NHL Discussion

So I didn't see the penalty against Columbus but it seems to be a Too Many Men penalty? That's just horrible officiating. Its just not a call you make in a game like this.

yes. it's bad officiating to overlook penalties.

didn't really matter there wasn't a chance in hell that columbus would have come back in the series. you don't come back from 3-0 when you're playing the wings.

all in all a good night. flyers get the shut out and the wings sweep the jackets.

Oh please, that's not a call that needs to be made. Don't pretend for a nanosecond if the Wings lost a game in the playoffs because of a marginal too many men call you'd be happy. That's just ridiculously bad game management from an official.

The way Osgood played I would imagine the Wings feel pretty damn lucky to win that game. I'd be willing to bet if the Jackets win the game tonight they might have been able to force a game 6.

glad Marty stood up and took control.

i'll be there for game 6, hopefully it looks a lot similar to how game 3 was

love it.

like i said, this thing is going back to pitt. flyers are the better and deeper team. it showed tonight b/c there were long stretches of 5 on 5.

also, did someone forget to tell the pitt crowd that it was the playoffs?

glad Marty stood up and took control.

i'll be there for game 6, hopefully it looks a lot similar to how game 3 was

If Biron couldn't control all those pucks the Pens were shooting directly into his chest, I'd say it's time to hang up the skates. He made maybe 5 decent saves, 2 of which he had no idea he was making.

The real story of the game was how the Flyers figured out Fleury's rebounds. Shoot it in on an angle -- he'll kick it out to the low slot on the opposite side -- plant a forward there -- nothing but net. 2 of 3 goals were scored that way. If Pittsburgh doesn't compensate for that post haste, it'll be a tough couple of games ahead.

Has Briere been hanging out with Sean Avery? Those were 2 very stupid penalties he took. Fortunately for him it didn't matter in the end.

Oh please, that's not a call that needs to be made. Don't pretend for a nanosecond if the Wings lost a game in the playoffs because of a marginal too many men call you'd be happy. That's just ridiculously bad game management from an official.

The way Osgood played I would imagine the Wings feel pretty damn lucky to win that game. I'd be willing to bet if the Jackets win the game tonight they might have been able to force a game 6.

the wings have a much better penalty kill than the jackets. so if that call had been made on them at the same point in the game it's most likely they would have forced OT.

really though what difference does it make. if the jackets had won tonight they would have just been prolonging the inevitable.

i do feel sorry for mason though. such a great season then allowing 18 goals in his first 4 playoff games.

the wings have a much better penalty kill than the jackets. so if that call had been made on them at the same point in the game it's most likely they would have forced OT.

really though what difference does it make. if the jackets had won tonight they would have just been prolonging the inevitable.

i do feel sorry for mason though. such a great season then allowing 18 goals in his first 4 playoff games.

every time the cut to Hitchcock he looked like he wanted to stab someone....or get the hotdog guy's attention.

This was a good warm up series. I hope they get Anaheim next.

drabley's draft day diamonds (vol 5)

Pavol Demitra

Position: Center

Draft year: 1993

Round: 9

Overall: 227

Team: Ottawa Senators

Peter Bondra

Position: Center

Draft year: 1990

Round: 8

Overall: 156

Team: Washington Capitals

Brian Campbell

Position: Defense

Draft year: 1997

Round: 6

Overall: 156

Team: Buffalo Sabres

I watched it down on the jumbo screen outside. heckling the drunk steelers fans in penguins merchandise was more fun than the game. Drunken Caveman Lemieux was, by the 3rd period, absolutely blasted. He was so into it. He honestly thought that if we started yelling at the screen that the Pens would hear us and would start playing better. At one point he asked someone for a terrible towel and "not one of those holiday inn towels they're giving away", and then he started trying to get the crowd going with that. It was awesome. So glad he didn't get arrested

Mike Richards could play in any Era.

I watched it down on the jumbo screen outside. heckling the drunk steelers fans in penguins merchandise was more fun than the game. Drunken Caveman Lemieux was, by the 3rd period, absolutely blasted. He was so into it. He honestly thought that if we started yelling at the screen that the Pens would hear us and would start playing better. At one point he asked someone for a terrible towel and "not one of those holiday inn towels they're giving away", and then he started trying to get the crowd going with that. It was awesome. So glad he didn't get arrested

Richards hasn't shown up much on the scorecards in the playoffs so far (1G 3A). But he's been playing good tough hockey. Lot's of great hits so far.

