Biggest (Musical) Disappointments of 2008

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say these were HUGE disappointments but I was expecting more from these bands because of the long waits for the albums.

Sigur Ros - Med sud í eyrum vid spilum endalaust

This had so much potential to be good and different from their previous albums. Half the album is pretty bouncy and poppy but then they go back to their old slow epic sound on the second half. It's a bad contrast. I always have to stop it about 4 songs before the end because it gets boring.

Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling

Another one I was expecting to be really good. They had a teaser song, Dracula Family, on a comp before they released the album and I was expecting the same feel for the album. But this one seemed to be a call back to Come On Die Young. Very dark sounding. This will probably grow on me eventually like CODY did but at the moment it's pretty boring as well.

I thought Narrow Stairs and Build & Burn were both amazing.

Both made my top 10 for the year.

i dunno, i just couldn't get into narrow stairs for some reason.

i might have to give it another listen; sometimes if i dont like something, then wait awhile and listen again, i really like it.

Not sure how after Crimson anyone could be let down by Agony and Irony. Its the same basic ideas, so I suppose it was disappointing but wholly predictable. I was disappointed by how long it took for the Gaslight Anthem record to grab me. Not nearly as urgent as Sink or Swim. I was also generally disappointed by albums I was as least listening to. Nothing seemed fresh or interesting. It wasn't bad music necessarily but certainly nothing great.

Rise Against - Appeal To Reason was kinda disappointing

Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony

Im sure there are others Im forgetting

I feel like Alk3 and R.A. exceeded expectations, they might not have been the best, but i was pleasantly suprised.

my pick is the ben nichols solo. Lucero is my favorite band, but it loses something for me when he's not talking about girls and drinking

Rise Against - Appeal To Reason was kinda disappointing

Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony

Im sure there are others Im forgetting

I feel like Alk3 and R.A. exceeded expectations, they might not have been the best, but i was pleasantly suprised.

my pick is the ben nichols solo. Lucero is my favorite band, but it loses something for me when he's not talking about girls and drinking

Yea I just thought The Sufferer and The Witness and Crimson were both really good and Appeal To Reason and Agony & Irony both just fell completely flat. I think the new Rise Against album is way better than the new Alk3 album tho.

Yea I just thought The Sufferer and The Witness and Crimson were both really good and Appeal To Reason and Agony & Irony both just fell completely flat. I think the new Rise Against album is way better than the new Alk3 album tho.

oh haha, yeah i didn't like crimson or sufferer and the witness.

oh haha, yeah i didn't like crimson or sufferer and the witness.

well I guess if you didnt like either of those then there wasnt much to be disappointed by with their new albums