Stand-up comedy (Formerly I hate Mencia)

Demetri Martin's Netflix special is as good as his old stuff. I feel bad for the guy, he has good material but his CC show and movie didn't get great reception.

I was an extra in that movie (assuming you're talking about Taking Woodstock which is the only movie I remember him doing). I did what I could to elevate the production, but that mostly entailed me smoking joints I smuggled on set.

Love love love stand-up. Been listening to it for most of my life, even if my first few stand-up albums were all Christian comedians from the late 90's and early 2000's that my dad liked. My current faves are probably Maria Bamford (probably my all-time fave), Jen Kirkman, Eugene Mirman, Kumail Nanjiani, John Mulaney, Hannibal Buress, Tig Notaro, and Nick Thune.

I've also been working on a stand-up set on and off for a few months now, putting some final touches on it before I get on stage for the first time. A few friends of mine host comedy nights around town a couple times a week, and after having been to most of them, the cool supportive crowds have me feeling not as nervous as if I were starting out somewhere in Atlanta. Not sure why, I just feel like they're much more critical of new comedians there.

Love love love stand-up. Been listening to it for most of my life, even if my first few stand-up albums were all Christian comedians from the late 90's and early 2000's that my dad liked. My current faves are probably Maria Bamford (probably my all-time fave), Jen Kirkman, Eugene Mirman, Kumail Nanjiani, John Mulaney, Hannibal Buress, Tig Notaro, and Nick Thune.

I've also been working on a stand-up set on and off for a few months now, putting some final touches on it before I get on stage for the first time. A few friends of mine host comedy nights around town a couple times a week, and after having been to most of them, the cool supportive crowds have me feeling not as nervous as if I were starting out somewhere in Atlanta. Not sure why, I just feel like they're much more critical of new comedians there.

You'll have a great time. It's a highlight of my week. Being on stage is a drug.

Kinane's the best. I've opened for him a few times, most recently in June in Pittsburgh. He's one of the nicest and most gracious people I've ever met. And the new hour he's working on is fucking killer.

Huntsberger is great. I saw him open for Doug Benson a few years ago and thought he was wayyyy funnier than Doug.

I was under the impression aspiring comics didn't diss bigger comics, sort of like when bands say, "The dudes in that band are good guys," when they don't like their material but still want to be nice haha.

Huntsberger is great. I saw him open for Doug Benson a few years ago and thought he was wayyyy funnier than Doug.

I love them both.

Doug is such a nice guy and I love how his jokes sometimes seem to lead to an obvious punchline that he will completely spin on its head.

I was under the impression aspiring comics didn't diss bigger comics, sort of like when bands say, "The dudes in that band are good guys," when they don't like their material but still want to be nice haha.

I wasn't trying to dis him, Doug is very funny, I love his podcasts, I just thought David stole the show that night.

I never understood hecklers, especially for shows that cost a decent amount of money. You wouldnt go see a musical and pay 40 bucks for a ticket and scream at the actors so why would you do the same at a show at the improv.

The free open mics are tough though since it doesnt weed anyone out. That leads to the two videos above....

I never understood hecklers, especially for shows that cost a decent amount of money. You wouldnt go see a musical and pay 40 bucks for a ticket and scream at the actors so why would you do the same at a show at the improv.

The free open mics are tough though since it doesnt weed anyone out. That leads to the two videos above....

Those who cannot do, heckle.

Whenever I get a heckler, I just ask them if they're on the list and if not, then SHUT THE FUCK UP, I HAVE THE FUCKING MIC AND YOU ARE HERE TO LISTEN.  Then I go back, very calmly, into my jokes.  It works out pretty well, shuts them up and gets some laughs out of the audience.

Sometimes we'll get consistent hecklers, usually drunk guys at the bar that are trying to prove they have a big dick or something, and the comedians will devour them.  One of my friends completely threw away his planned set just to destroy this one dickhead heckler that was interjecting during everyone's sets.  He left after that set.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wish I lived out there I'd be at the comedy store all the time -_-

Between the store, laugh factory, Hollywood improv, and smaller venues like Largo and Lyric were spoiled. Chris D'Elia and Sebastian Maniscalco can be seen almost nightly for cheap. Jeff Garlin had a show the other night. $30 ticket Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Silverman, and Larry David were his guests. Unreal.

Between the store, laugh factory, Hollywood improv, and smaller venues like Largo and Lyric were spoiled. Chris D'Elia and Sebastian Maniscalco can be seen almost nightly for cheap. Jeff Garlin had a show the other night. $30 ticket Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Silverman, and Larry David were his guests. Unreal.

oh my god that's amazing, I'd pay $30 to see just one of them! Eventually I'm going to take a trip out to LA and visit all these clubs.