NHL Discussion

Nice article by Bob McKenzie on hitting/fighting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308652

Good article. I was just gonna post something the other day about how I thought it was bullshit that Stuart had to fight after a clean hit like that. Same thing happened in the Red Wings game last night when Ericsson threw a textbook hip check and had to "answer" for it.

The Atlanta Thrashers look to have parted ways with the most celebrated player in franchise history, trading star winger Ilya Kovalchuk to the New Jersey Devils.

The Thrashers acquired defenceman John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and the Devils first round pick in 2010.

The Devils also receive defenceman Anssi Salmela in the deal. New Jersey traded Salmela to Atlanta last March for Niclas Havelid.

In addition, the two teams also swap second round picks in 2010.

Well Stuart didn't have to fight, Simmonds just challenged him. And you're crazy if you don't believe Thornton would have hunted down someone if they laid out Savard. This isn't something that's unique to the Kings.

I don't at all think it's unique to the Kings, I think the whole scenario is bullshit, and it happens too often. I'm all for fighting in hockey, I just don't want players shying away from unleashing a big, clean hit because they either don't want to have to fight immediately after or they simply don't want to be off the ice for the next 5+ minutes. And I know, it's not like Simmonds jumped him or anything, but still.

This really doesn't seem like THAT good of a deal for the Thrashers. Keep in mind Patrice Cormier is the dude who throws endless amounts of nasty elbows (including the one that put dude in convulsions on ice a couple weeks back)

Since when did Endless become a synonym for two? I am so sick of people blowing that elbow way out of proportion. Yes it was a dirty hit, yes he should have been suspended. No he isn't a criminal, No he isn't the devil. Hockey is a contact sport, Shit like that happens, If he pulls something like that in the NHL he will get ruined by some other goon. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? He kills someone? It's not like thats anything new for a thrashers player, at least it will be on the ice this time.

I like the Kovalchuk trade for both teams. Marty is getting old, the Devils have to make a run at the Cup. They didn't give up too much for a rental. The return isn't great for Atlanta, but it's decent, better than what we gave them for Hossa. Ottawa and St. Louis were the other two front runners, I'm sure the Devils package was the best.

From a Penguins fan standpoint.

FUCK

exactly. havent beaten the devils yet this year... doesn't look much better going forward

And (no offense Pens fans) I couldn't be more thrilled.

I can't blame you. I was hanging out with my friend who is a Devils fan at a Brian Posehn show last night and he was stoked beyond belief.

Some guy overheard us talking about the trade and I think his head exploded.

So....Marleau. Asides from Kovalchuk, he's probably cream of the upcoming UFA crop. Any thoughts on whether he stays in SJ?

I doubt Kovalchuk stays in NJ beyond the season - unless he was just blowing smoke up everyone's asses with those insane contract demands.

And Frolov -- does he suit up in black and purple again?

Will Olli remain a Ranger?

I fully expect Brian Burke to pursue them all, particularly Marleau or Jokinen since we badly need centers. Doubt he'll be successful, but I expect him to try. Stranger things have certainly happened, though. Phaneuf is evidence of that.

So....Marleau. Asides from Kovalchuk, he's probably cream of the upcoming UFA crop. Any thoughts on whether he stays in SJ?

I doubt Kovalchuk stays in NJ beyond the season - unless he was just blowing smoke up everyone's asses with those insane contract demands.

And Frolov -- does he suit up in black and purple again?

Will Olli remain a Ranger?

I fully expect Brian Burke to pursue them all, particularly Marleau or Jokinen since we badly need centers. Doubt he'll be successful, but I expect him to try. Stranger things have certainly happened, though. Phaneuf is evidence of that.

it'll be up to what SJ does between Nabby and Marleau. they wont be able to keep both, and I think they keep Marleau out of those two. but they're also deep in forwards, so Marleau could get traded... who knows. so tough to say right now when were not past the march 3rd deadline.

I dont think the Rangers keep Olli though

If it turns out Kovalchuk just wanted out of Atlanta he'll sign for less than the Atlanta offers. If not, then I think he's go KHL or to another mediocre team. I'm pleased though I think given the package the Devils gave, the Kings probably could have matched.

As for Frolov, I think if he's reasonable about his price he'll come back to LA. If he wants upwards of 4 or 5 million he'll go elsewhere.

Rumors are Marleau could come to LA, Lombardi drafted him afterall. Not sure I believe that but if the Sharks don't succeed in the playoffs I'm not sure San Jose would want to keep him.

Salary cap is staying the same, pretty much. It might go up or down like $100K, but that's not a big deal.

Why the hell would SJ keep Marleau over Nabakov? Do they have a mystery goalie in the AHL I haven't heard about? Nabakov is still good, they can probably extend him cheap. Meanwhile, weren't they trying to unload Marleau the last 2 offseasons?

The real question is: what the fuck are the Blackhawks going to do? They have 16 players signed for next year (9 forwards, 5 defensemen, 1 goalie) and they are already $4MM over the cap hit - and that doesn't include resigning the RFAs they need to re-sign (Niemi, Ladd, Hjalmarsson). They need to unload Versteeg, Barker, AND Sopel at the very least. I was hoping they'd possibly all be in a trade for a Kovalchuk rental but apparently not. Hawks need to solidify the blue line. I wish the Ducks would lose some more games so Niedermeyer would become available.