Vinyl Junkie orders and paypal claim etiquette

but im old school from before there was internet and waiting for orders became a lost art.

Ah...the good ol' days. I recall getting the mailers from labels and bands and filling out the order form for what you wanted and sending them a check. After 3-4 weeks I'd get a record. It was awesome and very exciting.

order forms.... lol. damn, i forgot about those... i don't think i ever used order forms except when ordering black flag records from SST or Soundgarden stuff from SUB POP. Most of the time i just hand wrote what i wanted on back of flyers and sent concealed cash or m.o.'s.

im wondering, how many times did you guys send straight up cash?

Guest genericinsight

Ah...the good ol' days. I recall getting the mailers from labels and bands and filling out the order form for what you wanted and sending them a check. After 3-4 weeks I'd get a record. It was awesome and very exciting.

order forms.... lol. damn, i forgot about those... i don't think i ever used order forms except when ordering black flag records from SST or Soundgarden stuff from SUB POP. Most of the time i just hand wrote what i wanted on back of flyers and sent concealed cash or m.o.'s.

Just once, and I never got anything. Mostly I sent postal money orders cause checks took too long to clear... meaning longer wait for my records. Ah, filling out order forms... I miss those days.

the only time I've ever filed a paypal claim was when i was trying to buy a lot of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes 7"s from a UK VC'er and in the midst of the transaction, after confirming the list of 7"s with him, and after I paid him he started getting wishy-washy and started being weird about one particular 7", then started not returning emails, and i freaked out because i thought I was about to get ripped off.

Anything else, I place the order and am very patient with and never complain too much about it taking forever to show up. I understand people get busy so I try to let it slide...but something about overseas purchases make me extra nervous....

The only thing I've been bummed on, is these PO that take months and months and then when there is an issue, you're well past the 45 day limit and basically fucked. Like I am with sabot and to this day, he refuses to reply to my VERY polite emails. I won't give up, I still send one email a month or so, kind of because I think it's lame that everyone speaks highly of this guy, yet he can't man up to answer my emails anymore. This is the ONLY problem I've had in my years trading and buying vinyl. Everything else has shown up, knock on wood.

Though I have had a few people email me through ebay getting super impatient, which is fine, whatever. I feel for guys running labels who kind of have to deal with the shit to a certain point. Everyone in a business wants repeat customers, but I'm sure there is that point where it's like, fuck off dude, go to hot topic/fred meyer for your vinyl.

Anyways, the holidays are almost over and peoples stress levels should lower a notch or two I hope!

yeah i ahte that too. i dont mind waiting if a person is honest, and doesnt lie. i really hate when people say "its been shipped", and then the next week say "it was shipped today", and another week goes by and still nothing.

i never switch the status of a persons order on the site until the label has been printed and it has indeed, been shipped.

also sonix. im not sure what "mercy me on white" is, but it wasnt from me. im assuming it was through ebay, since you said won, and i dont sell anything on ebay anymore.

the seller was vinyljunkies.. I wasnt sure if you had an ebay page, but figured it would be that lol

i used to send cash all the time...until i ordered the antix ep from jump start, and it never arrived.

I used to send cash to Lookout and SST all the time, plus a few other labels whose names escape me. I still send cash if I have to...I sent cash to Rumbletowne for my two Shorebirds orders.

Lookout was my favorite to do real mail order from. I'd send cash and it'd take about 4 months for a package to arrive...then one day out of the blue it would be there. And a couple of times, a few days after the package showed up, another one would show up with all of the same stuff in it.

I don't use paypal, still do the old school mailorder w/ a letter and money order, or cash in certain situations. In my opinion, it makes ordering records a little more fun.

Let me start this by saying that I have never ordered anything from Vinyl Junkie. I'm sure you're a stand up guy and distro, so this isn't completely aimed at you so much as it is mailorder distros. You just started the thread, so I'm responding to you directly........

With that being said, everyone on this post has been way too polite. If its taking you ten days to ship out your records, you're a schmuck. Did you list that shits online? Do you physically have it in your hand? Then ship it out. Ten days to ship is horseshit. Anything past that is ridiculous. Sure, people get busy. Sure, a distro may be your second (or third or fourth) job. Tough shit. If you can't turn the record around either don't sell it, or put your terms up on ebay (or your website) saying that you're lazy and it'll likely take six weeks before you send the stuff out.

If I order something from amazon and it says in stock, it ships within a day. Same for Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or any hundreds of other retailers. Why should it be any different for records?

Someone mentioned that Lookout's mailorder used to take forever, and that was certainly true. How's Lookout doing these days. Oh, thats right.....

Lastly, I've probably only ordered records a dozen or so times in the past year. VC certainly gets a thumbs up on service and turnaround. No Idea does not.

With that being said, everyone on this post has been way too polite.

so stand up for yourself and post in your real account

Thanks for the comment sweet cheecks. This is my real account. I've never posted on here previously, although I do like to snoop around this message board (and VC website) occasionally as it does provide a good resource for finding out about new releases and the like. I don't really feel the need to discuss my record collection or the 50 variants of certain records. I generally buy records just to listen to them. Odd, I know.

