How do you organize your LPs?

After raising the issue with a friend, I am curious as to how people organize their LPs.

I'm assuming that most people store them vertically on a shelf or in a box, with the spines showing. (If you don't, then this isn't as relevant).

Anyway, the main point of interest I have is whether you organize them alphabetically from right to left or from left to right?

In other words, if you have your LPs on a shelf, is your "A" section at the right end (i.e. you go from right to left) or is it at the left end (i.e. you go from left to right)?

(I am assuming here that everyone organises alphabetically, but have included poll options for other people who employ a different technique).

I go from right to left, based on the logic that if you look at LPs on their side & you stand and read them, reading from right to left is like reading a book, since you naturally read "downwards". If they are arranged left to right then you have to read "upwards" to go from A to Z, which seems ludicrous to me.

Sorry for nerding out, but please let me know your thoughts on this highly important topic.

After raising the issue with a friend, I am curious as to how people organize their LPs.

I'm assuming that most people store them vertically on a shelf or in a box, with the spines showing. (If you don't, then this isn't as relevant).

Anyway, the main point of interest I have is whether you organize them alphabetically from right to left or from left to right?

In other words, if you have your LPs on a shelf, is your "A" section at the right end (i.e. you go from right to left) or is it at the left end (i.e. you go from left to right)?

(I am assuming here that everyone organises alphabetically, but have included poll options for other people who employ a different technique).

I go from right to left, based on the logic that if you look at LPs on their side & you stand and read them, reading from right to left is like reading a book, since you naturally read "downwards". If they are arranged left to right then you have to read "upwards" to go from A to Z, which seems ludicrous to me.

Sorry for nerding out, but please let me know your thoughts on this highly important topic.

Left to right

Why would you stand them all up anyways? Seems like more trouble than it's worth. (Unless ringwear is your goal)

Alphabetically, but with covers facing forwards

What does this option mean?

Man, I can't believe you "left to right" people are already the majority!

Here is (I think) a good rgument for my "right to left" method:

If you had your LPs facing forwards in a long line (like record stores do) so that you can browse them by looking at the covers rather than the spines, and if you had A at the front a Z at the back... if you then looked at this line from the side, you would have alphabetical order running from right to left.

Yeah, but we don't have them facing forward, so that doesn't really mean anything.

It just means that my "right to left" method is based on some kind of sense, that's all. I'm trying to figure out why most people do it left to right. If you could explain your statement that it makes more sense to go from left to right, I would be grateful. Why does it make more sense exactly?

CDs are alphabetically. LPs are collections first, starting on the right. The more a collection means to me, the more to the right it is. After the collections comes everything else in no particular order, but mostly the more listened to are more to the right. When I acquire a lot more records I'll probably go alphabetically though.

No order. This way I have to look through my records to find what I want to listen to. Sometimes I'll find something I end up wanting to listen to more. I find that this system works well.

No order. This way I have to look through my records to find what I want to listen to. Sometimes I'll find something I end up wanting to listen to more. I find that this system works well.

I agree, I spent hours putting my CDs into A to Z and I hated it so much. I like to lump LPs by sound. I got 2 boxes for old school pre-80 anything, then a lighter "indie" rock section, heavy psych section, rock n roll section and that makes it pretty easy for me to find what I want. I tend to want to listen to certain moods or sounds of music more then a specific LP honestly. Or if I want a specific LP its because I want something lighter and know it.