Thursday/Envy split news

Guest kevinb

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: vocals and the mixing on City... Geoff was quoted in an interview a while back saying it was all intentional. When you see them live, it's just a wall of sound (according to him, whenever they come through this area, I'm in another or something stupid comes up so I don't get to see them). The vocals get lost intentionally on songs like Into the Blinding Light and it's intentionally sloppy because they're not a technical band. Being a fan of nothing neat, I like the CD a whole lot.

seriously been into thursday since waiting. stoked for this split.

for the longest time, war all the time didn't move me as much as the full collapse, but going back and listening to them now, the overall feel of war all the time is better. better recording, better mixing, and better songwriting in my opinion. if full collapse had a better budget and didn't sound like it was mixed in a bathroom or something, it might have a chance to stand toe to toe with war all the time. but its just a poor recording by comparison.

i just dont think that "wall of sound" translates well to vinyl

though i'm not an expert on the subject, it's possible that the songs weren't mastered properly for vinyl and are just slapped on from the cd master. smashing pumpkins machina is a classic wall of sound recording and sounds lovely on wax.

New Blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … 4718461604

Thursday Announce Details on Split Release with Envy

..>..

Announce Details of Split LP + CD out November 4th on Temporary Residence!

More than two years after Thursday first put the idea in their heads, Temporary Residence Ltd. is proud to finally bring together two influential bands from two very different places. Sprung from a conversation with die-hard Envy fan and all-around good dude Geoff Rickly from Thursday, this split was just waiting for the right time to happen.

Recorded in Spring 2008, both bands turn in some of their most inspired work yet. In addition, Thursday invited Anthony Molina of Mercury Rev to remix the dark instrumental "In Silence" into the pitch-black closing track, "Appeared And Was Gone," providing the perfect transition into the massive dynamics of Envy. Beginning with the subtle electronics of the symphonic opener, "An Umbrella Fallen Into Fiction," Envy thrashes and burns through a trio of thoughtful face-melters.

Pressed on audiophile-quality 180 gram vinyl and featuring original artwork by acclaimed poster artist, Dan Grzeca, this deluxe set includes a free copy of the CD format beautifully incorporated into the exquisite package design.

Track Listing:

1. THURSDAY: As He Climbed The Dark Mountain

2. THURSDAY: In Silence

3. THURSDAY: An Absurd And Unrealistic Dream Of Peace

4. THURSDAY: Appeared And Was Gone (Remix by Anthony Molina of Mercury Rev)

5. ENVY: An Umbrella Fallen Into Fiction

6. ENVY: Isolation Of A Light Source

7. ENVY: Pure Birth And Loneliness

[image]

*Three limited screen-printed album editions will be available exclusively through Temporary Residence's and Thursday's web stores starting September 15.

I love that artwork.

So I am confused too...are there 3 copies of the screenprinted edition, or are there 3 different versions?

I want a screen printed version of the art you have there.

That would make a great print on my wall, too!

Guest falloutcollapse

I'll buy one from the Thursday store and one from the TRL store. I don't think I've ever been so stoked for a record to come out.

Reading it again I think there's 3 versions:

-LP/CD "Special" Screenprinted Edition

-LP/CD "Regular"

-CD

i dont think theres gonna be a seperate CD version, the only way to get the CD is to buy the LP, it will be in one package. im guessing the screen printed version will be on 3 seperate colors and the regular edition will just be on black. hopefully all on 180 gram and not just the screen printed ones.

Jeremy from TRL:

"Not sure why that cover image looks black and white, it's much cooler when you can see the colors.

Also, the production is nothing like A City By The Light Divided. Fridmann did not record the split songs, it was produced by the guy who did the Kill The House Lights tracks. I really like these songs, I've become quite addicted to the entire split album, it's a really strong listen."

Guest falloutcollapse

Bumping just to let the whole world know that I am still super pumped about this, almost a year after I heard it was happening. Best band ever.