NHL Discussion

i don't get how you babies can cry bullshit on the last penalty... he slashed his stick in two, that's an automatic penalty. and a obvious one.

I don't call bullshit on the fact that it was called, I just think it's a bullshit rule. Sticks (especially composite) break way too easily to the point where the rule is almost a joke.

the broken stick is not a rule, it should not be an automatic penalty

and suburbanargyle - frankly, you are nuts if you think knuble's and giroux's penalty should have been penalties. of course they shouldn't have been, and orpik's call was weak as hell, which lead to an "evening up" which in all honesty is a disgrace to the league and sport.

the fact that fans know and think it's okay for an official to make a "make up" call just boggles my mind. the refs should only call a penalty if it breaks the rules, if it does...what does a make up call establish? it's flat out pathetic.

again, in the capitals game a slash to a broken stick happened right in front of a ref and lead to a scoring chance. giroux's stick check was away from the play and had nothing to do with any type of scoring chance and a penalty would lead to a 5 on 3 for a minute and half. that is flat out absurd, no matter what team commits it.

i'm sorry, but i don't think there should ever be a penalty in playoff OT unless someone stops a legit scoring chance illegally.

it's not about missed calls, it's about refs changing what they call at the end of the game. they weren't calling carter's or any of the OT penalties in the first 56 mins, why in the hell would you change it during the most critical part?

Kimmo Timonen is a stand up guy and one of the best defensemen in the league.

This is what he had to say about the officials...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-flyers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen questioned if the officials are treating his team the same as the Penguins.

“What I noticed was, I didn’t see the refs yelling at their bench at all. Not one time,” Timonen said. “I could see them coming over to our bench a few times. It makes you always wonder why.”

Timonen said the Flyers deserved the same respect from the refs as he feels they gave Pittsburgh.

“You see these guys going to the refs and talking to them, and it looks like (the refs) talk to them back,” Timonen said. “We go talk to them and they yell at us. It’s a little bit of a difference. It’s not something we can control.”

Flyers coach John Stevens hoped the players like captain Mike Richards, Timonen and Simon Gagne were respected enough by the officials that they would at least earn the chance to explain their gripes and grievances.

and suburbanargyle - frankly, you are nuts if you think knuble's and giroux's penalty should have been penalties. of course they shouldn't have been, and orpik's call was weak as hell, which lead to an "evening up" which in all honesty is a disgrace to the league and sport.

the fact that fans know and think it's okay for an official to make a "make up" call just boggles my mind. the refs should only call a penalty if it breaks the rules, if it does...what does a make up call establish? it's flat out pathetic.

again, in the capitals game a slash to a broken stick happened right in front of a ref and lead to a scoring chance. giroux's stick check was away from the play and had nothing to do with any type of scoring chance and a penalty would lead to a 5 on 3 for a minute and half. that is flat out absurd, no matter what team commits it.

i'm sorry, but i don't think there should ever be a penalty in playoff OT unless someone stops a legit scoring chance illegally.

it's not about missed calls, it's about refs changing what they call at the end of the game. they weren't calling carter's or any of the OT penalties in the first 56 mins, why in the hell would you change it during the most critical part?

Wah. The way the game is called nowadays, they were penalties. So you think that away from the play, players should be allowed to knock each others sticks out of their hands every chance they get? What a stupid spectacle that would be. Also, the last thing an official wants to do is to make himself a part of the game. An official never WANTS to make a call in an OT situation. They want the players to play just like we do.

Also, the Pens should've gotten a penalty shot when Hartnell threw his stick. You wanna talk about a missed call...

"An official never WANTS to make a call in an OT situation. They want the players to play just like we do."

um...lol, did you not watch the game last night.

"So you think that away from the play, players should be allowed to knock each others sticks out of their hands every chance they get? What a stupid spectacle that would be."

you don't get it. look at the situation.

"giroux's stick check was away from the play and had nothing to do with any type of scoring chance"

you don't get it. it doesn't matter the situation.

Hey, out of curiosity, where are the Phantoms going to play next year? I was thinking about this earlier because my dad called to tell me he was driving up to what could be the last game at the Spectrum.

Hey, out of curiosity, where are the Phantoms going to play next year? I was thinking about this earlier because my dad called to tell me he was driving up to what could be the last game at the Spectrum.

not figured out yet, there's a strong possibility that it will be out in the Lehigh Valley

Wah. The way the game is called nowadays, they were penalties. So you think that away from the play, players should be allowed to knock each others sticks out of their hands every chance they get? What a stupid spectacle that would be. Also, the last thing an official wants to do is to make himself a part of the game. An official never WANTS to make a call in an OT situation. They want the players to play just like we do.

Also, the Pens should've gotten a penalty shot when Hartnell threw his stick. You wanna talk about a missed call...

Yeah, that was pretty much bullshit that a penalty shot wasn't given. but whatever, pens won, flyers lost.

"giroux's stick check was away from the play and had nothing to do with any type of scoring chance"

you don't get it. it doesn't matter the situation.

situation's mean everything on a subjective call. and nope, it was not automatic as evidenced by the rule book and the noncall in the caps/rags game.

no clue about the phantoms.

and detroit doesn't develop all their own talent, or else i missed all those years hosa spent there. ;)

yeah dude, they have no homegrown talent....

the wings have been the best team in the last decade at drafting players. the best.

bunch of assclowns in DC.

DC fans and Pitt fans remind me a lot of each other.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

and your point is? we play in one of the smallest arenas in the NHL, when we sell out every game, we're still 19th in attendance. 12,000 avg for that team, led by the amazing dick tarnstrom in scoring, is an accomplishment. WBS could have beat them on most nights. i didn't make it to any games that season, but i still watched them all on FSN. get some local tv numbers and talk to me then. first real pens game i went to was in 05/06, been to about 6 since then. been to countless WBS games over the years.

and detroit doesn't develop all their own talent, or else i missed all those years hosa spent there. ;)

never said they develop all of their own talent.

BUT.

datsyuk, filppula, franzen, helm, holmstrom, hudler, kopecky, kronwall, lebda, lidstrom, meech, osgood, zetterburg, ericsson, downey.

all drafted or signed as free agents to start their career in detroit.