Post a PIC Of Your Collection (Band or Label ONLY)

Collecting variations isn't for everyone. I dont care about it with most bands, but with releases I really care about I can't help it. I am mind blowingly in love with O Pioneers! and I've had to resolve myself to tracking down some of their shit so I can have everything. Outside of test presses I have everything minus one 7" that the band has released. The 7" isn't even that rare and I'm losing my mind trying to find it because most of the folks who bought it aren't on this board or haven't updated their Hows Your Edge. But thats part of the fun. Hunting for rare records that mean something to you, and then the christmas morning when you finally get it.

I totally agree with Thomas but I am fairly guilty about having multiple colors. I plan on tracking down every color of Bear vs. Shark's albums, because they are one of my favorite bands, but if I was an AM! fan I wouldn't put up with that crap. I've had a completist mentalitity with other collecting hobbies and I've finally realized that record companies are just taking advantage to the hardcore fans who will put up with it.

Some people may disagree with me put ever hear of the Law of Diminishing Values? At some point multiples of a specific item have less or no value. If you have 50 copies of Axl Rose, and they all cost $15, that's $750 for the exact same content! That's pretty absurd.

Also, I realize my opinion around here isn't the "popular" one and I'm sure people will Smithe me but I just tell it like I see it.

I totally agree with Thomas but I am fairly guilty about having multiple colors. I plan on tracking down every color of Bear vs. Shark's albums, because they are one of my favorite bands, but if I was an AM! fan I wouldn't put up with that crap. I've had a completist mentalitity with other collecting hobbies and I've finally realized that record companies are just taking advantage to the hardcore fans who will put up with it.

Some people may disagree with me put ever hear of the Law of Diminishing Values? At some point multiples of a specific item have less or no value. If you have 50 copies of Axl Rose, and they all cost $15, that's $750 for the exact same content! That's pretty absurd.

Also, I realize my opinion around here isn't the "popular" one and I'm sure people will Smithe me but I just tell it like I see it.

well thats if you pay $15 a piece for them... for the longest time they were $6 a pop, and i got most of them thru trade/my wholesale account ;)

Guest abravemorning
plus from a funny logical perspective:

my 50th copy of axl rose is going to rock just as hard as my first copy. that new record from some other bands might not be as good :)

But in the end, it just means you have 50 copies of the same record. Surely there are records from different bands you have yet to track down and would like to find. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a dick, but buying the same record from the same band so many times just makes no sense to me. Obviously records are meant to be collected with the multiple colors, pressings, etc, but I don't believe in it. It's a cheap way of making more money, by selling the same record to someone multiple times. And to the person collecting, those records become more of a commodity than music. Do you seriously listen to every single copy of multiple records you have?

Apparently my popularity amongst here has taken a hit because of my view. If I'm going to be ostracized because of my view on collecting, then you might as well hit that "smite" button a couple more times.

plus from a funny logical perspective:

my 50th copy of axl rose is going to rock just as hard as my first copy. that new record from some other bands might not be as good :)

But in the end, it just means you have 50 copies of the same record. Surely there are records from different bands you have yet to track down and would like to find. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a dick, but buying the same record from the same band so many times just makes no sense to me. Obviously records are meant to be collected with the multiple colors, pressings, etc, but I don't believe in it. It's a cheap way of making more money, by selling the same record to someone multiple times. And to the person collecting, those records become more of a commodity than music. Do you seriously listen to every single copy of multiple records you have?

Apparently my popularity amongst here has taken a hit because of my view. If I'm going to be ostracized because of my view on collecting, then you might as well hit that "smite" button a couple more times.

nah man, I kind of agree with you. I have a Fucked Up collection going, and I have up to 4 of the same record but I think getting 20+ copies of the same record. I dont know though, i mean if thats what you want to do with your money then whatever, I know I could never justify doing that. As you have said, I'd rather check out other bands. Whatever turns yer crank I guess.

Guest abravemorning

nah man, I kind of agree with you. I have a Fucked Up collection going, and I have up to 4 of the same record but I think getting 20+ copies of the same record. I dont know though, i mean if thats what you want to do with your money then whatever, I know I could never justify doing that. As you have said, I'd rather check out other bands. Whatever turns yer crank I guess.

Wise words. Like I said, I'm guilty too. I spent some time tracking down all 3 colors of Texas is the Reason's s/t 7". But in truth, I probably could have used that money to buy some Hot Water Music or Promise Ring stuff that I'm looking for.

Guest kingbuzzo

The only thing that pisses me off about people collecting every variant of a record is when it's not also pressed in large numbers on like black vinyl. I don't see why records should be out in only small quantities for collectors to horde, thus screwing the person who just wants to have a copy of the record to listen to at an affordable price.

Guest abravemorning
then you can buy whatever color is available at the time for $6 or $7 off the No idea website and be happy with it, no? :)

Bingo. I want all the HWM LPs, but I'm not gonna buy each new pressing that comes out.

then you can buy whatever color is available at the time for $6 or $7 off the No idea website and be happy with it, no? :)

Bingo. I want all the HWM LPs, but I'm not gonna buy each new pressing that comes out.

no need to get crazy especially this late in the game for HWM. im happy with 1 copy of each album and thats as far as i will go with them.

but i do have multiple copies of certain records. whatever, no biggie. if someone has nothing better to do with their money and feel there is nothing wrong with droppin cash on each new pressing then so be it. it ABSOLUTELY should not effect anyone else. Its their fucking money!

And for those who get pissed because it makes the record hard to find, deal with it! its part of the hobby you are involved in. It will never go away.

