NHL Discussion

Kovalchuk trade is terrible for a Thrashers fan. I live in ATL and root for the Thrashers every game they're not playing the Flyers. Not anymore. I will root for the opposing team every game until they fire Don Waddell. We've had 4 superstars in ATL (if you count Savard) and he has not been able to re-sign one of them. He's terrible. At least in the Heatley trade we got Hossa. In the Hossa trade we got Chrestensen whos already gone, Armstrong whos not worth the tape on his stick, and Angelo who? Now for Kovy we get 2 nobodies, a prospect who is suspended for the rest of the season in juniors and "a first round pick" when in reality all we did was move up like 5 spots since we will be near the top of the 2nd round and NJ will be near the bottom of the 1st round. Off with Waddell's head. I can't believe he's still involved with USA hockey either. He probably won't be after we get blown out by everybody in 2 weeks.

No idea why Chicago wasn't a player for Kovalchuk.

Glenn Sather taught us that assembling an allstar team does not win championships.

The chemistry that lot has is more important than adding a THIRD sniper. Hawks need more depth on the back end anyway.

Shedding some spare parts (Sopel, Barker, et al) piece by piece for more tangible assets would be a better move for Chicago, in my opinion.

Kovalchuk trade is terrible for a Thrashers fan. I live in ATL and root for the Thrashers every game they're not playing the Flyers. Not anymore. I will root for the opposing team every game until they fire Don Waddell. We've had 4 superstars in ATL (if you count Savard) and he has not been able to re-sign one of them. He's terrible. At least in the Heatley trade we got Hossa. In the Hossa trade we got Chrestensen whos already gone, Armstrong whos not worth the tape on his stick, and Angelo who? Now for Kovy we get 2 nobodies, a prospect who is suspended for the rest of the season in juniors and "a first round pick" when in reality all we did was move up like 5 spots since we will be near the top of the 2nd round and NJ will be near the bottom of the 1st round. Off with Waddell's head. I can't believe he's still involved with USA hockey either. He probably won't be after we get blown out by everybody in 2 weeks.

I understand you being totally frustrated by what, besides offering Chuk money was Waddell to do? Twelve years for a total of 101 million is a better offer than Ilya's getting anywhere else.

I'd blame ownership's inability to get their act straight more than anything else. As for Oduya and Bergfors, they're two good NHL players.

Waddell isn't the brightest owner, but you might not be much brighter.

I think the trade is a pretty good one. As stated, the main parties involved in the trade were Ottawa, St. Louis, and New Jersey. New Jersey came in last and you have to assume they offered the best package. I think it's a good trade when you consider that Kovalchuk wasn't going to sign with Atlanta -- Maybe that's Waddells fault, maybe he wants to play elsewhere in the NHL, maybe he wants to win the cup, maybe he wants to go to the KHL, etc...

You guys did get fleeced in the Hossa trade with the Pens, but at the time people thought Atlanta won big. Esposito is injury prone and Christensen was full of potential. Colby is a popular guy down there I suppose, great team player. Plus you got a late 1st round pick.

Oduya is a solid NHL defensemen, maybe underrated. Bergfors has been a pretty good rookie, he's struggling now, but most rookies do. Comier is an idiot, but a pretty good hockey player, plus another 1st round pick. I'd take that over nothing any day.

Dunno why he let Savard walk though.

I understand you being totally frustrated by what, besides offering Chuk money was Waddell to do? Twelve years for a total of 101 million is a better offer than Ilya's getting anywhere else.

I'd blame ownership's inability to get their act straight more than anything else. As for Oduya and Bergfors, they're two good NHL players.

It's not that he didn't offer him a contract. It's the fact that 2 years ago Kovy said he was leaving if Waddell couldn't put together a competitive team. The sad thing is that a big offseason signing for Atlanta is Pavel Kubina. This is the salary cap era. All stars jump teams like it's nothing and Waddell can't get any of them.

I blame ownership's inability to get their act straight for the reason we still have Waddell.

Kovy wasn't going to stay unless they offered him 12 years 120 million. But this trade is ridiculous. Bergfors and Oduya are 2 average NHL players at best and that is all they will be. I think we could have done better.

