Post a PIC Of Your Collection (Band or Label ONLY)

Here's my almost complete Satanic Surfer collection.

Does anyone know if i am missing anything? I know i need 1) Fat's - Short music for short people comp, and i think Uncnsciously Confined may have been pressed on black vinyl.

[image]

Satanic Surfers 666 Motor Inn LP Black Vinyl

Satanic Surfers Going Nowhere Fast LP Black Vinyl

Satanic Surfers Hero Of Our Time LP Orange Vinyl

Satanic Surfers Uncnsciously Confined LP Bright Yellow Vinyl

Satanic Surfers / Concrete Cell Split 7" Clear Blue Vinyl

Satanic Surfers / Seven Hate Born To Skate EP 7" White Vinyl

Let me know if im missing anything. thanks!

Guest abravemorning
This thread kinda bums me out.

why?

To fully explain my feelings on this, it would require a long rant, which I don't have the time or attention span for. But in short it comes down to the futility of owning multiple copies of the same record. I'm guilty of this with my multiple Texas is the Reason and Gloria Record collections, but it materializes a band by collecting multiple colors of a record. Think of all the money and time spent tracking down those records, when it could be spent on other bands, getting into newer music. In all, what is accomplished by owning 50 different colors of Against Me's "Eternal Cowboy" aside from bragging rights?

Guest abravemorning

It helps me to appreciate a band more. Vinyl is a very aesthetic format. It's a tangible concept for me, unlike digital formats, which I don't understand. Once I have that record, really, what is the point of owning more copies other than just to look at? I have friends with hundreds of records, building up their collections with multiple colors, presses, etc, and they haven't every spun a tenth of their collection.

why?

To fully explain my feelings on this, it would require a long rant, which I don't have the time or attention span for. But in short it comes down to the futility of owning multiple copies of the same record. I'm guilty of this with my multiple Texas is the Reason and Gloria Record collections, but it materializes a band by collecting multiple colors of a record. Think of all the money and time spent tracking down those records, when it could be spent on other bands, getting into newer music. In all, what is accomplished by owning 50 different colors of Against Me's "Eternal Cowboy" aside from bragging rights?

How is it any different than someone who collects stamps, baseball cards, comic books, coins? It's a hobby that people enjoy, and it's fine if you don't care to own multiple presses, but there is no reason to say it's futile. To each their own.

i think it gets to a point where you have too much music to even digest. I own about 2,000 cds, and thats after constantly selling off things i didn't like, or tossing/giving away hundreds of demos i would never listen to again. Of that 2k... theres only a real handful i've been able to sit down with and really take in the album as a hole. Vinyl requires even more of dedication to checking out the album as you have to flip it every 20 minutes or so. yeah its kind of ridiculous to buy multiple copies of the same record.. but if you restrict that to a handful of bands that you love its generally not that much of an undertaking (aside from a couple bands like AM!, hot water music, the misfits etc).. and its just a hobby. I think most people that actually collect multiple colors of a record on average have bigger music collections than people that don't (im not counting digital.. because any idiot can go dl 50gb of music they never actually intend to listen to).

I hate to be that guy in this discussion, but I think you're both right. There is value in seeking out new music and getting farther into a particular scene that you really care about. At the same time, someone else finds value in trying to get everything (everything!) that they can from one band. And I think you'd agree abravemorning, considering how polite your responses are, that this is a personal choice, but not one that you want to make. I do agree with you, I'd rather have more records by different bands I really like, but I'm just getting into this. For a lot of people, like flood, tracking down AM! stuff is what he really likes to do (sorry for the gender assumption). I think its awesome he loves AM! enough to collect like he does. That takes just as much dedication as seeking out new music and taking the time to listen to stuff that might totally suck. I think flood has a good point also, in that collecting vinyl isn't about finding new music. The first time I hear a band is not going to be when I spin their record, its probably going to be a clip on their myspace page before a show. I really think that both philosophies towards collecting records are completely valid, because they mean something to you.

And flood, I wasn't going to say that people who collect multiple copies probably have bigger collections...but I think you're right. I don't want everything HWM has ever done on every color, but I'd love to have a copy of all their releases I haven't tracked down yet. But then again, I'm a n00b.

• jhulud locked this topic
  • jhulud unlocked this topic