The Pen that's impressed me a lot this series has been Crosby. I know he was looking frustrated last night, but he's been a monster on faceoffs, playing tough and crashing the net.

The Flyers star has to be the rook, Claude Giroux. Next season if he gets on the line with Carter, that is gonna be a monster combo.

miss the second half of your post. i really don't think the jackets would have been able to force a game 6. game 5 would have been back in detroit and enough coaches in the league have said that playing at the joe in the playoffs is like starting the game being down a goal.

at any rate. i'm once again not confident for the wings going into round two. looks like they'll most likely face the ducks who have been hot in the first round. if osgood plays like he did in games 1-3 of the first round should be no problem. if game 4 osgood shows up it might be a quick exit for the wings.

then add in the history between the teams and the fact that pronger could behead one of the wings and not get called for it. it may be a tough series.

You can't be serious? Anaheim has done a number on San Jose, the only game they lost was 4-3. I dare say if I was a fan of any team in the playoffs the one team I wouldn't want to touch right now is the Ducks. Especially because their goaltending has been fantastic.

Be confident sure but don't be stupid, you don't want any part of Anaheim.

at any rate. i'm once again not confident for the wings going into round two. looks like they'll most likely face the ducks who have been hot in the first round. if osgood plays like he did in games 1-3 of the first round should be no problem. if game 4 osgood shows up it might be a quick exit for the wings.

then add in the history between the teams and the fact that pronger could behead one of the wings and not get called for it. it may be a tough series.

Anaheim Offense >>>>>>>>>> CBJ offense. Osgood would have to be much, much better to get the same results. And its really funny listening to a fan of the Winged-Wheel talk about other players not getting called for stuff. The Wings get the benefit of the doubt about 75% of the time when a call could go either way.

i'm not usually one to complain about penalties not being called. but it seems like pronger has a golden ticket to do pretty much whatever he wants on the ice. it's bullshit.

as for the arguement about offense. the same could be said about san jose as columbus. their offense just hasn't been present in round one. so hiller really hasn't had too hard of a time. in game three he did show that he's got weaknesses and i think a hot offensive team like detroit could get to him.

that being said i still like detroit's chances against vancouver more than i like thier chances against the ducks. who knows though. conklin could step up to the plate for detroit if osgood can't cut it. look at last year it was hasek that got the wings through the early parts then osgood stepped in and was lights out.

You can't be serious? Anaheim has done a number on San Jose, the only game they lost was 4-3. I dare say if I was a fan of any team in the playoffs the one team I wouldn't want to touch right now is the Ducks. Especially because their goaltending has been fantastic.

i'd rather face the Ducks than Vancouver. i'm sorry if that upsets you.

Richards hasn't shown up much on the scorecards in the playoffs so far (1G 3A). But he's been playing good tough hockey. Lot's of great hits so far.

The Pen that's impressed me a lot this series has been Crosby. I know he was looking frustrated last night, but he's been a monster on faceoffs, playing tough and crashing the net.

The Flyers star has to be the rook, Claude Giroux. Next season if he gets on the line with Carter, that is gonna be a monster combo.

Lets talk about the face-offs. holy shit, Pens have been dominating this series in the faceoff circle, something to the tune of winning 58% of the time? or was it 55%? either way, thats been really impressive to me, was winning the faceoff battles.

Lets talk about the face-offs. holy shit, Pens have been dominating this series in the faceoff circle, something to the tune of winning 58% of the time? or was it 55%? either way, thats been really impressive to me, was winning the faceoff battles.

Very true. I think that's the big reason the Flyer's power play has been so bad. They can't win. Losing all those faceoffs in the Pen's zone has killed the Flyers all series.

The only part that's upsetting is how badly the Wings would get killed. Oh wait, I'd like that so it works for me. Then Vancouver can get Luongo to stand on his head and off the Ducks. Then I'll be happy. No Ducks, Wings, or Sharks is exactly how I like it.

vancouver will fall apart in the next round.