I think the trade is a pretty good one. As stated, the main parties involved in the trade were Ottawa, St. Louis, and New Jersey. New Jersey came in last and you have to assume they offered the best package. I think it's a good trade when you consider that Kovalchuk wasn't going to sign with Atlanta -- Maybe that's Waddells fault, maybe he wants to play elsewhere in the NHL, maybe he wants to win the cup, maybe he wants to go to the KHL, etc...

You guys did get fleeced in the Hossa trade with the Pens, but at the time people thought Atlanta won big. Esposito is injury prone and Christensen was full of potential. Colby is a popular guy down there I suppose, great team player. Plus you got a late 1st round pick.

Oduya is a solid NHL defensemen, maybe underrated. Bergfors has been a pretty good rookie, he's struggling now, but most rookies do. Comier is an idiot, but a pretty good hockey player, plus another 1st round pick. I'd take that over nothing any day.

LA and Chicago were involved originally as well. We should have been able to get a much better deal from Chicago as they're not going to be able to re-sign 1/2 their team anyway. LA is full of prospects. I would have taken any one out of moller, johnson, doughty, kopitar, or frolov over both of these guys. And the 1st round pick we get is really just moving up to like 27 rather than 37. NJ will be at the end of the 1st round and we swapped 2nd round picks so they'll get our near the beginning of the 2nd round pick.

LA and Chicago were involved originally as well. We should have been able to get a much better deal from Chicago as they're not going to be able to re-sign 1/2 their team anyway. LA is full of prospects. I would have taken any one out of moller, johnson, doughty, kopitar, or frolov over both of these guys. And the 1st round pick we get is really just moving up to like 27 rather than 37. NJ will be at the end of the 1st round and we swapped 2nd round picks so they'll get our near the beginning of the 2nd round pick.

And I would have taken Marleau/Heatley/Boyle.

Get real, man.

From the stuff I've read the only serious players were Ottawa, St. Louis, and NJ. If LA and CHI were involved, they must have just been testing the water w/ limited trades that would not have netted ATL anything close to what NJ gave them.

RENTAL player

Keep that part in mind.

LA was serious to some degree. From the official LA Kings blog it seems the deal fell apart because Atlanta wanted Dustin Brown, Jack Johnson or Wayne Simmonds to be included and the Kings said no. The Kings were serious about trying but wanted the deal to be about picks and prospects, no one from the NHL club.

LA was serious to some degree. From the official LA Kings blog it seems the deal fell apart because Atlanta wanted Dustin Brown, Jack Johnson or Wayne Simmonds to be included and the Kings said no. The Kings were serious about trying but wanted the deal to be about picks and prospects, no one from the NHL club.

With Atlanta still in the playoff picture, if Wadell took all picks and prospects he would have been run out of town on a rail as suggested previously.

What I don't understand is why the rush? It's not like Kovalchuk's value would depreciate. I'd have milked him for every last goal and maybe gotten a little sweeter deal at the deadline from a playoff cusp team. The injury factor maybe?

Just seems like the wrong time, to me.

injury factor along w/ his value decreasing as the deadline gets closer because everyone knew the Thrashers really HAD to deal him.

Back to that Bob McKenzie article. I have no problem with the big hits or the fights. The problem I have is that the NHL needs to step up. Either call the instigator all the time and try to get rid of it, or don't call it all. The NHL wants it called. The refs pick and choose when to call it. If it's a clean hit and someone comes in to fight, that's instigating. Call it every time.

I am personally all for it. I think we all remember McSorley coming to LA w/ Gretzky.

With Atlanta still in the playoff picture, if Wadell took all picks and prospects he would have been run out of town on a rail as suggested previously.

Picks and prospects could have provided the foundation for a much better Thrashers team. Best I know the Thrashers aren't rich with young talent.

Picks and prospects could have provided the foundation for a much better Thrashers team. Best I know the Thrashers aren't rich with young talent.

Which is sad in its own right considering we've picked in the top 10 just about all but 1 year of our existence. Anybody see Patrick Stefan lately?