What video games have you been playing?

Papers Please is excellent.  New computer coming in next week so I'll finally had one decent enough to run Civ 5 on more than the bare minimum settings.

i bought papers please on steam because of the press it gets. I played the free flash game before, is there really a story behind it? everywhere they kind of imply that there is a twist but i dont want to google it for spoilers. already had gone home ruined (still was excellent though..)  

btw all of you who got a 3ds recently should get Virtue Last Reward if you enjoy adventure driven games. but before you do get the first game in the serie 999 on DS before its impossible to find. theyres a few on ebay

i bought papers please on steam because of the press it gets. I played the free flash game before, is there really a story behind it? everywhere they kind of imply that there is a twist but i dont want to google it for spoilers. already had gone home ruined (still was excellent though..)  

I'm about 12 "days" into story mode and they seem to be building onto something.  I enjoy it so far.

Marathon pounded out Persona 4, that game grew on me.  Not a game I was in love with but the combat was definitely something a bit different than i've previously played.  The relationship angles were a bit to much for me, but was still a good time.

Picked up the YS game and am immediately regretting it.  Guess I should do a better job researching before purchase.

End up wishing I wouldn't have picked up the Vita.  Didn't know that they stopped doing the sports games for it.  Excited for Final Fantasy X coming soon other than that I mostly just want to download games that I used to play on the PS1

Marathon pounded out Persona 4, that game grew on me.  Not a game I was in love with but the combat was definitely something a bit different than i've previously played.  The relationship angles were a bit to much for me, but was still a good time.

Picked up the YS game and am immediately regretting it.  Guess I should do a better job researching before purchase.

I just got this last weekend. I am almost 12 and a half hours in & im completely addicted. Its a fun game and completely different than what I expected, which has turned about to be awesome.

Was rippin indie games on the cpu for a while, Braid, The Binding of Isaac, a little bit of Fez. Got Fallout 1 on the cpu too but I kept getting stuck. Been playing more PS3 lately. Finished a NG+ of Mass Effect 3 on Insanity difficulty. Also been playing Fallout: New Vegas vanilla, Batman: Arkham City GOTY, Valkyria Chronicles, and Dragon's Crown.

It helps though :P

Graphics are like little icing flowers on the icing on the metaphorical cake, its metaphorical because I don't like real cake.

And in this case the dude was arguing about frame-rate on high-end PCs vs consoles.

Like I couldn't have enjoyed Skyrim because I didn't have graphic mods running at max capacity the entire time.

I played Skyrim on PS3 and all of the DLCs and I loved it. I got a platinum on the vanilla game and then 100% again after the DLC trophy patch. On PS3 I put probably 400+ hours into that game, all characters combined. With my main I got every daedric artifact, main quest, mage and thief sidequests in full etc. plus all 3 DLCs and even after all that (huge save file size) it still ran okay.

I bought the anthology but I'm not sure if my cpu is powerful enough to run it, probably on medium settings though, so it would probably be pretty much the same, but truth be told on a high end PC it probably would perform better than on PS3 considering how huge the save file gets the more you play. (Why I opted to get F:NV vanilla instead of Ultimate Edition, I heard performance is crap on UE and chugs.)

I have played Skyrim on a friend's PC gaming rig and it definitely did look better, I noticed immediately. It's just more detail on the grass and lighting effects, etc. A living room TV is also way bigger than a desktop CPU monitor so it's kind of a trade off, would be dope to hook up PC version with mods to a hi def big screen, hook up a controller, sit back and rip. Playing with a controller is definitely better than mouse in terms of movement. Like if something attacks you from behind it's way easier to 180, or if you are low-level easier to turn tail and run then sneak.

They totally do, yeah. PC is fully customizable though, so it has it's advantages, which become drawbacks if you suck at computers, or if your computer sucks. You can tweak settings til your heart's content, flip-side of the coin is it can be a pain in the ass getting shit running properly. I'm way more of a console gamer, plug n play, and I don't really care that they are not upgradable cause I still love my old games. But yeah the distinct advantage to PC imo is that you can upgrade as new titles come out that require better hardware for performance.

I'm curious to see how things go with this console gen (PS4/XB1) I would consider migrating over to PC for future generations. For me PS3 still has a lot of life in it so I'm not really into the idea of getting a PS4, only thing that could really sway my opinion is The Last Guardian, it will be Sony exclusive, not sure if it's going to be PS3, PS4, or both. I also love PS because they get the JRPGs like the Tales of series. If I was going to upgrade I would be split between PS4 and PC for gaming. But I'm also interested in learning to program so a high end PC would be a good investment but also probably end up 3x as expensive as a PS4 but also has a less limited lifespan in terms of keeping up going into the next-next gen.

I love playing games on my PC. It's not that PC is some master race by any means. It's just nice to have options of adding to the immersion of a game. I mod the crap out of Skyrim and it's super easy to do. I'm astonished that I'm even playing the same game. It's kind of the same reason I listen to records instead of CDs. Records offer me a better experience.

Don't get me wrong, there have been hang ups when things don't run properly, it can be frustrating. But it is also very gratifying getting things to work.

