Vinyl that also includes the CD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its a great idea. saddle creek, touch and go and a bunch of other indie labels have been doing this, either including a cd or an mp3 download.

But yea, great idea, makes it double legal for me. I always buy records and download it so i can listen to it on the go. Does anyone know if you own a record and download it from a torrent site and they try to sue you if you can still get sued? since you own a hard copy, just not one that is easy to transport places?

Guest scriptedrain
I can't imagine anyone having anything negative to say about this. *thumbs up*

This happened on my mates of state lp, though i've already had the cd for years.

What do you mean?

Guest scriptedrain

I forgot to say, I like getting both a CD or MP3 coupon, but it's nicer to get a CD because I can always "rip" the record using my USB turntable to make MP3s anyway. And, like you say dave4444, it's nice to rip into what quality you prefer.

Does anyone know if you own a record and download it from a torrent site and they try to sue you if you can still get sued? since you own a hard copy, just not one that is easy to transport places?

Of COURSE you can still get sued. Anybody can sue you whenever they want. Can you afford to fight them if they DID sue you?

If you are asking whether your downloading would be legally excused because you own the vinyl, the short answer is "no".

i think it's cool. i'm more likely to buy a record if it had a cd or a download, but i wouldn't be discouraged if it didn't. i dont think it'll make people who don't actually listen to vinyl buy the record. that doesn't seem super logical to me, unless it was an uber-fan or whatever who just wanted it for the artwork. storing vinyl is actually space and potentially time consuming, so it doesn't make much sense. people are always gonna want the most convenient format with the most appropriate packaging (though i dont know if this could be said for digital downloads). a cd is convenient, and mp3 even better, as far as taking around. not too many people have the time to sit at home and spin the records...some of us can't even find the time. plus i don't think that most of the albums that include a cd/download are that limited. if it was limited, people would be forced to buy the actual cd anyway, so why include it?

i think it's cool. i'm more likely to buy a record if it had a cd or a download, but i wouldn't be discouraged if it didn't. i dont think it'll make people who don't actually listen to vinyl buy the record. that doesn't seem super logical to me, unless it was an uber-fan or whatever who just wanted it for the artwork. storing vinyl is actually space and potentially time consuming, so it doesn't make much sense. people are always gonna want the most convenient format with the most appropriate packaging (though i dont know if this could be said for digital downloads). a cd is convenient, and mp3 even better, as far as taking around. not too many people have the time to sit at home and spin the records...some of us can't even find the time. plus i don't think that most of the albums that include a cd/download are that limited. if it was limited, people would be forced to buy the actual cd anyway, so why include it?

A lot of the time, records are cheaper. So if records include a CD... (Doesn't totally make sense that an LP and CD is cheaper then just a CD, but I've seen that before)

My friends/bandmates and I have decided to start our own label, and right now one of the "founding principles" is to give any and all releases this treatment (vinyl w/ CD/CDr included). I think it's the best of both worlds, and I also think that turning new people on to the world of vinyl is a GOOD thing. Let's not be elitists here.