What video games have you been playing?

It does man (but XB1 sucks equally, or even more, so far, IMO). They have no good games out yet.

Opinions. I for one loved Dead Rising 3, Peggle 2, and Forza.

Most games you spray guys with bullets, this game actually makes you CARE because you see what damage 1 bullet actually can do like in real life and that is actually a VERY important step in video games. In 5 years people will look back at how that had an impact on games overall.

You're talking about the survival horror game genre that died years ago.

No man, I'm not though.

In Resident Evil every bullet mattered in the sense that you'd run out of ammo. Not in the sense that a single bullet placed between a human beings's eyes would drop him dead and make his brain come out of the back of his head. TLoU is the anti-bullet spray game. Like 'this is what would happen in real life, guns/bullets are dangerous IRL and not to be toyed around with.' The kind of game that makes you think and hopefully CARE about living beings. In Resident Evil you don't ever feel remorse for a zombie and also they don't drop after 1 bullet they keep on coming. Hope you see what I am trying to say.

I played Peggle 1, it's one of those games that makes everyone feel like a superstar no matter how terrible you are at games. It doesn't matter what you do, you basically press X, a bunch of fireworks and confetti fly, you get an insanely high score, repeat.

I honestly wasn't going to comment at first but then I was like 'meh this is too juicy not too, and the whole point was to get a discussion going so why not come back with my 2 cents.' Also it was kinda jerky to say I was 'ignorant' when I already stated I was purely speculating on industry trends. Maybe I am ignorant to your personal preference of games, and how much you are willing to spend to play them.

Had to cancel out my upvotes too, you're rude that's a terrible way to argue :P

Do you know what ignorant means? It doesn't mean stupid, idiot, dumb, etc. It means you are unaware (you used it correctly just now as well!), which is exactly what you are when you mention Nintendo and motion gaming.

Spending 300 bucks to play things that cost $60 each isn't too crazy. And I play all games as long as they are good, my PSN is Shleby check it out.

Alright man, I think I'm done here, if you are going to insult my intelligence by proposing that I don't know what 'ignorant' means, of course I do. You just said yourself I used it correctly, clearly I know very well what it means. I think I do a good enough job at communicating but it's tiresome to have to explain everything in painstaking detail. Also the thing that bothers me about the internet is how people treat you like a screen name and not a real person. Was trying to have a civilized discussion not looking to be personally attacked so I think I'm done with this. This thread had a bit of a good discussion going, which I guess is better than people dropping in naming a game so that it's not even a coherent thread, but when it's reduced to personal attacks, that's not cool. I don't think I'll be adding you Shelby, sorry.

Also I'm at a loss to decode what your first sentence there meant, not sure if you were saying I was rude, I don't believe that was the case as all, I think I've done a good job of communicating my points and sorry I can't say the same for you.

I think that lots of people would say paying $360 to play 1 game is insane, but if you can afford to buy systems like it ain't no thing then you are a very, very lucky person and I hope you appreciate the things you've been given in your life.

You gave your PSN handle and told me to 'check it out' I'd have to add you to see what games you play. If I'm wrong then maybe tell me why, you're welcome to explain.

I didn't ask you to add me. I'm not even being rude, you're just interpreting what I say that way so you can back out when someone challenges what you say.

^As for that bit I feel the exact same way, (you attacked my intelligence, which isn't really up for debate, sorry. But it was rude, suggesting that I was ignorant I also found rude.) So I guess the feeling is mutual. I can stick around until a consensus is reached, although it might not be worth explaining everything in painstaking detail. If neither party concedes (I do not.) then we'll just have to agree to disagree and maybe we'll consult this thread 5 years from now and see how everyone's opinions stack up at that point.

You gave your PSN handle and told me to 'check it out' I'd have to add you to see what games you play. If I'm wrong then maybe tell me why, you're welcome to explain.

^As for that bit I feel the exact same way, so I guess the feeling is mutual.

You can search it on PS4 or on SEN. You're going through negging my posts and then pouting about having real conversations. Stop being a hypocrite dude, games aren't that serious.

98b895b0550de84245186b06172b29cf.png

1f4920185fdc7dd70f743267ee543719.png

Ah, so you're mad I negged you. I get it now, well you can't change updown/votes so I guess we'll both have to live with it.

So you've addressed that 1 detail (out of everything) I see what you meant by that sentence now. Sorry you feel that downvotes are a poor way to argue, or mad that your reputation points got cancelled-out. Also, I didn't know you could look up a PS tag online, I apologize for being ignorant. (Look I know what a 3 syllable word means!)

Maybe I'll spend some time away from this board and sign up for a video game board to discuss games instead, maybe there will be better camaraderie over there.

Sorry man, I was trying to effectively communicate, but I don't think you are reading critically and understanding, so it's kind of a lost cause to even bother continuing, know what I mean? I'm not backing out cause you challenged what I said. I've addressed pretty much every point you've brought up fairly democratically considering you've attacked me personally by attempting to insult my intelligence/knowledge of the english language.