New Humble Bundle is up. They pulled some bullshit where the first 1000 people to pay over $10 got a copy of Starbound which pisses me off because I really want Starbound and it artificially inflated the average. It sold out in 2 minutes. The rest of the games are still really good though. I'm going to BTA once the price goes down a little more. It's dropped 3 bucks in the last two hours. I wouldn't be surprised if they add something really good later to make up for the debacle.

Program what? For a lot of programming, you can use ten year old hardware.

Video games, retro-styled, but not looking to be actually playable on cartridges. Sort of in the style of Fez, which my 2010 cpu runs but not my older one. Not really interested in making websites or anything but I guess I would if I already knew how... planning on learning C and C++ and maybe Assembly cause I understand older cart games are written in assembly, prob way more useful to just learn C++ tho, I would like for them to be playable on current hardware. It's still kind of a dream at this point, but I've already started looking into it and creating assets like music and pixel art. Wish I would've known sooner that I would want to get into this stuff. But you're right, any programming I want to do I can probably do on the systems I already have. (I wouldn't *need* it but if I ever wanted to get a devkit it would be dope to have a hi-end system.) If you know about that kind of stuff you should give me some pointers!

I have this theory about console migration that things are shifting towards PC gaming for core gamers. Casuals prob will toy around on their touch devices, phones and tablets. Obviously my theory doesn't apply in 100% of cases but it seems to me that...

- Most current PC gamers will likely stick with PC and just upgrade hardware, and eventually their OS once it's required to play the most recent, demanding games.

- Console gamers who played PS3 will either upgrade to PS4 or PC (honestly can't see any PS owners ditching sony for an xboxone)

- The only people I can see buying an xboxone are console gamers who are loyal to xbox from previously being 360 owners. (well those who *didn't* get red ringed enough to switch over. I had a buddy who went thru 3 or 4 xbox360s. They'd red-ring he just kept sending them back and when that failed he'd clean them out himself, void the warranty, and if it shit the bed again he'd buy a new one. I do like how they had detachable HDDs though. Cause you kinda needed that, considering how reliable they were.)

- Some of those previous 360 owners might now be turned off by xbox and will either migrate to PS4 if they want a console, or they'll go PC

- Nintendo seems to have not learned from the Wii (they did sell to casuals tho... but then they collected dust) and if it weren't for their 1st party franchises (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, etc.) they would be dead in the water at this point, the exception for them being handheld. They've got the market cornered on devoted handheld gaming. But between the rise of android/iOS and indie devs I don't think their hold on the market is concrete. All speculation, but Wii U could be their last home console, and if they keep pushing motion controls, then hopefully it is. I don't want motion, or touch, or VR, I want buttons/joysticks/triggers on an ergonomic controller. Seems like most of their interesting titles are on handheld, but I'm not into handhelds, even all the Zelda games they are peddling isn't enough for me to want to pick one up, and I love my Zelda. Same with Wii U, would be nice to have your Mario and Zelda games, but doesn't justify buying a console that will otherwise gather dust. My Gamecube sees more action than my Wii. (Not a euphamism!) Maybe Ninty could go the way of SEGA (although I think they've completely folded by now?) and stop making hardware altogether and just publish their franchise games on consoles that are worth picking up for more than 1 or 2 games per gen. But I think part of what made their 1st party titles so great is Ninty knowing the hardware through and though.

I think the only relevant console this gen is PS4 (love that Sony is supporting of Indie titles and also North American localizations of Japanese titles.) and things are surely shifting towards PC. Obvs I am a bit of a sony fanboy, (I'm still not sold on PS4 tho, waiting it out.) that's my bias, but between forcing kinect on people and the DRM stuff and then going back on it, xbox would really have to step their game up in this and next gen to stay relevant IMO. Their exclusives aren't enough to have much sway over any of the alternatives. Competition leads to progress though, with the 1-upping (pun) of each successive gen. But between PC and XB1 Microsoft is getting ppls $$$$. Seems like indie games are more frequently going cross-platform and playable on PC and mac, which is nice. I wish mac would be able to play titles from devs like Bethsoft in the future tho. And as much as I love Beth games they didn't know how to develop for PS3 but I understand that PS4 architecture is very different so hopefully they are over that now. At least their games are cross-platform (excluding mac) so they reach a wider audience regardless of which system(s) you own.

This post would prob be better suited for the PS4 vs Xbox One thread but this thread sees a lot more action, plus I think that other thread only stayed relevant shortly after E3 announcements. (Or did it get split into separate threads for each console as to avoid arguements?)

Anyway that's my take on the current state of the console war and the potential future of gaming.

/rant

Too bad PC gaming still marginalizes it's self by being way more complicated than most casual and even some more serious gamers would care to figure out.

Valve MAY be helping their with Steamboxes / the like - but other wise is too complicated for most folks.

Sure it takes 10 seconds to do your research and know what to buy / where to buy it to build a custom PC but there are loads of folks who wouldn't have a clue where to start. And pre-built gaming PC's are stuuuuupidly expensive.

Console wise it's still a crap shoot -

while serious gamers wrote off Nintendo years ago they are still killing it console wise and despite Sony's attempts - are still the only handheld producers that matter.

Xbox / Playstation are just streamlining until they are basically the same damn unit - minus a handful of decent at best exclusives...

But fanboys will still flock to whatever console they've had in the past and the unsure will just follow their online friends lead in order to keep a community.

And those who really like games or have money to piss away?

They'll buy it all.