Vinyl that also includes the CD

All bands should do this. I prefer to get a download as opposed to a cd because im just going to put it on my computer anyway and not use the cd, but if someone doesnt have a computer or the internet then it covers all the bases.

Or, as in the case with "These Ones Are Bitter" where the cd is only going to be pressed for the first pressing of the record then I save it with that pressing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's cool. i'm more likely to buy a record if it had a cd or a download, but i wouldn't be discouraged if it didn't. i dont think it'll make people who don't actually listen to vinyl buy the record. that doesn't seem super logical to me, unless it was an uber-fan or whatever who just wanted it for the artwork. storing vinyl is actually space and potentially time consuming, so it doesn't make much sense. people are always gonna want the most convenient format with the most appropriate packaging (though i dont know if this could be said for digital downloads). a cd is convenient, and mp3 even better, as far as taking around. not too many people have the time to sit at home and spin the records...some of us can't even find the time. plus i don't think that most of the albums that include a cd/download are that limited. if it was limited, people would be forced to buy the actual cd anyway, so why include it?

A lot of the time, records are cheaper. So if records include a CD... (Doesn't totally make sense that an LP and CD is cheaper then just a CD, but I've seen that before)

that's true but i think that depends. i remember picking up pib's paradise (my fist PIB experience) at the local record store for $9, as opposed to the $11 cd, but it didn't come with a download/cd. but i don't think the casual music listener would care about having the vinyl AND the cd/mp3s.

Shellac does it with their releases as well (or at least the last two records). I think it's a great idea, and ultimately will help sustain people's interest in vinyl. If someone's on the fence about getting the LP version of a release, getting a free digital copy (either MP3 coupon or CD) will help push that person towards the vinyl. More people buying records = more plants continuing to press vinyl.

A lot of the time, records are cheaper. So if records include a CD... (Doesn't totally make sense that an LP and CD is cheaper then just a CD, but I've seen that before)

Rilo Kiley's under the blacklight (which comes with the cd) is readily avail. for 9.99 but the cd is 18.99.....

but i think this is the best thing...my biggest issue with vinyl is playing it on the go (you really cant/shouldnt) and this makes it easy for me to put it in the car and ipod...

I wholeheartedly support this idea...aits really the best of both worlds...

This is the best idea since sliced bread.

The first time I ran into this was ordering "New Wave" from No Idea.

It was like "sooo...let me get this straight....I get a 180 Gram colored vinyl version of the record...a CD version to make mp3s of...AND a 7" of then lead-off single...for 12 dollars?"

Brilliant.

my band just did this with our recent 7 inch release. two songs on the 7 inch, 5 song ep for free. it just seemed right to do it that way. it will be available on VC in the coming days btw. THE DISAPPEARED "A Realization of Hope" 7 inch / CD EP.

Nice plug lol.

No but really, I just checked out your band on Myspace and the guitars are sick dude. I'll probably pick this up. Nice job.

Guest scriptedrain
my band just did this with our recent 7 inch release. two songs on the 7 inch, 5 song ep for free. it just seemed right to do it that way. it will be available on VC in the coming days btw. THE DISAPPEARED "A Realization of Hope" 7 inch / CD EP.

I like what I'm hearing. I want one.