How to find out about new records

i'm signed up for mailing lists for most of my favourite labels.

deadformat.net has a nifty news/release section.

doomedforever board is always on top of new releases as well (probably not too popular here though).

also artist/band sites for updates.

and there's always the other few boards i frequent, as well as label sites that i randomly check.

check this board 1000000 times a day

That's a pretty good way to do it. The weekly (I think?) vinyl report on Punknews also summarizes what's coming up, as well.

VinylFile on Punknews is really awesome if you don't check this board. If you are a regular around here you're probably not going to learn about any releases from that article that you already didn't hear about here. Still a very worthwhile read each week, especially for the interviews.

Basically I just check this site to find out about all the cool shit coming out. I also always check the No Idea site since I buy so much shit from them. Also get some good info straight from the bands themselves through bulletins on Myspace and such.

the problem with that is (and not to be a dick), but this board only talks about a very narrow scope of vinyl releases. there is almost no variety with it (granted, i know minus the bear doesnt sound exactly like mewithoutyou who doesnt sound like the latest no idea records color variation band, but you get the basic gist).

you end up limiting yourself to a handful of hyped releases.

personally, i think a good way to find out is to get on mailing lists of labels/distros that you like. that way, when something is about to go up for pre-order, or for sale, or is even in the works, you are the first to know, before it makes its way around to messageboards.

also, go check out your local record store a lot, they will get a lot of new stuff in quickly, and you can flip through stuff until something catches your eye, and you can check the band out on the net and see if its something worth your while.

the problem with that is (and not to be a dick), but this board only talks about a very narrow scope of vinyl releases.

I don't necessarily think you are being a dick. Is there something you want to talk about here that nobody else is? I realize a lot of music I listen to is out of the norm for this board but that doesn't stop me from posting about Neko Case, Meshuggah, and the Weakerthans ad nauseum.

Guest scriptedrain

the problem with that is (and not to be a dick), but this board only talks about a very narrow scope of vinyl releases.

I don't necessarily think you are being a dick. Is there something you want to talk about here that nobody else is? I realize a lot of music I listen to is out of the norm for this board but that doesn't stop me from posting about Neko Case, Meshuggah, and the Weakerthans ad nauseum.

Yeah, if there's a band or genre you think should be discussed, post about them. A lot of people here, myself included, would probably be pretty stoked to see a variety of threads.

the problem with that is (and not to be a dick), but this board only talks about a very narrow scope of vinyl releases. there is almost no variety with it (granted, i know minus the bear doesnt sound exactly like mewithoutyou who doesnt sound like the latest no idea records color variation band, but you get the basic gist).

you end up limiting yourself to a handful of hyped releases.

while there is certain bands that get alot of love on this board, saying theres a narrow scope is kind of ignorant. Theres a good # of indie labels who's owners/employees post here.. and while say what i'm doing is kinda similar to what Asian Man is releasing, its not even close to say the type of stuff that Virgil is releasing, or Jacob bannon is releasing..

i mean heres a quick list of bands that have gotten huge hype here/recent threads

minus the bear

barroness

converge

bomb the music industry

o pioneers

mustard plug

playing favorites

heavens

brand new

sparta

every time i die

drag the river

death cab for cutie

minor threat

against me

nofx

me first and the gimme gimmes

gaslight anthem

defiance ohio

thats a pretty damn diverse lineup of bands, encompassing a good majority of scenes that really embrace the vinyl format... i mean theres a lack of say electronic/hip hop... but if you're a collector buying current releases on vinyl .. odds are you're into punk/ska/hc/emo/indie/alt-country/metal/*-core type music... of which this board has a rather decent grip on.

Guest falloutcollapse
I subscribe to Scott Heisel's blog which is by far the sheer embodiement of pure hilarity...seriously! Have you read his step-by-step instructions on how to make mac & cheese? Pure genius!

I have NEVER seen a happier looking person in my life

[image]

while there is certain bands that get alot of love on this board, saying theres a narrow scope is kind of ignorant. Theres a good # of indie labels who's owners/employees post here.. and while say what i'm doing is kinda similar to what Asian Man is releasing, its not even close to say the type of stuff that Virgil is releasing, or Jacob bannon is releasing..

i mean heres a quick list of bands that have gotten huge hype here/recent threads

minus the bear

barroness

converge

bomb the music industry

o pioneers

mustard plug

playing favorites

heavens

brand new

sparta

every time i die

drag the river

death cab for cutie

minor threat

against me

nofx

me first and the gimme gimmes

gaslight anthem

defiance ohio

thats a pretty damn diverse lineup of bands, encompassing a good majority of scenes that really embrace the vinyl format.

i think you missed the point of what i was saying. I didnt attack your label, or say it sounds like what VC releases at all. nor did i say the music talked about on this board is all the same (in fact i said the exact opposite, by giving examples of bands talked about and saying they dont sound similar), so i guess im not sure why you got hung up on the bands sounding musically alike.

more of what i meant is that its a very small number of releases talked about here. and once again, its not personal. do a search, there are more me first and the gimme gimme threads for a specific release or two, than there are for all of black metal.....all bands together. there are 10 times as many against me threads as there are threads about ANY release in the grind genre. there are more Nofx threads about a single release as there are hip hop threads. there are 20 times as many minus the bear threads as there are about every electronic artist/group put together.

once again, its not an attack on this board, or any label/people on the board. the dude just asked how to keep up with all the releases. there are hundreds of releases on vinyl every week, and by just checking this board like was answered by other people, you end up finding out about five of them, mostly being more mainstream type stuff you would find out a lot of places.

so i was simply giving a suggestion on how to find more obscure releases, and non hyped releases, and more releases. i definitely wasnt saying this board, or your label were bad.

I feel that it comes down to knowing which bands and genres of music you're into and the sources of vinyl for them. Once you can locate a centralized source for that...which is rare...then you can be up to date on those vinyl releases.

I am sure there are a lot of vinyl releases that I have missed out simpy b/c I didn't know where to look. Luckily for me, I share the same tastes in music and bands as some others here...not all...but a few...at times, they will find some info and post it and I will do the same if anyone else may be in the dark about it.

Everyone on this board is always willing to help each other out...hell, we even have threads about people being on the lookout for certain records whenever they go to a store or whatever. There's plenty of the "Hey, I went to Joe's Records yesterday, and saw a copy of Band Whatever's "record"...if anyone wants me to pick it up for them I can" posts and threads around...

I understand the frustration of not knowing or having a direct source of info for the more obscure stuff...even in this Internet day and age where tons of info can be easily and immediately obtained, a lot of stuff still gets missed...