HAS THIS BEEN DONE BEFORE??

would it be possible for a group of people to come together and pitch in money to get a vinyl pressed of a release that is out of print or a release never pressed...how would you do it.....would you go to the label?...the band?....what are peoples thoughts....two releases that come to mind for me are:

The Honor System Single File on asian man records

Slapstick s/t asian man records

what would something like this cost for lets say 500... 250 black 250 color

anyone know or interested

i contacted a vinyl pressing company here in the UK about this. I wanted the 2 songs from Grails - Black Tar Prophecies CD that aren't on the vinyl releases (I & II) to be pressed to vinyl. They said it would cost £30 to press a single 12" with the 2 songs, using digital format as sources. i figured using lossless wav or something. Of course, permission had to be in writing from the band. i took it no further than the enquiry stage coz £30 is too much for me.

However, if a bunch of people got together to do it, it may make it more affordable.

I would LOVE all the Clutch records on vinyl...

would it be possible for a group of people to come together and pitch in money to get a vinyl pressed of a release that is out of print or a release never pressed...how would you do it.....would you go to the label?...the band?....what are peoples thoughts....two releases that come to mind for me are:

The Honor System Single File on asian man records

Slapstick s/t asian man records

what would something like this cost for lets say 500... 250 black 250 color

anyone know or interested

Of course it's possible. It's called "starting a record label".

In all seriousness though, I have done this. I asked the label and the band for permission. The label said they would have no problem as long as the band were into it. And co-incidentally, the band said that they would be into it as long as the record label were into it.

The only thing you'l need to figure out is what you can offer the label and band for doing it. Neither are likely to want to just give you a recording that they paid for for free.

i contacted a vinyl pressing company here in the UK about this. I wanted the 2 songs from Grails - Black Tar Prophecies CD that aren't on the vinyl releases (I & II) to be pressed to vinyl. They said it would cost £30 to press a single 12" with the 2 songs, using digital format as sources. i figured using lossless wav or something. Of course, permission had to be in writing from the band. i took it no further than the enquiry stage coz £30 is too much for me.

However, if a bunch of people got together to do it, it may make it more affordable.

I would LOVE all the Clutch records on vinyl...

£30 is around $60 US Dollars right? And was that quote for one SINGLE copy of the record without artwork? I'm curious where you got that quote and what it includes...

that $60 type record is most likely a lathe cut dub plate or something akin to that... which you can play like 30 times or so before it destroys itself.

plating for 12" records is usually like $250 alone.

bootlegging actual vinyl records would be a little difficult to do... and not really cost effective. Plus its not like you can dump 500 copies of the refused - shape of punk to come on ebay at once without someone catching on.

i forsure wouldnt want bootlegs...i would wanna actually go to the label and or band and have the idea of getting something that hasnt been pressed or something repressed....my examples were slapstick s/t on asian man repressed and honor system single file, pressed for the first time....how much would it cost to get each of those pressed 500 at a time, 250 color, 250 black....if i knew an actual close estimate, it would be a whole lot easier to go to mike park and be like "hey i have half the money to do this, would, you pay for the other half and i would want no profit"...i just want these pressed or repressed....its just an idea i have tossed around in my head....what are your thoughts....any one have a rough estimate of what this would cost

You could check out PiratesPress.com for an average of what they spend. However, most of the money in putting out vinyl goes into the Mastering and production of the "plates". The actual vinyl is usually less than $.50 per piece. Check out United Mastering as well.

There's also a lot of pre-existing threads with places/prices for pressing vinyl. Mike's a good dude too, I'm sure he'd hear you out and give it a thought...

Also, Dubplates...what celebdeath was talking about before...I know they only last for about 50 plays, but does anyone have any more info on these things? I can't find much on google...

Guest scriptedrain
500 copies with 2 colors.. would be approaching 2800-3000 depending on options.

Damn. Even at $5 a piece, you're still losing money. $6 and you're breaking even (and that doesn't take into account time and the fact that you should be making SOMETHING).

Hello! I can tell you right now there is little chance that Mike would be willing to put any money into a Single File release. It's a great album, but I doubt we could sell 50 copies.

That is so depressing to hear. Single File is one of my favorite records ever. In 1998, I listed to that and Goddamnit more than anything else.

people do make represses and pass them off as originals. thats what bootlegs are in many cases.

but if you want to do a legit repress thats cool, but when you are talking about bigger bands, on bigger labels, get ready to pay out the pocket for it.

if you find some small hardcore band, that was never really under contract, etc. it can be as easy as simply asking the band, and asking the label, and they say sure whatever.

but with bigger bands and bigger labels you have to not only get everyones permission, and pay the pressing costs, but you have to license the record out

for instance you repress Refused "shape of punk to come" on vinyl, not only would you have to pay the pressing costs, but epitaph wants about 1.50 per copy that you press (which means, if your pressing costs are 5 bucks.....now its gonna cost you 6.50 just in cost alone)

not to mention most of the time the original label will want to have the say and final OK on details, like paper the insert is printed on, design, etc.

some labels will charge a flat rate for licensing. like, pay us 2000 dollars, and you can press however many you want. i know this kid who wanted to press glassjaw records on vinyl, and the label said sure go ahead, just pay us 3500 in royalties, and then you can go ahead and do it.

its possible, and people do it all the time, but there is a reason why it doesnt happen much with bigger bands/labels unless they are already friends of the band/label whoc cut them deals. otherwise its just not financially feasible in most cases.

not too mention a lot of labels wont let you, because they want to keep their options open on repressing it later. or in a lot of cases, its the band that wont give permission to repress cause they hate that album and want it to just die out, or they want to focus on new stuff, or whatever the reason is, there are tons of bands who dont WANT their old stuff to be repressed.

Hello! I can tell you right now there is little chance that Mike would be willing to put any money into a Single File release. It's a great album, but I doubt we could sell 50 copies.

That is so depressing to hear. Single File is one of my favorite records ever. In 1998, I listed to that and Goddamnit more than anything else.

You sure about that, chief? Single File wasn't released until 2000.

i know this kid who wanted to press glassjaw records on vinyl, and the label said sure go ahead, just pay us 3500 in royalties, and then you can go ahead and do it.

aww shit. I got a tax return coming, anybody want to go in on this? We can hide a box and then eBay it once it's sold out. hahaha.