Your Favorite Re-Issues of 2008

Guest noeffinidea

Guest noeffinidea

2008, in my opinion, has been one of the best years for re-issues thus far. I think just as much money went toward re-issues as new releases and rare stuff for me. So how about you guys? What're your favorite re-issues of 2008 so far?

Here are just a few of mine:

1. Mission Of Burma ("Signals, Calls, and Marches", "Vs.", "The Horrible Truth About Burma"; Matador Records) - I was pumped about these when they got announced, and when they finally hit stores I was amazed by how great of a job Matador did with them. All 3 albums were pressed onto really high qualtiy 180 gram black vinyl in really thick tip-on gatefold jackets. All three also came with its own 16-page book and dvd of live footage. Plus full downloads for each album. Although $25 a piece, they are worth every penny.

2. Isis "The Red Sea" 10 Year Limited (Second Nature) - Wow! I can only imagine how much it must've cost to just put together the covers and inserts for these alone! The gold-foil stamping littered all over this thing (cover, spine, insert, labels) turned out simply beautiful! Maybe it's not really a re-issue since you can still get older pressings easily, this is without a doubt the definitive version of this 12" even with the steep $25 tag.

3. Polvo "Celebrate the New Dark Age 12" (Merge) - Quality tunes? Check. Quality-sounding 180 gram wax? Check. Just about one of THE nicest packages I've seen? Check. Polvo is criminally underrated in my opinion, and I was so excited to see this bad boy reissued. Originally released as a 3x7", Merge has converted this to a crystal clear sounding 12" slab of wax and packaged it up in a gorgeous quad-fold screenprinted, letterpressed, and numbered cover. Free download as well!

4. Naked Raygun ("Basement Screams", "Throb Throb", "All Rise"; Haunted Town) - Totally lovin' it. So great to see the Chi-town legends back on vinyl, and Haunted Town has done a great job bringing it to us. Nice colors and all hand numbered, plus a free poster in each one. Can't wait for "All Rise" to arrive at my doorstep!

I know there are plenty more sweet albums that came back out this year...let's hear about 'em!

Mogwai - Mogwai Young Team - 4xLP Deluxe Reissue

One the better remastered albums in recent times. Not overly compressed. Nice to have all the era-outtakes in one place.

Radiohead - Best Of - 4xLP Box Set

Later Radiohead (post-Kid A) bores the hell out of me (gasp! shock! horror! blasphemy!). This box set is a nice collection of when they were a good band. 180g vinyl. High quality sleeves. And all their good songs.

Polvo - Celebrate the New Dark Age - 180g Reissue

I already have the original triple 7" pressing but this is still a great reissue. I'm glad that they kept the same packaging and artwork of the original press. Again, the remaster sounds really good.