The only thing that pisses me off about people collecting every variant of a record is when it's not also pressed in large numbers on like black vinyl. I don't see why records should be out in only small quantities for collectors to horde, thus screwing the person who just wants to have a copy of the record to listen to at an affordable price.

yeah dude no idea doesnt do alot of black records, but they always repress everything so if you just want "a" copy you can get it on color, and always for less than 10 bucks.

I know not many people here seem to be too into Fucked Up, but I got a few new 7"s in the mail so heres an updated picture of my FU 7" collection (not much has changed in my FU LP collection in a while)

[image]

PICTURED:

No Pasaran

Police - 1st pressing w/ deranged logo

Police - 2nd pressing without deranged logo

Epics in Minutes - aka. secret 7", friends only 7" - /300

Baiting the Public - Epics in Minutes labels - /200 (not sold supposedly)

Baiting the Public - large text cover - /500

Baiting the Public - classic cover - /500

Dance of Death

Litany - first press - white

Litany - repress

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - first press - white - /200

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - first press - black - /800

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - second press - gray - /500

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - third press - clear

"Fake 7"" - Dangerous fumes cover/Baiting the Public Vinyl/Litany labels - /150

Generation - first press (small hole) - /500

Generation - second press (big hole)

Generation - third press

Black Army - euro tour press - /175

Black Cross - euro tour press - /175

Black Army - regular press

Black Cross - regular press

Hoxton Cunts - sold at one show in UK - 17/30

Triumph of Life - jadetree press - pink

Triumph of Life - vice press (black) - UK tour cover /100

Triumph of Life - peter bower press - clear purple

Triumph of Life - peter bower press - clear purple w/ black splatter

Fums Perillosos - sold at one show in barcelona - 10/30

Teenage Problems - Dangerous Fumes reversed sleeve

Dangerous Fumes

Dangerous Fumes - German pressing (hate records)

Humos Peligrosos - Spanish Pressing (La Vida Es Un Mus records)

Shop Assistants - sold only at Hidden World record release shows

Dolly Mixture - sold only at Hidden World record release shows

Two Snakes - UK tour version - 11/300

Fucked Up / Hardskin split - only sold at one show in London - hard stock cover /30

so yeah, getting there. I'm still looking for:

generation - first pressing stamp

two snakes - US tour version (printed labels)

hardskin split with regular cover

Just wanted to send some serious appreciation on this. I'd kill for that special Hard Skin cover.

Guest kingbuzzo

yeah dude no idea doesnt do alot of black records, but they always repress everything so if you just want "a" copy you can get it on color, and always for less than 10 bucks.

I really wasn't referring to No Idea, although I guess since they press a lot of what's collected it's understandable that people thought that. I have no problem with them. I know that 9 times out of 10 I'll be able to get a No Idea release. It's more the labels that press tiny quantities of a record one time and then collectors horde them all, especially when its a vinyl only release.

I know not many people here seem to be too into Fucked Up, but I got a few new 7"s in the mail so heres an updated picture of my FU 7" collection (not much has changed in my FU LP collection in a while)

[image]

PICTURED:

No Pasaran

Police - 1st pressing w/ deranged logo

Police - 2nd pressing without deranged logo

Epics in Minutes - aka. secret 7", friends only 7" - /300

Baiting the Public - Epics in Minutes labels - /200 (not sold supposedly)

Baiting the Public - large text cover - /500

Baiting the Public - classic cover - /500

Dance of Death

Litany - first press - white

Litany - repress

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - first press - white - /200

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - first press - black - /800

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - second press - gray - /500

Fucked Up / Haymaker split - third press - clear

"Fake 7"" - Dangerous fumes cover/Baiting the Public Vinyl/Litany labels - /150

Generation - first press (small hole) - /500

Generation - second press (big hole)

Generation - third press

Black Army - euro tour press - /175

Black Cross - euro tour press - /175

Black Army - regular press

Black Cross - regular press

Hoxton Cunts - sold at one show in UK - 17/30

Triumph of Life - jadetree press - pink

Triumph of Life - vice press (black) - UK tour cover /100

Triumph of Life - peter bower press - clear purple

Triumph of Life - peter bower press - clear purple w/ black splatter

Fums Perillosos - sold at one show in barcelona - 10/30

Teenage Problems - Dangerous Fumes reversed sleeve

Dangerous Fumes

Dangerous Fumes - German pressing (hate records)

Humos Peligrosos - Spanish Pressing (La Vida Es Un Mus records)

Shop Assistants - sold only at Hidden World record release shows

Dolly Mixture - sold only at Hidden World record release shows

Two Snakes - UK tour version - 11/300

Fucked Up / Hardskin split - only sold at one show in London - hard stock cover /30

so yeah, getting there. I'm still looking for:

generation - first pressing stamp

two snakes - US tour version (printed labels)

hardskin split with regular cover

Just wanted to send some serious appreciation on this. I'd kill for that special Hard Skin cover.

that's one thing i almost don't understand though -- isn't it just kind of cruel to only print 30 copies of a record? as a musician, don't you want people to hear your music?!?

Here are a couple pics from two of my larger collections (too lazy to post more pictures)

LEATHERFACE (10"s and 12"s only, no comps)

[image]

(only missing Jawbox split on black and test presses)

(have a couple of doubles if you have something nice)

MEGA CITY FOUR (7"s only, no comps)

[image]

(not sure what I'm missing)

(have a few of doubles if you're interested)

• jhulud locked this topic
  • jhulud unlocked this topic