I can't re-up the same statements, but if you'd like I can upvote 2 of your other posts so that your rep balance is restored to where you feel it should be. Would that be okay?

You, on the other hand, respond to multi-paragraph statements with single sentences, and everything else you don't acknowledge, so I think I'm done attempting to enlighten you. Enjoy having enough cash to blow on as many games as you like you are much more fortunate than the vast majority of people in this world so good for you! I hope you appreciate the things you've been given. Enjoy your gaming.

I honestly don't care enough to reply with more than one sentence because you've already said you're a brick wall. Well, that and the fact that I was taking a shit typing on my phone. You keep flip-flopping back and forth between "direction of the industry" and your own personal opinions (with a ton of ego being thrown around for some reason).

It seems you're just offended that someone enjoys Nintendo games as much as Playstation games. I've said multiple times that I own more than one game for the Wii U and you still throw the "$360 to play one game" argument around. The Last of Us is my favorite game from last year and almost my favorite from the entire generation, does that make you happy? I have the stupid platinum trophy I liked it so much. I've beaten it like 6 times. I AGREE with what you say about everything EXCEPT Nintendo because what you said wasn't true.

^_^

You're not reading critically and understanding what I'm saying. An average person prob won't shell out $360 to play Pikmin 3 for example. That was your example of a good game/reason to buy a Wii U, I'm saying that I don't think it's worth $360 for another person for play Pikmin 3, not talking about you.

Basically I'm saying the entire library of Wii U games isn't worth the introductory cost of the system. Once a Zelda rolls around I'll prob be all' damn I want a Wii U just for that 1 game.' But I don't know that I'd be able to justify the cost. So many more better games on other systems and not everyone can afford multiple systems just to play 1 game, or 2 games on one of those systems. Hope you understand what I'm saying. Don't really care how you feel about TLoU or what games you've got plats on, sorry. Time will tell what becomes of Nintendo, neither of us are an oracle, just speculating based on industry trends and yes of course my own bias/opinions. (I'm sure they've got enough Mario/Zelda money to keep afloat for a while.) It is virtually impossible to separate a person from their bias, try as we might. My main point about Nintendo is they are a company who rests on their laurels. They've got Shigeru Miyamoto but once he retires, they're likely dunzo. That man is a visionary and is irreplaceable. Basically, they are running on the fumes of the big franchises. Nothing they've done recently lives up to the legacy. They'd better deliver a stellar Zelda if they want to maintain any relevancy.

If anyone else wants to chime in I'd be all for reading what anyone has to say. That is, if anyone cares enough to go back to page 225 and read through everything from Kevin's post about PC elitists until now, and then give their 2 cents. Heck, maybe I am ignorant, rude, and stupid. Maybe I'm a jerk cause I downvoted 2 of your posts. (I don't believe any of those things are true. Even if it was popular opinion, plenty of absurdities have reached higher levels of popularity, so I don't really think it's accurate to use popular opinion as your compass' needle.) On the other hand I do believe firmly in being open-minded and open to the possibility of self-improvement because no matter what no one is perfect and there is always room for improvement.

For what it's worth I work a part time job and I shelled out $340 just to play Animal Crossing on the 3DS.

And while I don't own a Wii U just yet the Windwaker HD special edition has almost sold me a number of times - and even while nothing they do seems to make sense to "serious gamers" they still hold their own in a huge way and have an insane following.

In fact - Nintendo is the only reason video games are what they are. So, I mean for that alone... Take them seriously.

Edit: also up votes / down votes are kind of silly.

I would recommend checking out the film 'Indie Game: The Movie' AND it's extras, especially the thing where Phil Fish (Fez) and Jon Blow (Braid) give their take on current Japanese videogames as opposed to the classics, like Mario and Zelda. Since you won't take my word for it, maybe you will believe them. Seek out the film and get that clip, I'll try to find it for you. It caused a lot of controversy so you can read about it online but the press blew it up so it's best to watch the actual press conference.

I would recommend checking out the film 'Indie Game: The Movie' AND it's extras, especially the thing where Phil Fish (Fez) and Jon Blow (Braid) give their take on current Japanese videogames as opposed to the classics, like Mario and Zelda. Since you won't take my word for it, maybe you will believe them. Seek out the film and get that clip, I'll try to find it for you. It caused a lot of controversy so you can read about it online but the press blew it up so it's best to watch the actual press conference.

Phil Fish made a great game - but he's still a pretentious dick.

For what it's worth I work a part time job and I shelled out $340 just to play Animal Crossing on the 3DS.

And while I don't own a Wii U just yet the Windwaker HD special edition has almost sold me a number of times - and even while nothing they do seems to make sense to "serious gamers" they still hold their own in a huge way and have an insane following.

