College

Guest falloutcollapse

Guest falloutcollapse

Everyone's started to talk to me about college and it's stressing me the fuck out. Advice on how to get past it/make a good decision/what i should be looking for?

thx dudes <3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

decide what you want to do with your life. obviously, you don't need to decide EXACTLY the job you want to have, but figure out kind of the direction you want to go.

then, find a bunch of schools with really good ____________ programs, and apply to them. if you want to go into broadcasting, find a bunch of schools with great communications programs. if you want to work in advertising, find a bunch of schools with great marketing/promotions programs.

then, once you've found a bunch of schools that fit your taste, decide how far you want to be away from home. for me, it was "far enough away that my parents can't just "drop in" on me if they feel like going for a drive one day, but close enough that i can come home any particular weekend if i just need to get away." i chose southern illinois university, which is 6 hours from home, but still in-state (which cut down on cost severely). clearly, that is another thing that should be considered, and i would say those three things are the main topics of consideration: cost, closeness to home, and what the school offers academically.

also, like crossedoff said, don't wait til the last minute.

DON'T DO EARLY DECISION!

Also, don't pick a school that's so specific that if you change your mind, which is likely, you're stuck with some shitty major you hate because there's three choices at the school, unless of course it's been your lifelong dream or something.

Go away. Seriously. If you're dead set on a school that's close by, dorm anyway. Money shouldn't be an issue, because you really don't enjoy college quite the same unless you immerse yourself in it, and living on campus, despite the bitching everyone spews, is an awesome way to meet people.

Go abroad. You'll never again get a chance to pretend you live somewhere for an extended period of time without actually getting tied in somehow with a job or whatever. See the world, take out the loans because it's worth twice the amount it will actually cost you. Plus it allows you to come back from Australia wearing a scarf and a scally cap, calling everyone "mate" and it's ok, you just got back.

I can't give good advice, as I'm only 18, and not quite out of high school yet, and ever since I was a little kid, I've known where I was going. But don't let anyone else tell you what to do. Do what you want to, or what you feel is best for you. Some of my best friends aren't headed where I am/anywhere at all, and have tried to talk me down. It sucks leaving friends, but it's something you may have to do.

I've pretty much done everything as soon as I could so far. Took my SAT beginning of Junior year high school, applied & got accepted to my college before Senior year started. Applied for housing as soon as I got accepted. Been filling out scholarships and the such to piss time away until the next step becomes available. Next on the list is my FAFSA on January 1st.

I feel incredibly nerdy being in this "deep" (::)), as some of my friends still haven't even applied anywhere. Not my problem, though. :o

But hey, I'm excited. I've had some awesome teachers in high school, but fuck do I hate 80% of the student body. The bright side is they're all so fucking stupid that it makes me, an average student, look exceptional.

I know my post won't help you one bit, but it felt good typing it all out!

I can't give good advice, as I'm only 18, and not quite out of high school yet, and ever since I was a little kid, I've known where I was going. But don't let anyone else tell you what to do. Do what you want to, or what you feel is best for you. Some of my best friends aren't headed where I am/anywhere at all, and have tried to talk me down. It sucks leaving friends, but it's something you may have to do.

I've pretty much done everything as soon as I could so far. Took my SAT beginning of Junior year high school, applied & got accepted to my college before Senior year started. Applied for housing as soon as I got accepted. Been filling out scholarships and the such to piss time away until the next step becomes available. Next on the list is my FAFSA on January 1st.

I feel incredibly nerdy being in this "deep" (::)), as some of my friends still haven't even applied anywhere. Not my problem, though. :o

But hey, I'm excited. I've had some awesome teachers in high school, but fuck do I hate 80% of the student body. The bright side is they're all so fucking stupid that it makes me, an average student, look exceptional.

so where are you going?

so where are you going?

University of Arizona

Just the prospect of living in the same dorms that Revenge of the Nerds was filmed at was enough to get my application.

dont be an art major.

make sure you have a lot of community service and other extracurricular related activities. join now! it's never too late to look like you give a crap.

also, take your SATs at least twice. that way you can take your two best scores and add them together.

Go abroad. You'll never again get a chance to pretend you live somewhere for an extended period of time without actually getting tied in somehow with a job or whatever. See the world, take out the loans because it's worth twice the amount it will actually cost you. Plus it allows you to come back from Australia wearing a scarf and a scally cap, calling everyone "mate" and it's ok, you just got back.

Do this. Not going abroad was my one big regret from college. All my friends did it, and they had amazing times.

When you're picking schools to apply to, make sure its somewhere you want to live. Early decision sucks, but non-binding early action is awesome. Go visit the places if you get admitted. Applying to college sucks, but college is awesome.

My advice for applying to college would be to:

1) Visit every school you apply to. I went to one school I was certain I'd apply to and after 15 minutes there I knew it wasn't for me. I went to another and it was wonderful. Granted you can't get everything from a visit, but you can get an idea if it's the kind of place you'd fit in and like to live.

2) Really figure out the scope of schools you think you can get into. I applied to almost all VA schools with the exception of two, but after the fact I realized that had I done a bit more research there were lots of out of state schools with as good or better academics that I didn't even consider.

3) Once you get in, bug the hell out of the school about scholarship money. I didn't really have to do this as I went in-state, but my sister went to school in Ohio and got a ton of money and with scholarships had the same cost as I did staying in-state at a public school.

4) In the end, go where you want, not where your parents want or what they say they'll pay for or whatever. College is fantastic and worth the cost so go somewhere you fit in and enjoy.

You get what you pay for. Seriously.

I went to art school for a year. It was the best year of school I have ever had. I learned so much. The teachers were incredible. I had a huge scholarship, but lost it due to a bad grade in Art History.

Couldn't afford it, so I went to a local community college to continue schooling. Community college is a joke. The teachers are absolutely terrible. And everyone that works there in the offices(registrar, financial aid, adviser) is extremely unhelpful.

Basically what I am saying is, don't go to community college. It may be enticing because it is so inexpensive, but there is a reason that is costs so much less, and that reason is that it sucks major ass.

Yea, I can't stress living on campus enough. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but out of the small fraction of people I knew who went to college, most of them stayed local (UB, Buff St, Canisius..) and hardly any of them dormed. They just continued to hang out with friends from high school and all they did at college was go to classes.

College is soooooooo much more than your GPA. Even if you fail out of college and never go back, what you learn by being (mostly) independent and the experiences of living in a community entirely made up of your peers is stuff you'll really miss out on by not really embracing college for the experience of college beyond classes. Like some people have said, your degree, in all reality, doesn't matter THAT much. You can do a lot of stuff without any degree, but your life will dramatically change because of the fun you have, the struggles you overcome, and the people you meet.

Plus, I can travel just about anywhere and I've got a free couch to stay on because I know people from all over the country. My friends from high school still know each other.