The eBay Factor

Guest abravemorning

there is nothing that is on ebay, that you cant be patient and wait.

ebay doesnt screw people over. peoples impatience of gotta have it now is what drives the prices up.

i have found TONS and TONS of items in used record stores, and peoples collections, or at a show where someone brings their records, or whatever. items that sell for 100+ on ebay, and i bought for just a couple of dollars.

sure some of the items i ahd to wait and search around for a couple years.

i always think its funny when someone says they bought a record online for 80 bucks because they couldnt find it ANYWHERE, and its only been out for 6 months.

virtually every record pops up for a reasonable price, but some takes searching. wait for a friend to get out of vinyl, and sell their collection. or trade them for a weeks worth of mcdonalds lunches. get creative. you dont have to rush to ebay to pay a ridiculous price jsut cause you gotta have the coolest collection right now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the above.

It also should be said that many people go to eBay, because it's a familiar internet environment to them, and a new Estore isn't.

Though eBay can be a pain as they don't control who you are purchasing from, the front end of it is convenient to most people for sure.

-J.

fraziermart - All I have to say about this guy is he's gonna be unloading these records in about a year or two for more than 50% less than what he's currently selling this stuff for. He's a prick and he's bilking these poor kids outta their cash. I'm new to the whole vinyl world (relatively) but I've learned a few things about prices, and I'd rather flush my cash than give it to this crook.

I second this, fraziermart is a dick. Fact.

true a record is only worth what people are willing to pay, but what the hell can you do when idiots are willing to pay twice as much as your average, seasoned collector? quote]

Wait a year and buy all their records for a tenth of the price when comics and action figures are trendy again. If you're into collecting for the long haul, waiting will make the finds that much sweeter.

i dont think dude is a dick. i think he is cashing in on kids naivete and impatience.

i have found 12 copies of that fall out boy LP he has for a couple hundred bucks in used stores around the country. all bought for less than 25 bucks.

some of the biggest sales ive ever made on ebay were from 99 cent clearance bins marked down because no one bought them.

ive found over 20 thrice "artist in the ambulance" double lps all for less than 20 bucks in various used bins in the last year or so. but for some reason, people assume the only place to find them is for 70 bucks on ebay.

i can think of a TON of records ive sold for 100+ dollars, that ive found in marked down clearance bins that record stores have had for months, or sometimes YEARS and have never sold, and i picked it up for 0.50.

ive gotten choice finds at rummage sales, thrift stores, record swaps/flea markets. or at shows where people in bands sell their records, or kids bring their old records to sell. or talking to older people in the scene who got out of the scene, and are willing to get rid of rare records relatively cheap.

personally i find it way more satisfying ot get a record cheaply after searching for years, than i do paying out the ass to have it a week after its release.

all this shit is crazy. there are certain bands that i do have that "gotta have it now" mentality. ie: bosstones, hot water, lifetime. but these only being bands that have great sentimental value to me. bands that i almost can't put a price on. granted, i do have a limit on what i'll spend. i can't see any situation where i have to have something soooooo bad that i'd spent over, say, $60 for one record.

but recently, i was able to score a copy of gaslight anthem's sink or swim on white/ red splatter in a trade through this very message board, then saw that it went for $85 on ebay a couple days later. $85 fucking dollars! i mean, no one even knew who this band was a year ago! and now their shit is going for that much. this is a record that will most definatley be repressed sooner than later, which is why i feel bad for who got screwed on buying that.

well i dont think anyone got "screwed" by buying that. they voluntarily set their bids, so they are happy to get the record for that price. everyone wins.

thats why i dont think that frazier dude is a dick. he sets a price. people voluntarily pay that, and leave positive feedback because they are happy with their purchase. seems like everyone wins in that situation.

I think there are two complaints happening in this thread and that they should be better delineated:

1) "Why do idiots overpay for things on Ebay?"

'Idiots' overpay anywhere. In a relatively free market it's up to the labels and bands to make sure that their (in print) stuff gets out into the hands of The Kids. Yes this sucks for the small-time operations we love, but Ebay is also an immensely useful for tool for labels to reach people that their virtual and physical distros don't (see jbannon's post). Paying Ebay fees stinks but if you feel a strong enough duty, you could always list BIN items at the value you think is fair (plus Ebay fees).

2) "People are spending more money on things I'm interested in!"

One way or another, vinyl is hot right now. If you think prices are artificially inflated for out of print releases of band X, you should have the patience to wait for prices to come down as interest wanes. If prices aren't artificially inflated, they are not likely to fall. Just remember: whatever reason drove you to suddenly have interest in band X, probably resulted in increased interest from others (this one is hard to accept for all nonconformists).

Just my feelings.

shit i just sold the me first and the gimme gimmes - stevie 7" for 76.50 last week. I woulda traded to someone on the board for something worth like 10 bucks. people are crazy!

