best low cost external hard drive?

I've got a brand new 500gig Maxtor drive that works just fine with 64-bit Vista. I had an older 500gig model (late 2006 model year) that wasn't Vista compatible, and when I installed it on a whim few weeks ago, Vista supposedly found drivers for it. During the installation of the drivers, something screwy happened in the process, and the drive became inoperable. Damn you Vista!

best low cost external drive:

buy a regular internal hard drive, and a $10 USB 2.0 enclosure

there ya go.

You do need to be careful with what kind of enclosure you buy and where you place it because I had a couple overheat in the basic CompUSA aluminum ones that we used at my co-op.

Granted, these were in an industrial plant, not a house, but they really shouldn't have failed...

My external was dirt cheap and it hasn't failed me yet. WD.. I'm guessing that's Western Digital?

Anyway, the only thing I don't like about it is that about 4 days after I bought mine, a store had one twice as large from WD on sale for the same price I paid for mine.

Why didn't you return yours and get the larger capacity drive?

My external was dirt cheap and it hasn't failed me yet. WD.. I'm guessing that's Western Digital?

Anyway, the only thing I don't like about it is that about 4 days after I bought mine, a store had one twice as large from WD on sale for the same price I paid for mine.

Why didn't you return yours and get the larger capacity drive?

The new thing was online, I already put all my music and stuff on this one, and I didn't really need the extra space anyway. I still haven't maxed it out and I think it's only a 100GB dealy.

In short, I was just too lazy, so instead I bitch about it when it comes up.

um i use the seagate freeagent desktop 500gig harddrive.

http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-drive/computer-hard-drive/Free-Agent.html

(its the first choice in the middle)

Does this model come with their software, or is that just with the Pro model?

yeah there may have been a cd, but i dont think so. all i remember about it was i plugged it in and it worked like a charm....