NHL Discussion

I think it's amazing that the NHL appear to have a deal and ESPN treats it with Apathy since we are in the NFL playoffs and about to have the NCAA title game. This lockout went way too long after all the buzz the previous NHL playoffs produced. Once again the momentum of building hockey back up is gone and that's a total shame. 

I hoping tampa bay just makes too the playoffs. I think we can as long as lindback does better than roloson did last year.

Why does it seem like every tampa game I watch, their defense fails miserably? I really like that team (Lecavalier has always been a favorite of mine), however their defense always seems to be pretty smelly too, despite the goaltending issues.

I bet Miller plays every game this season.

That would be scary after seeing how he's been lately. I remember watching him stone everyone when he was killing it for Michigan State.

take care of rick nash

i'll be rooting for them

I'll never know why I'm a diehard Columbus fan while being born and raised everywhere near/in Chicago.

You guys have no idea how hard it is being a buffalo sabres/bills fan.

Im sorry dude. Things will get better eventually.

take care of rick nash

i'll be rooting for them

Oh we will man. Take care of my boys Dubi and Artie. I almost cried when I heard Dubi was gone, even though I saw it coming. A great dude. Seriously one of my favorite players ever. The guy was a fucking Ranger. And he will always be a Ranger.

I hoping tampa bay just makes too the playoffs. I think we can as long as lindback does better than roloson did last year.

I think they can win the East to be completely honest. Fixed the goalie situation, The offense is too good and Yzerman has put together a hell of a blue line.

Didn't you guys plan one last year too?

Sorry the Kings are gonna be the ones to spoil that dream this year. I do think the Rags will make it to the finals.

We did, and then we played two 7 games series. But with a 50 game season, nothing is going to get past Hank dude. 

Is anyone else a little reluctant to just start watching again?

Think about all the workers/families the players and owners fucked over, all the people who work at the arenas etc who lost their jobs because of this (right before Christmas too).  It sort of makes me hate the NHL when you think that millionaires arguing over who got more money fucked over peoples lives due to their greed.

Is anyone else a little reluctant to just start watching again?

Think about all the workers/families the players and owners fucked over, all the people who work at the arenas etc who lost their jobs because of this (right before Christmas too).  It sort of makes me hate the NHL when you think that millionaires arguing over who got more money fucked over peoples lives due to their greed.

I don't know about your stadiums, but the Honda Center (and Staples as well) have had plenty of things going on to keep their employees busy.

They actually made the best of it too. Honda Center is going through construction, and their team store has been running daily sales to draw customers in. 

And I'm sorry, but the NHL isn't bringing in MLB, NFL or NBA figures, so where is this "millionaires arguing over who got more money" coming in. Sure, there are select players that make quite a bit but overall and the administration I'm sure isn't struggling, but the NHL is not that profitable. This reconstruction needed to happen whether the fans like it or not. They don't just lock out seasons because they enjoy arguing.

Really?  You mean to tell me the owners are not millionaires and there are no players in the league that are millionaires as well?

Jeremy Jacobs (owner of the Boston Bruins) is worth an estimated $1.9 billion.

"The NHL counts ten billionaires among its ownership ranks, just one fewer than the NBA."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2011/11/01/the-nhls-billionaire-owners/

As for people at the arenas losing jobs, I know at ScotiaBank Place (Ottawa) a lot of the areana workers were either laid off or put on reduced time.

I had said there are exceptions, but for the most part, they aren't the most well-payed athletes out there. I'm sorry for the arena workers in Ottawa, but I will still watch and support the NHL. I may not agree with everything, but they do provide me with the greatest sport in a great format with most of the worlds best players. If they need to take a couple extra months to figure out finances, so be it. 

I'm sorry to have rustled your feathers, crime, but that's where I stand.

This season will be bullshit regardless. Some hackjob team will win the cup and something terrible like the Leafs making the playoffs will happen. After a half season last year, Minnesota (who didn't make the playoffs) would have been number 1. 

I would have to agree with you on that one.  You would assume most of the players stay in shape all year round, but from the attitude expressed by players in the media none of them were really expecting to play this season.  I'm not a professional athelete but I would think it makes more than a week to get your body into "season ready" shape.

I'm assuming there will be a lot of injuries to start the season.

I had said there are exceptions, but for the most part, they aren't the most well-payed athletes out there. I'm sorry for the arena workers in Ottawa, but I will still watch and support the NHL. I may not agree with everything, but they do provide me with the greatest sport in a great format with most of the worlds best players. If they need to take a couple extra months to figure out finances, so be it. 

I'm sorry to have rustled your feathers, crime, but that's where I stand.

I just spent close to an hour searching for the article I read but I can't find it.  Anyways, about a month ago or so I read an article on CBC that discussed the effects of the lockout on smaller market teams and their "support" staff (mainly arena staff).  A lot of smaller markets (like Ottawa) who only have the arena for hockey and maybe a handful of concerts throughout the year had to lay people off because they had no work for them.  The article sort of soured my perception of the lockout, especially when you add in a couple articles I read about how much the owners actually make.

This season will be bullshit regardless. Some hackjob team will win the cup and something terrible like the Leafs making the playoffs will happen. After a half season last year, Minnesota (who didn't make the playoffs) would have been number 1. 

this is a more valid point... 

Penguins players have been holding voluntary work outs every day at their southpointe rink, paid for by the players, since the beginning of the lockout.  those who did not go overseas to play every day have been working out on a semi-regular schedule, and I feel like that is a pretty common practice among NHL players who are not playing overseas or in the AHL or lower leagues.  Again, you're assuming players are just sitting on their hands doing nothing during the lockout, and are unprepared. 

I don't disagree entirely, but the fact remains that everyone has an equal chance just like a full season. Plus with injuries in an 82 game season, the same can be said with the potential for a "hackjob" team to go further than they "should" have. No one predicted Devils-Kings last year (especially after the kings were the 8 seed) and no one predicted the Devils at all, so anything can happen no matter how many games are played. In a way it makes this half season a little more interesting. 

And this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Devils won the half season in 95  :D