I have been suckered into paying more than i want to because i got into a "bidding war" with someone else but then again i guess it makes you feel that much better when you score something you've always wanted for super cheap.

Ebay is weird in general. Something will go for a ton of money and I've been able to get it a few weeks latter for almost nothing or close to what it sold for new. In the last two days my girlfriend has bought two Beatles records that are each worth around $200 for about $70 for the two of em.

Earlier someone mentioned the used bin. That's great for folks like us who live in bigger cities and actually have stores that carry vinyl, but what about those folks in the middle of nowhere who don't have access to resources like that? That certainly effects eBay prices.

This is something I would never complain about. I understand where folks are coming from and I'm glad some folks are willing to point out when people are being ripped off. However, in the instance where folks are just spending a lot of cash that's what the record is worth to them. Maybe in their eyes its priceless and if they want to spend $50+ on something that could have been had for $20 a month or two ago, then so be it. That's their business not yours.

yeah. there is that too. tons of people focus on the one time some record goes for a retarded price, and easily dismiss all the other items that go for a normal price, or even a cheap price.

there are lots of records that i have seen sell for 50 dollars, and the next one up sells for 5 bucks. but everyone focuses on the 50 dollar one and freaks out about it, even though there are 10 more up for 4 or 5 bucks at that current time.

i dont think dude is a dick. i think he is cashing in on kids naivete and impatience.

quote]

That to me is a huge dick move. Music shouldn't be bought this way, and while these kids certainly aren't helping matters, however this guy doesn't care about the music he's selling, rather he cares about making a buck. He's trying to dictate a market rather than offer these pieces at a reasonable price.

you live in PA......how is there no good used record stores in the area? ive been to about 15 awesome record stores, all within the state.

for those of you who think you live where there is no used stores, try living in south dakota.

a lot of people think that they have no good stores, and therefore dont bother going to the mostly unknown places. some of the best finds i have found have came from stores that most "scene" kids didnt even know existed, or i was told "oh dont bother going there, they suck". so everyone goes to chicago and goes to reckless records, and totally skips the other 70ish record stores in the area (suburbs included).

most people live within 3 hours of a large city (100,00+ people), and pretty much ever decent sized city has at least one record store.

so everyone goes to chicago and goes to reckless records, and totally skips the other 70ish record stores in the area (suburbs included).

That's so true. I never find shit at Reckless, but there's a record store not 6 blocks from my apt. that always has good punk/hardcore stuff. Most people in my neighborhood are interested in hip hop/blues/jazz, so when punk records pop up, they just sit there until I buy them :)

That to me is a huge dick move. Music shouldn't be bought this way, and while these kids certainly aren't helping matters, however this guy doesn't care about the music he's selling, rather he cares about making a buck. He's trying to dictate a market rather than offer these pieces at a reasonable price.

well thats what happens in a free market economy. this is the way art works, and music and everything else.

in your ideal society, music would all be free. artists/labels wouldnt care if you downloaded the music. concerts would be free, and there would be no "demand", since the "supply" would be unlimited.

if there was no "limited supply" fraziermart would be out of business. youll notice he isnt selling any 200 dollar black vinyl ebullition, or havoc records stuff. why? cause its kept in print, and pressed time and time again to make it available for a "reasonable" cost. how is it a third party's responsibility to create a "reasonable market"? shouldnt it be up to the artist to create the "market" for their own work? by agreeing to do a limited press, or a limited ANYTHING, they are creating a market already thats not reasonable.

well thats what happens in a free market economy. this is the way art works, and music and everything else.

in your ideal society, music would all be free. artists/labels wouldnt care if you downloaded the music. concerts would be free, and there would be no "demand", since the "supply" would be unlimited.

if there was no "limited supply" fraziermart would be out of business. youll notice he isnt selling any 200 dollar black vinyl ebullition, or havoc records stuff. why? cause its kept in print, and pressed time and time again to make it available for a "reasonable" cost. how is it a third party's responsibility to create a "reasonable market"? shouldnt it be up to the artist to create the "market" for their own work? by agreeing to do a limited press, or a limited ANYTHING, they are creating a market already thats not reasonable.

Oh trust me, I know what your saying. I just think it's pretty unfair to take advantage of kids who may be new to the whole vinyl collecting process, and ream them right off the bat. Because I guarantee you the only seasoned vinyl collectors buying from him are guys that need that one last record to complete a set. And while it's not a third party's responsibility to create a market for the product, ultimately it lies with him as he's the one with the power to control how expensive these records will sell for. Obviously people are willing to buy it, but its unfair to take advantage of these kids in order to make his quick buck. I'm not advocating vinyl-anarchy with no rules, but some common decency in pricing isn't too much to ask for.

eh - i guess its just a difference in ethics then. i agree, its all silly. and i dont think its really cool, and i sure as hell would never buy from him, but i guess to each their own.

even noob record collectors know how to use google.

a lack of education is no excuse for ignorance in my opinion.