General discussion on repressed records

After reading thread after thread of repress news and the general excitement that people on this board have about them, it got me wondering if I am pretty much - insane.

I hate when a different label represses an album. Nothing makes me want to have the original press more than a repress. When a different label puts the record out, It might as well be a bootleg to me.

Case in point, Lifetime repressed by No Idea? Time to get those Jade Tree pressings!

This has been going on for years.

DYS on Taang? I have to get the original on XClaim.

Minor Threat - Out of Step with the blue bar and $7.00 price? Got to get the first press no color bar/all black back cover.

7 Seconds singles on Pazzafist? Got to get them on AT, Squirtgun and Positive Force.

I own Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown 7" with the red cover. I want to THROW IT OUT because I don't have the ultra rare and expensive first press with the brick wall background.

Even though I collect variants, I will never be satisfied unless I have the first press - even if it means a loss of quality or sound.

Anyone else out there like me or am I totally screwed up?

Of course its always cool to have a frist press but I really couldnt care less who does the repress as long as its done well. Im really stoked for the Lifetime represses that No Idea is doing. I know it will sound great and the packaging will be nice. If I just want a copy of something to listen to then I dont care what press it is or who presses it.

I don,t know, I don't think your crazy, depending on what the album is I would probably want a first press as well.

But this year I picked up 2 Velvet Underground re-presses and was happy with those over the original press. Nice color vinyl, heavy wax, priced well ($15...kinda priced well). Also picked up some Belle and Sebastian records, some were first press some not, I didnt really care, just wanted the LPs.

One thing that a re-issue gives you over a 1st press, at least with older records, is a chance for a NEW copy, even if that used copy is "nice" its still used ya know.

So buy the first press and shut up.

Or you can go fuck your hat.

I never said I was right asshole. It was meant to be a discussion. I'm not judging or think I am any better than anyone. I just wanted other people's takes on first presses, represses and all that shit.

I'd rather pay a regular price and have it on vinyl, especially if it sounds better. If I like an album enough, sure, it would be nice/cool/great to track down an original press, but there is just too many people into some of the bands that weren't super popular back in the day. I remember when fat wreck was starting to drop colored vinyl and I emailed them a couple weeks after exile in oblivion came out to see if they still had color and they, just send in your money and you will be fine and I got it in color a few weeks later. Now, fat wreck stuff is selling out in an hour or so.

Now, obviously fat wreck presses most releases on black after that fact, but it's the point that a press of 500 10 years ago would take months and months or even longer to sell out. The same band could sell out 500 in a matter of an hour, which we see pretty often.

I think represses are a great things for fans, bands and the labels. If me buying a repress will allow that band to do one more tour, that label to do one more release, I'm all for it. The "real" fans can go after these first presses...

Also,

keep in mind lots of re-presses are with albums you just cannot find anymore. Not the stuff people call their "white whales" here, but stuff that is actually impossible to find, actaully hard to find, such as a old garage record from 68 that was pressed once and fell into obscurity.

Those re-presses are awesome and have a legit place in the world, as do the labels that re-issue them.

There are a handful of artists, whose releases I try to collect each and every variant of.

If there happens to be a choice between different variants of a release by an artist, that I don't collect, I'll try to go for the most interesting version.

But besides that, the collecting aspect feels secondary to the pure pleasure of listening to my records. If a repress is fine quality and favorably priced, I'll take it and be very happy with it. If a repress sucks, either because of butchered artwork or poor pressing quality, I'll track down another better version.

Shouldn't availability matter more than collectability? If there's a demand for a release to be repressed, then let the music be spread to those who want to hear it.

Supply and demand...I love the repress! I'm not into variants...different shades of plastic take the back burner compared to the pleasure of listening.......the only negative part about repressing albums are the needless boxsets that don't really offer anything new other than the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Of course its always cool to have a frist press but I really couldnt care less who does the repress as long as its done well. Im really stoked for the Lifetime represses that No Idea is doing. I know it will sound great and the packaging will be nice. If I just want a copy of something to listen to then I dont care what press it is or who presses it.

