NHL Discussion

I don't think the whole season is bullshit, but I don't personally feel the same way about a cup win as I would a full season. It is somewhere in the middle. It would be rad to hoist the cup again (go Bs!), but I'm probably going to approach this season with a little less intensity. 

At least I say that now. We'll see in May.

Penguins players have been holding voluntary work outs every day at their southpointe rink, paid for by the players, since the beginning of the lockout.  those who did not go overseas to play every day have been working out on a semi-regular schedule, and I feel like that is a pretty common practice among NHL players who are not playing overseas or in the AHL or lower leagues.  Again, you're assuming players are just sitting on their hands doing nothing during the lockout, and are unprepared. 

I'm not assuming anything, definately not that they've been sitting around doing nothing.  You're just being an asshole.

I played football in university and your workouts leading into the season were far more intense than anything you did in the off-season.  Any workout players who weren't playing overseas were doing were most likely to just keep them in shape and keep a firm grip on your skills.  I highly doubt they were prepairing themselves every day to play the next, especially with the general idea that there would be no season this year.

There's a big difference between keeping yourself in good shape and prepairing your body for the season.  If guys had been prepairing for the season since September they would have burnt themseleves out by now.  Which would also lead to more injuries.

my friend and i, both being oblivious to the nhl (does eric lindross still play?), have decided to co-manage a fantasy team. this should be a hilarious debacle.

give me a break, training in college football while a student is not the same thing as a professional athlete who plays a sport for their living. 

Have you ever played an sort of collegate/semi-professional/professional sport in your life?

I'm guessing not since if you had you would know that your training regiment is far more intense the weeks leading into the season as it is during your offseason.

my friend and i, both being oblivious to the nhl (does eric lindross still play?), have decided to co-manage a fantasy team. this should be a hilarious debacle.

I'm the commisoner of a fantasy hockey league and the guy who won the league last year doesn't watch hockey at all.  It's all numbers.

Is anyone else a little reluctant to just start watching again?

Think about all the workers/families the players and owners fucked over, all the people who work at the arenas etc who lost their jobs because of this (right before Christmas too).  It sort of makes me hate the NHL when you think that millionaires arguing over who got more money fucked over peoples lives due to their greed.

yes. Will I be able to stop myself from watching? No. Can I prevent myself from spending $1 on anything licensed by the NHL? Yes, and I will. My girlfriend had gotten me a really nice laser cut flyers logo picture thing for the holidays that was returned.

Have you ever played an sort of collegate/semi-professional/professional sport in your life?

I'm guessing not since if you had you would know that your training regiment is far more intense the weeks leading into the season as it is during your offseason.

THIS WAS NOT AN OFFSEASON.  The players were treating it as if it were a regular season paying for their own practice ice even though they were not going to be playing any games. 

this is a pretty big part of the CBA that just came out:

More details of the NHL’s new CBA were unearthed on Monday, with a big one — teams gaining the right to retain salary in trades — getting plenty of reaction across the league.

The rule, as according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun:

A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso.

Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

Take, for example, San Jose Sharks forward Patrick Marleau, who has two years remaining on his four-year, $27.6 million deal — he’s owed $6.9 million in salary annually and carries a $6.9 million cap hit.

Now, say the Sharks want to trade him to Montreal. (NOTE: Marleau has a no movement clause. ANOTHER NOTE: Montreal is mentioned solely for example purposes.)

The new rule would allow San Jose to absorb $3.45 million in both salary and cap hit to facilitate the deal, leaving Montreal to pay the remaining $3.45 million.