Planning a trip to Alaska, any suggestions?

Got married a couple weeks ago and we are planning to take our honeymoon in Alaska next May/June.

Don't really have anything finalized yet, still figuring out what we want to do. Maybe a cruise, maybe just drive around.

Anchorage? Fairbanks? Juneau?

Haven't picked where we want to go either, although Wasilla is not an option.

Any suggestions of places to see, places to stay, things to do, etc would be appreciated.

i have a friend who plays hockey in fairbanks and says there is nothing there. stay around juneau for as long as you can because the weather is reasonable there and anchorage is supposed to be really really nice, but there is probably snow already so i dont know how much you will be able to see.

aaaaand go on a cruise down the coast. that might be expensive

Guest baseball

Dress so as not to resemble wild life, you might get shot down from a plane.

Real Suggestion: My fiance's parents got back from an Alaskan cruise not too long ago. They said it was really great.

i went about 10 years ago, i suggest:

glacier bay national park, pan for gold, see the iditarod trail, the pipeline, go to a small town and learn about the culture and stuff. depending on the time of year, you can pack jeans and sweat shirts in the summer. in katzabu the sun didn't go down, it just hung on the horizon. pretty weird at 4am. go on a train tour if you can, they take you to some sweet places only accessible by rail. go whale watching if you can afford it. go over the arctic circle if you can. finally, eat as much salmon as humanly possible. it's fantastic there.

i'd rate Alaska over Hawaii in regards to my vacations there.

I went a couple years ago and had fun. I had a friend that lived there so I stayed with him. There are some awesome hikes around anchorage and beyond. Anchorage is the coolest city and it is very small. The drive to fairbanks is like 8 or 9 hours with no speed limits, no buildings(wildlife preserve) and no cars and maybe a moose or two. Fairbanks kinda sucked but there were some cool hot springs about an hour away that has an ice hotel that is expensive as fuck and its all run by geothermal energy. Its nice in the summer about 65-70 degrees and daylight most of the day. you can be out doing stuff til almost midnight and its still bright out.

not much in the way of record stores. they have a few hot topics though. not many punk shows either. they are still stoked on the against me tour that went to all 50 states.

definitely check out the glaciers and ice worms. there are a couple cool aquariums near anchorage.

Go earlier rather than later. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day prices on everything go through the roof due to the tourist invasion. If you can get in before that, do! Last September, I spent a week in Fairbanks for a conference - not tons to do there, Grant mentioned the Hot Springs, there's also the town of North Pole, AK nearby. And Denali National Park is two hours down the road. I was able to route my return flight between Fairbanks and Anchorage through Barrow for no extra cost. Fun to get off the plane for a few minutes and walk around, say you've been there.

Can't speak for Anchorage, but I'd guess that would be the best bet in terms of things to do and see.

Panning for gold was pretty fun, but that's something you can do other places in America.

Thrillho had some good suggestions... if you're into seafood, it doesn't get any better than up in Alaska. The salmon there is amazing.

I took an airplane to the top of Mt. McKinley. It was pretty awesome. Apparently it's the highest point in North America.

If you guys like animals (especially dogs) you can go to a Siberian Husky breeding/training ground and take a tour. When you get off the bus, they immediately hand you a puppy to hold. It's adorable. Also, it's really educational and interesting cause they teach you about the Iditarod. Pretty cool.

Go to Denali National Park and take a wildlife bus tour. They're long (you can pick between a 4 hour and an 8 hour tour i believe) but they're bad as shit. When we went, we saw TONS of animals... bears, caribou, mountain goats, all sorts of cool stuff.

Other things... go to a glacier, go to the pipeline (it's really pretty boring once you're there, but it's a cool thing to say you've seen... and the sheer size of it is amazing), and take a train somewhere you can only get to by train. And make sure you do something outside at like 2 or 3 am that you would regularly do during the afternoon since it stays light out 22 hours a day (depending on when in the summer you go).

It's going to be an awesome trip. Enjoy. :)

• 3 weeks later...