This.

There are far too many records that I didn't grab the initial pressing of that there is no way in hell I'm paying more then standard LP prices to have. The lifetime is the perfect example, others like Forever and Counting, Refused, Alkaline trio. All great albums but not worth the prices they fetch.

it is what it is. labels are definitely cashing in on the re-press now that vinyl is cool again. ESPECIALLY colored vinyl. a perfect example of this is all the alkaline trio re-presses. not dissing mike park AT ALL, he probably made some pretty good loot on the repressings but clearly the idea was NOT just to get the vinyl in the hands of people who just want ONE single physical copy of the record to listen to (yes i know if people just want one they can buy just one, no ones making you buy 6 copies). if that was the case then theyd of just made them all on 180 gram black, and just kept them in circulation. its pretty clear as a record collector (one who does buy variations) and it was probably clear to them that they could sell more (or sell them more quickly) by pressing multiple colors (i mean come on is it really necessary to have 8 or 10 variations of the redux?, not to mention a majority of the colors were hideous.. thats a different thread though). another example is with the s/t record... all the songs on that album are from vinyl releases. i understand rep-pressing it on cd for convenience, but come on 4 different colors? again why not just black or 1 other limited color. dont get me wrong... im not saying its wrong, im not saying its right... im saying its a good way to raise funds and get records in peoples hands (in most cases multiple copies of the same record in the same persons hand, and im guilty as charged). this is long and im not sure if ive really even made a point... more so probably just stated the obvious. its a win/win for everyone i guess. the label makes more money, the kids get a (or 10) record(s). the only person complaining is the person trying to get ALL variations. for me.... that boat sailed on The Alkaline Trio right around when i read about the 8th or 9th color of Remains... that release, as well as cobraside can suck it.

There are a handful of artists, whose releases I try to collect each and every variant of.

If there happens to be a choice between different variants of a release by an artist, that I don't collect, I'll try to go for the most interesting version.

My thoughts exactly.

Depends on the band and release.

it is what it is. labels are definitely cashing in on the re-press now that vinyl is cool again. ESPECIALLY colored vinyl. a perfect example of this is all the alkaline trio re-presses. not dissing mike park AT ALL, he probably made some pretty good loot on the repressings but clearly the idea was NOT just to get the vinyl in the hands of people who just want ONE single physical copy of the record to listen to (yes i know if people just want one they can buy just one, no ones making you buy 6 copies). if that was the case then theyd of just made them all on 180 gram black, and just kept them in circulation. its pretty clear as a record collector (one who does buy variations) and it was probably clear to them that they could sell more (or sell them more quickly) by pressing multiple colors (i mean come on is it really necessary to have 8 or 10 variations of the redux?, not to mention a majority of the colors were hideous.. thats a different thread though). another example is with the s/t record... all the songs on that album are from vinyl releases. i understand rep-pressing it on cd for convenience, but come on 4 different colors? again why not just black or 1 other limited color. dont get me wrong... im not saying its wrong, im not saying its right... im saying its a good way to raise funds and get records in peoples hands (in most cases multiple copies of the same record in the same persons hand, and im guilty as charged). this is long and im not sure if ive really even made a point... more so probably just stated the obvious. its a win/win for everyone i guess. the label makes more money, the kids get a (or 10) record(s). the only person complaining is the person trying to get ALL variations. for me.... that boat sailed on The Alkaline Trio right around when i read about the 8th or 9th color of Remains... that release, as well as cobraside can suck it.

Exactly. Mike smartly realized there were exactly 500 people in world who collect Alkaline Trio vinyl and diabolically plotted to keep repressing it so those 500 people would keep buying the record. There is no way the record is insanely popular and a constant seller, and when repressing they do it on different colors for the handful of fans out there crazy enough to buy every color. Once you explained the conspiracy to me it all made sense finally.