NHL Discussion

swankymodes - i am convinced that the giroux call in overtime was the worst call i've seen in a long long time.

i've explained why a couple times but i think the biggest evidence for those people who think it's "automatic" is the broken stick slash that lead to a scoring chance in the caps/rags game, and the broken stick slash that lead to a scoring chance against kimo in the last pens/flyers games.

both of those lead to scoring chances and both were in front of the ref. for those to be let go but to call giroux's during a 4-4 in OT is an abomination

I understand what your saying and i see your examples and the timing of the call was a killer for the Flyers. But in my mind, the fact remains that it was a dumb move by Giroux. You just can't make a play like that at that particular time. This is one of the reasons why I think the Flyers had so much more success in Game 3. They really cut down the on the stupid penalties. Yeah, in previous games a lot of the penalties might have been iffy whether they were a call or not, but Flyers players were still putting themselves in that situation. Like the Carter hook. Yeah it looked like the Penguin embellished it, but Carter was out of position and he stuck his stick in there and, penalty or not, it was a bad play.

im not sure if i agree with the Lucic suspension. yeah im a bruins fan, but i think a suspension is a bit harsh, when it appears Lucic and Komisarek were pushing eachother and then Lapierre comes out of nowhere straight at Lucic with all intention to jsut hit him, shove, punch whatever...the point being he isnt paying attention to the play at all and just skating straight at Lucic...so Lucic shoves him in the face...yeah the way he shoves him ends up being a penalty, so it should be a penalty. i think suspending him for the next game is kinda stupid.

all and all, im not too worried about Lucic not being in game 3. however, without Lucic i bet Laraque will do some stupid shit since the B's are down their best fighter in the game.

get a penalty? man, he could of injured Lapierre real bad with crosschecking him in the face like that and it wasn't Komisarek that was involved with Lucic before, it was Schneider. Lucic kept cross checking Schneider so Lapierre comes to Lucic, with no intention to punch, he was just skating at Lucic, than Lucic cross checks him in the face. man, fuck that guy, even if Lapierre didn't get hurt with that crosscheck. a crosscheck to the face is a crosscheck so he deserves that suspension. fuck Lucic.

If it wasn't in the neck/jaw, I'd agree. But it was after the play, he had every intention of cross checking him, whether it was intentional to the face or not, he deserves the suspension in my eyes. It's only one game, if Lapierre had gotten hurt he probably would have been out the rest of the series, if not the rest of the playoffs.

If it wasn't in the neck/jaw, I'd agree. But it was after the play, he had every intention of cross checking him, whether it was intentional to the face or not, he deserves the suspension in my eyes. It's only one game, if Lapierre had gotten hurt he probably would have been out the rest of the series, if not the rest of the playoffs.

At first I thought Lucic was an idiot for doing something to get himself suspended especially hitting someone in the head. Now watching it, while I think a suspension might be warranted, it was no way black-and-white. The way this series is going there should have been suspension before and it would have settled things a bit. I mean Lapierre has been mixing it up in all the games and now he's charging and Lucic. Then the moron puts his damn head down, which helped to get the stick in the head.

well at the end of game 1 when the bruins official won and the the game was over, there was a mess of people punching and shoving, in the end matt hunwick had visible marks all over his face and is now currently in the hospital recovering from his spleen being removed. no penalties or suspensions were given to any canadiens who attacked him at the end of the game. i just think its a bit unfair that lucic got a suspension, when there has been intense hits on both sides during the series.

well at the end of game 1 when the bruins official won and the the game was over, there was a mess of people punching and shoving, in the end matt hunwick had visible marks all over his face and is now currently in the hospital recovering from his spleen being removed. no penalties or suspensions were given to any canadiens who attacked him at the end of the game. i just think its a bit unfair that lucic got a suspension, when there has been intense hits on both sides during the series.

I agree. At this point the NHL has said this series is "a-okay" as far as all the nastiness. You can't turn that ship around now mid-cruise.