Let me start this by saying that I have never ordered anything from Vinyl Junkie. I'm sure you're a stand up guy and distro, so this isn't completely aimed at you so much as it is mailorder distros. You just started the thread, so I'm responding to you directly........

With that being said, everyone on this post has been way too polite. If its taking you ten days to ship out your records, you're a schmuck. Did you list that shits online? Do you physically have it in your hand? Then ship it out. Ten days to ship is horseshit. Anything past that is ridiculous. Sure, people get busy. Sure, a distro may be your second (or third or fourth) job. Tough shit. If you can't turn the record around either don't sell it, or put your terms up on ebay (or your website) saying that you're lazy and it'll likely take six weeks before you send the stuff out.

If I order something from amazon and it says in stock, it ships within a day. Same for Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or any hundreds of other retailers. Why should it be any different for records?

Someone mentioned that Lookout's mailorder used to take forever, and that was certainly true. How's Lookout doing these days. Oh, thats right.....

Lastly, I've probably only ordered records a dozen or so times in the past year. VC certainly gets a thumbs up on service and turnaround. No Idea does not.

I guess I see what you are saying, but in the event that a distro has thousands of records for sale, post office trips are usually planned 1-3 times a week, even for bigger record labels. It is not highly efficient to have to go to the post office every day. You have to sift through orders, inventory, pack them, sometimes go buy more packing material. If someone ships a package out within ten days, you are still getting it within two weeks. Is that really that bad? I mean, seriously? You can't wait an order out? Not many people have a person on staff sitting around that has the soul purpose of shipping a record when the order comes in. It's been a long time since I have ordered from anyone and gotten it in under a week.

so many things in this post.....

first of all. lookout is not doing bad because of mailorder practices. they are doing bad, because they released shitty releases with money they made off high selling albums, instead of paying the bands their royalties. when the new shitty releases didnt sell, they were left with large royalty bills for big bands like green day, which they couldnt pay since they didnt have enough income coming in. bands that sold well didnt get paid, and removed their releases from lookouts catalog, and lookout was left with no big sellers, and hefty bills.

i know it wasnt personal, but posts and prevailing attitudes like your just make it a bummer to run a mailorder. being called a schmuck for not shipping for 10 days kinda sucks. not just cause my feelings are butthurt or anything. best buy and walmart, etc. are not independent, or DIY. they are giant multinational corporations. you cant compare a giant multinational corporation to an independent shop in anything. electronics stores, record stores, food marts, etc. they make millions of dollars and have entire departments of people hired specifically to be on top of shipping.

i am one person. i have help sometimes to ship/package, but mostly its just me. i do not make a million dollars, nor do i have a high enough profit margin to hire a department of people to ship. most distros dont. most independent distros and labels do not have a shipping department, or at most, just have a buddy that helps them out occassionally for records, food, etc.

its not a sob story by any means, its simply a bummer to see that peoples patience levels have dropped SO much that 10 days has become a LONG time to wait.

There is a big difference between "being lazy and taking six weeks to ship", and getting busy and taking 10 days to ship. yeah, i can see if a label/mailorder routinely takes over a month to ship thats the case, but i guess i feel there is a huge difference between an acceptable time frame, and taking 6 weeks to ship. generally all my orders get shipped within a couple days. some even get shipped the same day. but since its just me, it means if i go out of town, or have some personal shit come up, that takes a day or two or three, things get delayed a day or two or three. and its just too bad that for a lot of people, that DIY personal part is gone, and instead of saying, thanks for keeping me updated, and i can be patient and wait 2 weeks for my records, people want it to be a business that bends over backwards and drops everything for "the customer is always right" type thing.

kids feel they are deserved special treatment.

Lame that people can't be patient for their records. I once ordered the first two D4 records from Hopeless and waited a few months before my first email to them. They told me they were waiting for the vinyl, so I patiently waited another month or two before my second email. They told me that they were no longer going to carry the record (I eventually figured out that VC/SH would be doing represses) and that I could either have a refund, or pick two records at the same price. I gave them a list of alternates I would take, and joked around saying "feel free to throw any freebies in the box if you need to make shelf space". I ended up getting 3 or 4 free LPs as well as the alternates, so I guess my point is that a little patience can go a long way sometimes.

To all you impatient buyers...I hope your records get lost or damaged in the mail... ::)

I agree with you on the paypal shipping. I had some cat hit me with a paypal claim 7 days after the auction ended and i couldnt ship it using paypal as delivery confirmation to him, plus they hold the funds as soon as the claim hits. annoying.

lately i am finding people jumping the gun wayyy to much. 7 days or even 10 days is just stupid.

God. Kids need to chill the fuck out. If you can't wait 10 days for a fucking record to ship you need to grow the fuck up and relax a bit you petulant child. If you can't put on your big boy pants and sip some tea for a bit while the dude you ordered from gets your shit to the post don't fucking buy records online, you can try your luck at Best Buy or Hot Topic.