Is it cool or lame to press existing LPs as 2xLPs?

vardcore

Is it cool or lame to press existing LPs as 2xLPs?

Some of the earlier records we pressed were on the long side, like 45 minutes, but they did fit on a single LP. I'm not sure how much it would REALLY matter, audio-wise, but I have considered pressing select albums as 2xLP at some point. The obvious downside would be the cost of re-cutting the records... and the overall cost would be double what pressing a single LP anew would be. All of that means the fancy new version would cost anyone buying it a lot more than just re-pressing an existing single-LP version.

Sorta silly, perhaps? A big waste of physical resources, perhaps? Possibly cool for pseudo audiophiles, perhaps?

I don't have a solid rationale, other than the idea has come to me a few times over the years. Sometimes that means something. Sometimes it does not. Hmmm...

-- No bonus songs. Just less songs per side. Might still have to be 33 RPM, just louder.

NOTE: My mind is not sharp enough at the moment to make the above note silly/funny. I want it to be lighthearted, yet asking a real question. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

-- Emoticons, just because: :);):D;D>:(:(:o8-) ??? ::):P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(

Some folks would be all for it. The main concern would be in recouping, I'd imagine. The real collectors and Audiophiles would buy them for sure but I don't know how many that would be. Stuff like Against Me! or Hot Water Music would sell for sure but I'm not sure about some smaller releases.

It seems if you do a 2xLP for most things people want some sort of bonus for re-releases.

I'd support a Jud-Jud 4xLP with etched B-Sides and instrumentals.

unless it's something that was borderline too long before, that got crammed onto one LP I don't really think it needs to be done and might be overkill.

Var, didn't you have a Rumbleseat test pressing with more songs on it than the actual vinyl release? Maybe something like that...would make sense, but I think, waste of resources is a good terminology for doing that.

Some folks would be all for it. The main concern would be in recouping, I'd imagine. The real collectors and Audiophiles would buy them for sure but I don't know how many that would be. Stuff like Against Me! or Hot Water Music would sell for sure but I'm not sure about some smaller releases.

It seems if you do a 2xLP for most things people want some sort of bonus for re-releases.

AM is like 30 minutes, if I recall. I wasn't really thinking of that one, as it's not super long.

I was thinking more about records like HWM "Fuel". Actually, that's the only one I WAS thinking of, haha. It would be something of a labor of love.

AM is like 30 minutes, if I recall. I wasn't really thinking of that one, as it's not super long.

I was thinking more about records like HWM "Fuel". Actually, that's the only one I WAS thinking of, haha. It would be something of a labor of love.

As "Fuel" is my favorite HWM album (I don't know why), I'd buy it.

Unless making it a 2xLP would allow it to go to 45RPMs, why bother?

45 would certainly give the idea one more check in the "pro" versus "con" list.

Although:

A 22-minute side at 33 would have less response and be significantly quieter than an 11-minute side at 33.

I'm sure there are other threads that explain the physics of vinyl cutting far better than I can in a sentence... and with far more knowledge, perhaps, haha.

I would love to see Fuel as a double LP. That record sounds so at home on vinyl that it would only make sense. Great idea Var!

It's a very extreme recording in some respects. I mean the WAY is was recorded, the tones of the amps used, etc. I think the LP version mellowed some of that, versus the CD. I like both. Maybe I'm crazy too.

alkaline trio just did this with Good Mourning. people think they had to press it on 2 discs cause of the "bonus songs" but those were actually on the european pressing originally, and that was a single LP. the way it was done, though (by pressing it on 5 colors with mixed variants, etc.) made it just seem like they were doing it to rape the collectors.

if you want to do it for one or two albums that you really love, and that you think a lot of other people love (the album you're talking about, for example, i think would definitely fit that description...) then do it, but keep it simple. either all on black, or most on black with a few copies pressed on ONE color. not 5, not 10. then the collectors would still be buying multiple copies, but people wouldn't be getting frustrated/fed up with the label for doing something really cool for seemingly no other reason but to make money.

and yes, i know it's a business, but i think you know what i'm getting at. and var, this isn't in any way a knock against you, i'm just trying to make you see it from one fan's point of view.

Guest noeffinidea

I would love to hear an "audiophile version" of Fuel. There is so much happening in the music on this album, and even to this day I still find myself picking out things that I haven't heard the previous listen. I swear, the day I heard 220 Years for the first time...with the layers of guitars and vocals weaving throughout each other...my life changed and I knew they would become one of my favorite bands.