In fact - Nintendo is the only reason video games are what they are. So, I mean for that alone... Take them seriously.

Edit: also up votes / down votes are kind of silly.

Check out the footage of that press conference from IGTM!

Yeah, re-looked up the clip.

It's art-gaming dudes talking about how games are too easy.

Heaven forbid something is simple and fun.

Hey, I know that game developer leads the industry in sales and continues to knock hit after hit out of the park with only a handful of IPs.

But - fuck those guys for making fun games.

Amiright?

Same with your Peggle argument.

I play complex art games too - but you know what? fun is fun.

Where did you find the clip? Can you link/post it here? I looked on YT couldn't find it so I booted up my copy of IGTM, it's an extra included in the special edition I think, the extra is called 'PHIL + JAPAN' on the film.

Peggle is probably the WORST (best?) example (Doesn't really matter where you point the ball, there is no way to lose, appeals to the lowest common denominator.) But like I said before you can't seperate a person from their bias.

I prob should have kept in mind this is a vinyl board and tastes would be more casual. See a lot fewer people here playing really good games. (Most often the most mainstream, blockbuster stuff. Yawn.)

I grew up on games, starting with Atari, I had some out there systems over the years like Sega CD and Game Gear, I watch press conferences and E3 coverage a lot, I keep up to date on the industry with TV shows like RotR/EP, watch docs like IGTM, hung out with dudes who program AIs, considered a career in games, currently working on my own indie game, etc. So I'm just going to say that I believe I know enough to know what I'm talking about. And I believe that with more knowledge one formulates 'better' opinions.

Where did you find the clip? Can you link/post it here? I looked on YT couldn't find it so I booted up my copy of IGTM, it's an extra included in the special edition I think, the extra is called 'PHIL + JAPAN' on the film.

I googled "Indie Game The Movie Japan" to refresh my memory.

There is a transcript here :https://www.facebook.com/notes/max-hann/transcript-from-the-indie-game-the-movie-gdc-panel/10151743997602726

Haha yeah okay I was looking for the actual press conf. vid but I guess that works for anyone who has fb.

If you watch the actual clip it is heartbreaking when the guy asks his question, the answer he gets. And for the record I am totally biased, I LOVE Japan, Japanese culture, Japanese videogames past and present.

To weigh in on early - I wouldn't say that you're being ignorant but I would for damn sure say you're being arrogant.

But like I said before you can't separate a person from their bias.

so I think this discussion is over then.

You don't like simplicity.

You want things to be complicated like dual booting OS to run a game with graphic mods.

Cool.

I can get down with that.

The PC gaming community is rad. I respect that.

BUT I / a lot of people also want to relax after a long day of work and play something simple - something to remove myself from the complexities of seemingly everything.

The Last of Us isn't even in my top 5 for last year. You know why? It wasn't fun to me. It was stressful and annoying 90% of the time I was playing it. I didn't feel the emotional connection I was supposed to - not like the ones I feel playing Tell Tale games or something like that.

To come in here and tell us we are casuals because we don't hang out with game devs.

Fuck that.

Edit: I have work in the morning. I'm going to bed.

Dude, I don't even game on PC yet. I said I was considering it in the future. LOL These days I mostly game on PS3 and GC for consoles (mostly PS3) and for cpu I play a few indie titles on Mac via Steam. I own Skyrim for PS3 and PC but haven't booted it on PC yet for that exact reason, first I'd have to make a Windows partition, which I will prob do eventually.

It's cool if 1 or 2 ppl don't wanna take my word for it but Phil Fish and Jon Blow have both done amazing things, so maybe you'll take their word for it instead? Although probably not haha. But yeah my point is, if you don't find my opinion to be enough worth considering, then maybe you will consider theirs? Since I think their opinions are worth considering and could shed some light on something one might have been previously ignorant to haha. There's that word again, dang.

Dude I don't even game on PC yet. I said I was considering it in the future. LOL

It's cool if 1 or 2 ppl don't wanna take my word for it but Phil Fish and Jon Blow have both done amazing things, so maybe you'll take their word for it instead? Although probably not haha. But yeah my point is, if you don't find my opinion to be enough worth considering, then maybe you will consider theirs? Since I think their opinions are worth considering and could shed some light on something one might have been previously ignorant to haha. There's that word again, dang.

I'm not "not taking your word for it" I'm disagreeing with you.

And those pretentious fucks.

Yeah they made good games. Cool

They still have shitty opinions on the state of things.

I've seen the clip.

I own IGTM special edition.

I considered it.

Doesn't mean I agree with every word out of their mouths. 

Ha alright man sorry, guess I'll sign up for a video game message board to discuss games and keep to vinyl on the vinyl board. I apologize. (Note to self: vinyl board gamers are most likely [but not neseccarily] casuals.)

Would still love to hear from anyone else (any core gamers 'round here? LOL) since the last few pages is basically just Shelb, Kev, and I.