I agree to a point. The NHL should be consistent and they haven't been. I mean compare the Carcillo and Camallerri hits. And there has been obvious misconduct in the Boston/Montreal series that probably should have resulted in a suspension or fine of some kind. But you can't use someone else's actions as an excuse for your own. Plain and simple, he cross checked the dude right in the head/neck, he deserved a suspension.

I agree to a point. The NHL should be consistent and they haven't been. I mean compare the Carcillo and Camallerri hits. And there has been obvious misconduct in the Boston/Montreal series that probably should have resulted in a suspension or fine of some kind. But you can't use someone else's actions as an excuse for your own. Plain and simple, he cross checked the dude right in the head/neck, he deserved a suspension.

Its the tone and tempo of the series. It could have been resolved with more definitive action in game one after the end of the game. It wasn't. Now its escalated. Like I said, I don't disagree with the suspension but I think it should have happened sooner. That cross-check was no worse than other melees in the series.

i've got a lucic jersey so of course i'm a huge fan...but if it's stick to face/head 1 game easy.

i'm not to pissed off right now because you take out lucic and put in bitz and move up wheeler. not much of a difference IMO.

but i do have a problem with his at the end of game 1 hunwick first just MISSED getting decked for a high elbow with less than 10 seconds left...NO CALL/NO SUSEPNSION!...then gets eye gouged and once again..NOTHING...

hopefully this 1 game suspension settles things down and no one gets really hurt on either side.

who knows...if bergeron is throwing the gloves off then all bets are out the window.

we'll see what happens if the bruins go up 3 to 0 or 4 to 1 tonight and then chara/thorton are on the ice with laraque...

LOL!!!!

NEW YORK -- The New York Rangers had an interested observer sitting on the visitor's bench as they took the ice for their pregame skate Monday morning.

Stanley Cup Playoffs Blog

Check out the latest updates and analysis from the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs as our NHL crew weighs in:

Washington Capitals winger Alex Ovechkin was watching the Rangers practice when a Rangers trainer complained to the Capitals. Washington PR man Nate Ewell then asked Ovechkin to leave the area.

"Alex was just looking for a place to relax. He likes being by the ice," said Ewell. "As soon as he found out it made the Rangers uncomfortable, he left."

When asked why the Rangers wanted him to leave, Ovechkin joked: "Because they're afraid of me."

When asked why he did it, Ovechkin joked that he sat there to "tick off" Rangers coach John Tortorella. His answer drew many laughs from reporters.

Tortorella insisted after the skate he had no idea Ovechkin was there.

"Who? Oh, god, this is the first I've heard of it," said Tortorella. "Ask me a question about the game, not that [expletive]."

"I don't think he had a pen and paper and was writing down line combinations," joked Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. "I can understand [the Rangers asking him to leave]. I've gotten into the same arguments with people when I've wanted privacy in my practice, so I can understand what John was going through."

i think avery proved that he's the biggest dumbass in the nhl. first he stops to make sure no one is around. then he goes up and tries to shit talk a goalie who doesn't even speak english. lol. then when his team has a chance to possibly get back in the game he takes a couple stupid penalties.

the best was tort's face while avery went off the ice. you could just see in his eyes that he doesn't want avery on his team.

can i ask why martin brodeur breaking the most wins record is so celebrated? my sister bought me back a puck commemerating it. sure its a good achievement i guess, but isnt it more a reflection on the teams he has played in then how good he is?

ive no idea how he ranks amongst other goalies. im only new to the game really. but i dunno, it seemed like a huge deal with the amount of junk the nhl sent to my inbox about it.

our national ice hockey league starts here in a couple of weeks. i got a membership and plan to goto every game..

