Recently Watched Thread

I just watched Step Brothers. It was fucking amazing. Massive lolz.

Also watched in the last couple days:

Hotel Rwanda (which was fantastic, and Don Cheadle ruled)

Sukiyaki Western: Django (which was wacky and ridiculous)

I really wanted to like Sukiyaki Western Django but it was too damn silly and really lost momentum in that super awkward "I'm watching my lover die while getting raped" scene

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching a ton of Asian films lately...especially Takashi Miike from Japan and Chan Wook Park from Korea. Recent movies I've watched are:

Masters of Horror: Miike: Imprint = not so good

Visitor Q: Miike = super weird and fuct up

Sheitan = weird French horror/suspense movie

Three... Extremes: Miike, Park, one other = awesome, three short films

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance: Park = very good

Oldboy: Park = one of his best

Lady Vengeance: Park = also really good

Watched American Psycho last night. I just finished reading the book so seeing the movie seemed appropriate. The movie had some great moments that I don't remember from the book. The book on the other hand was very graffic and really cool...if you like fuct up serial killer type shit. I'd recommend both.

Guest noeffinidea

Glad to see some other Miike fans on the board. Some of my favorite films ever came from the mind of that man:

City Of Lost Souls (one of my all-time faves...so over the top, but just sooo entertaining)

Ichi The Killer (the first splatter colored record my label puts out will be called Ichi the Killer blood-splatter hahaha)

Dead or Alive Trilogy (The first 10 minutes and last 2 minutes of the first movie is some of the coolest shit I have ever seen. One of my favorite endings ever, even if it doesn't make any sense).

Also, gotta love Park. The whole vengeance trilogy is amazing (Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, Oldboy).

I watched the "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", anime version last night. It is such a damn good film. I think it was just released by Bandai in the states.

AniDB

Edit: I hope they don't remake Old Boy here, just like I hope the Battle Royale-esqe remake is canned. American versions of Asian films usually turn out bad, though the horror films are harder to mess up so they are usually ok.

Guest noeffinidea
I watched the "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", anime version last night. It is such a damn good film. I think it was just released by Bandai in the states.

AniDB

Edit: I hope they don't remake Old Boy here, just like I hope the Battle Royale-esqe remake is canned. American versions of Asian films usually turn out bad, though the horror films are harder to mess up so they are usually ok.

For some reason, I wasn't even too big into the original Battle Royale. Don't know why, but it ever really did anything for me. None of these remakes should exist! The sad thing about some of the remakes is that it's the SAME DIRECTOR as the original, but these fucking dickhead big money studios and producers pretty much steal all creative control for them, hence why every re-made Asian horror film has been a PG-13 night for mindless high school kids.

Just finished Oldboy. pretty intense with an insane ending.

im glad you saw this.. it's a awesome movie.. watch Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance to finish up the trilogy

did you hear that will smith and speilberg are doing a adaptation of the comic book.

i added both those movies to netflix right after oldboy finished.

didnt hear that either, but it sounds interesting

Plus, Oldboy has one of the sickest one shot fight scene everrrrrrr.

That fight scene is pretty damn amazing...almost the entire fight with a knife in his back.

I really like Oldboy. The entire trilogy is great. I watched it with a lady friend last night. You gotta dig a lady who will watch Oldboy and Asian horror films with you.

Battle Royale was great...the sequel wasn't.