7" singles w/ large hole

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, can someone explain exactly how records get damaged inside a jukebox?

Its the way they're stored and then moved into the position to be played. Then, the needle dropping on the record scratches it. Records are very sensitive (as you know) and require care when placing the needle, and the automated tone arms don't do it perfectly every time.

Basically, records can only take so much abuse. They can be played for years and years without problems IF you take care of them, but a machine is unable to take the proper precautions necesary to keep everything looking/playing fine. It just gets tossed around like a rag doll.

If you've ever seen a 45 from a jukebox you'd see how beat up they can get.

To be fair, it's entirely possible that the reason you see records that have been fucked up by a jukebox is due to a lack of proper care. My guess is that as long as the jukebox was playing fine, most people didn't mess with it. So it could just be the lack of maintenance.

For example, my jukebox uses a 'double sided' stylus. You can flip the needle over because one of the needles is for use with 78s. I replaced the needle on mine last night and the people had been using the wrong side of the needle. It made a tremendous difference in sound quality. And it was quite possibly tearing up my records.

I also adjusted the tonearm pressure. And the way the records are stores is completely harmless to them. The way my particular jukebox picks them up for play is also relatively harmless to the record.

I always assumed all jukeboxes tore up the records, but the more I think about it, I don't see how mine could be hurt once the jukebox is set up properly.

I'll try to take a picture of a record that's been damaged by a jukebox and post it

To be fair, it's entirely possible that the reason you see records that have been fucked up by a jukebox is due to a lack of proper care. My guess is that as long as the jukebox was playing fine, most people didn't mess with it. So it could just be the lack of maintenance.

For example, my jukebox uses a 'double sided' stylus. You can flip the needle over because one of the needles is for use with 78s. I replaced the needle on mine last night and the people had been using the wrong side of the needle. It made a tremendous difference in sound quality. And it was quite possibly tearing up my records.

I also adjusted the tonearm pressure. And the way the records are stores is completely harmless to them. The way my particular jukebox picks them up for play is also relatively harmless to the record.

I always assumed all jukeboxes tore up the records, but the more I think about it, I don't see how mine could be hurt once the jukebox is set up properly.

I'll try to take a picture of a record that's been damaged by a jukebox and post it

Oh, by the way. That Green Day 7" has the big hole!

the measure (sa) - historical fiction 7"

all the art of the underground singles club 7"s

rye coalition - zz topless,

rye coalition - teenage dance sessions

rye coalition/vss 2x7"

rye coalition/maximillian colby

neil perry - gettin our tour on

neil perry/usurp synapse

most all of the sub pop singles club

[image]

Elliott - If They Do - Black

[image]