Stand-up comedy (Formerly I hate Mencia)

Thank God for YouTube and Netflix. I can spend hours and hours watching stand-up. I like classic comedians like Bob Newhart, Don Rickles, Rodney Dangerfield and the early George Carlin stuff, up through Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Hannibal Burress and more.

Never liked Joe Rogan though.

So glad I got to see Mitch Hedberg before he died. Also before he was too strung out to perform properly.

Been rewatching all of Louis CK's specials because that's a thing everyone should do once or twice a year.

Lucky dog is right. I discovered Mitch by watching his Comedy Central special (I think it was in 1999 or 2000). Laughed like crazy. Unfortunately never had a chance to see him live.

BTW, the unedited version of that Comedy Central performance is excellent. You can hear the jokes that fell flat, and hear the audience groan at times, but that adds to the magic that was Mitch. He kept going, he tried to pull them in, and finally they "got it", and he toyed with them the rest of the night. Brilliant stuff. 

I like Louis CK's standup, but still so-so on his show "Louie." I need to give it more time I guess. 

Lucky dog is right. I discovered Mitch by watching his Comedy Central special (I think it was in 1999 or 2000). Laughed like crazy. Unfortunately never had a chance to see him live.

BTW, the unedited version of that Comedy Central performance is excellent. You can hear the jokes that fell flat, and hear the audience groan at times, but that adds to the magic that was Mitch. He kept going, he tried to pull them in, and finally they "got it", and he toyed with them the rest of the night. Brilliant stuff.

I like Louis CK's standup, but still so-so on his show "Louie." I need to give it more time I guess.

Louie is fantastic once you realize it's not always supposed to be "funny" funny. If that makes sense. Sometimes it's "laugh until you cry" funny, but sometimes it's just supposed to be weird little stories.

Weird that 7 years ago this thread was not going very deep with comedians. I guess that was before the podcast boom, which I'd argue spurred a new golden age. The comedy scene now makes me wish I moved to Chicago after college back in 06.

Podcasts and channels like comedy central and ifc giving comedians shows and letting them run with it seem huge for a push in the right direction. The kind of DIY comedy set up is working really well to it seems. I know the comedians of comedy did it like 10 years ago but i am seeing alot of comedians do shows in very unconventional spaces and getting away from places like the improv or some theaters who are charging 50 bucks a seat.

Louie is fantastic once you realize it's not always supposed to be "funny" funny. If that makes sense. Sometimes it's "laugh until you cry" funny, but sometimes it's just supposed to be weird little stories.

I love how dark and weird the show gets. Some of the most memorable moments are when you're just sitting there thinking "what the fuck..."

This deeply upsets me and I need a moment of solitary sobbing to process it.

I still think Maron's TV show and stand up are only "ok"

Ive only recently been able to actually listen to full episodes of his podcast. Still not a huge fan. Love that episode of Louie where they have beef though.

Ive only recently been able to actually listen to full episodes of his podcast. Still not a huge fan. Love that episode of Louie where they have beef though.

I never understood the hate on maron on his podcast. He actually interviews people unlike hardwick who somehow finds a way to turn every conversation into talking about himself. I listen to both but find myself getting way more annoyed with hardwick than maron

I never understood the hate on maron on his podcast. He actually interviews people unlike hardwick who somehow finds a way to turn every conversation into talking about himself. I listen to both but find myself getting way more annoyed with hardwick than maron

I dont hate maron, it just took me a while to get into it. it might be that he would start the shows so aggressively with the whole what the fucker spiel. I did like his interview w/ Obama and Laura Jane Grace a lot, the Jason Segel episode was good too.

I like Hardwick a lot and don't see it that way.