending on my opinion of your musical taste. And dress sense.

-- Virgin vinyl is what most records are pressed on. Technically, high quality re-grind vinyl is better than 1st-run. As long as it is from a pure source, not random, and is free of paper bits, etc. I got records in the 80's that were pressed on crap regrind and it was sad (mostly Euro imports). Bad sound, bits of paper, etc.). You all own a lot more regrind records than you realize. And they sound awesome. Or not, depending on my opinion of your musical taste. And dress sense.

So the majority of modern records are pressed on virgin vinyl?

I can honestly say that I noticed slight differences between my regular copy of RAR and my 180g copy. The 180g sounds warmer and not as abrasive (less tinny, if that makes sense). It's the only time I've ever made an actual comparison. The difference is very slight, but certainly noticeable if you're looking for the difference.

I can honestly say that I noticed slight differences between my regular copy of RAR and my 180g copy. The 180g sounds warmer and not as abrasive (less tinny, if that makes sense). It's the only time I've ever made an actual comparison. The difference is very slight, but certainly noticeable if you're looking for the difference.

I suggest a blindfolded coke vs pepsi taste test!

I suggest a blindfolded coke vs pepsi taste test!

I drink enough Pepsi to instantly know the difference. And to be a good blind taste test, you need 3 subjects. So... Pepsi, Coke, and RC or some store brand.

My 180 gram Goddamnit sounds better because it doesn't loop-skip at the beginning of San Francisco...

was it on purpose? i always wonder.

my flipper 'sex bomb/brainwash' 7" does that on brainwash...which is already a repeating song. it's a double whammy. i can't tell if it was purposely done or if my record is just jacked.