have enjoyed reading you guys discuss everything hockey. its a good place to a little bit about a lot. not sure who to follow in the playoffs. hoping the devils might go a fair way. dont really have a team yet. i just like to see good hockey

can i ask why martin brodeur breaking the most wins record is so celebrated? my sister bought me back a puck commemerating it. sure its a good achievement i guess, but isnt it more a reflection on the teams he has played in then how good he is?

ive no idea how he ranks amongst other goalies. im only new to the game really. but i dunno, it seemed like a huge deal with the amount of junk the nhl sent to my inbox about it.

our national ice hockey league starts here in a couple of weeks. i got a membership and plan to goto every game..

have enjoyed reading you guys discuss everything hockey. its a good place to a little bit about a lot. not sure who to follow in the playoffs. hoping the devils might go a fair way. dont really have a team yet. i just like to see good hockey

It's just one of those things were a broken record is celebrated. He broke Patrick Roy's wins record and the numbers are great. He is an amazing goaltender.

sure its a good achievement i guess, but isnt it more a reflection on the teams he has played in then how good he is?

There's a saying, that I'm sure I'm going to butcher, but it should shed some light on the value of a great goaltender. Hockey is a team affair, sure, but the goaltender is the anchor of it all.

A good Forward makes 2 guys better.

A good Defenseman makes 4 guys better.

A good Goaltender makes 5 guys better.

I'm still not sold on Brodeur as the best goaltender of all time, but there's no arguement that he is phenomenal and we're fortunate to have been alive during his reign.

sure its a good achievement i guess, but isnt it more a reflection on the teams he has played in then how good he is?

There's a saying, that I'm sure I'm going to butcher, but it should shed some light on the value of a great goaltender. Hockey is a team affair, sure, but the goaltender is the anchor of it all.

A good Forward makes 2 guys better.

A good Defenseman makes 4 guys better.

A good Goaltender makes 5 guys better.

I'm still not sold on Brodeur as the best goaltender of all time, but there's no arguement that he is phenomenal and we're fortunate to have been alive during his reign.

And I still say calling ranking a player lower because he plays on good teams is silly. You have to play on good teams to win when you play a team sport. In hockey moreso than in any other sport it takes a team. Brodeur was a huge part of that team. You can reference Clemmensen and make a knock on Brodeur based on that but I still say Scotty wouldn't have won 400 games and 40 games seven times. Brodeur is at least as good as Roy, whatever that means to you or anyone else.

I can't say that I'm dazzled by this post season thusfar.

The Keystone series has been of attention because of the obvious rivalry and subsequent banter, but I can't say that the hockey itself has been riveting.

Boston/Montreal is going much the way that was expected, though I would have thought Montreal would have taken a game by now. The shenanigans are also to be expected, given the end of the regular season. Nothing special happening here.

Anaheim isn't so much a shocker as San Jose a disappointment. This was the hardest series to call, at least for me.

Blues and Blue Jackets are rolling over, for the most part. Nothing incredibly exciting going on in either series besides Luongo and watching the Sedins.

Canes/Devils could be a long one, but the games have been pretty sloppily played, especially that first one.

Caps/Rags just got a lot more interesting with that rookie goalie. Jose Theodore shold bury his head in the sand after being showed up like that.

But Hawks/Flames -- that's the series to be watching. Goaltending has been great on both ends. And watching the Hawks, really for the first time this season in any great detail, is quite impressive. The way they trail that third man in a 2 on 2 is superb -- the two up front just hold the puck and clear lanes for the third man flying up the wing.

The different styles of play are pretty pronounced. Calgary plays a physical brand of hockey that allows them to dominate the low zone offensively and use their size and strength to take guys out and disrupt plays defensively. Chicago, on the other hand, is so fast that they've already executed the play before Calgary has time to disrupt it. And defensively, rather than rub guys out to stop a play like Calgary, it's like Chigago is happy with altering the play through good positioning so they can recover the puck and break the zone quickly. It's almost like watching a team of fat/medium guys (Calgary) vs. a team of skinny/medium guys (Chicago) in Nintendo's Ice Hockey.