NHL Discussion

NHL proposed new offer to players yesterday, so says Eukland (what a joke that he "broke" this).

6 year contract cap, 7 if its with the same team

$300 million Make Whole

10 year CBA (8 years with mutual opt out for the final 2)

$60 Million cap for 2013/14 season

and apparently the option for a one-time amnesty buyout of a contract

of and Free Agency would move from July 1 to July 10

and Free Agency would move from July 1 to July 10

I hope this doesn't happy.. July 1st is my birthday, I take off every year and sit on tsn.ca/nhl all day long following free agent frenzy every year.

I like the one amnesty per year... bye bye Pronger contract!

I hope this doesn't happy.. July 1st is my birthday, I take off every year and sit on tsn.ca/nhl all day long following free agent frenzy every year.

I like the one amnesty per year... bye bye Pronger contract!

July birthday hollaaaaaa mine is the 11th. it's always been the day I hope the free agent frenzy is over by, but I guess now I can spend it reading rumors and shit

Have there been any leaks of the NHLPA counter-offer? Curious how close it is, or if it will just make Bettman and the owners puff their chests out and shoot the players down yet again.

nope, and there shouldnt be at this point.  they only leaked the items in the offer as negotiating tactics.  meeting is over for today, they'll get together tomorrow.

A wasted day in NHL labour talks

By Elliotte Friedman

After a difficult Thursday in the CBA negotiation game, here's where it looks like things stand:

You've heard that both sides disagree on the cap for the 2013-14 season. The NHL wants $60 million US, the players $65 million. They disagree on contract length, with the NHL at six years for someone else's free agent, seven years for your own. The NHLPA wants eight years overall.

The players are determined to get their pensions as previously agreed to. The league unveiled some new concerns this week, involving shortfall responsibilities and what happens after the next CBA is completed.

According to several sources, here are two other issues:

Both sides accept a 10-year term, but the league wants the mutual out after eight seasons. The players want it to be seven. According to the NHL's proposal, anyone wanting to use the opt-out has to notify after Year 6. I didn't realize it, but the league wants the expiration date to be June 30, instead of Sept. 15 (The NHLPA would like it to stay the same). That would prevent another spending orgy right before pleading poverty.

Variance: various reports have had it bouncing around from 10 to 20 to 25 per season. Whatever the case, one source outlined the league has proposed 30 per cent, but that no year in any multi-season contract can be lower than 60 per cent of the highest-paid year. That kills the Kovalchuk/Luongo/Weber cap-buster. I can see the benefit for both the NHL and the NHLPA, since those deals hurt escrow, but allows for flexibility in the "middle-class," which will please a lot of the membership.

PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.

Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.