Pet peeves about bands you like.

faith

I had a feeling! It's so funny because my two favorite bands that I am absolutely insane about are Alkaline Trio and Hot Water Music who were pretty big/are big into drinking and drugs and I'm straightedge.

my pet peeve is when people care about what other people do.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Copyrights. I've heard stories that they are huge dicks and when I saw them open the HWM/Raygun show they didn't even seem to give a shit and literally had no stage presense whatsoever and maybe said one thing to the crowd. Since then I can't even listen to them.

these guys actually aren't dicks...they are a little weird bunch of guys though...they're from Carbondale, which is the ass end of nowhere...so you gotta give em a little slack.

"Some say it's a Black Hole...."

Snort-a-line Trio

I don't really care about this band, but one time I saw Coliseum opening for somebody or another, and at one point during the set, the singer (who I believe is also in Black Widows and ran Initial?) pulls out his iPod and plays like a 5 minute clip of some right wing political speech so that he can spend ANOTHER 5 minutes talking about it, on-stage. This must have been in 2004 right before the election.

yes this is true... I thought it was awesome, but I like it when bands give non-rehearsed speeches on stage... Ryan was so angry about that, that he couldn't talk and the sheer frustration was epic.

The Copyrights. I've heard stories that they are huge dicks and when I saw them open the HWM/Raygun show they didn't even seem to give a shit and literally had no stage presense whatsoever and maybe said one thing to the crowd. Since then I can't even listen to them.

these guys actually aren't dicks...they are a little weird bunch of guys though...they're from Carbondale, which is the ass end of nowhere...so you gotta give em a little slack.

"Some say it's a Black Hole...."

I'll give you that.

That song is so great.

I had a feeling! It's so funny because my two favorite bands that I am absolutely insane about are Alkaline Trio and Hot Water Music who were pretty big/are big into drinking and drugs and I'm straightedge.

my pet peeve is when people care about what other people do.

I'm not saying I care what they do. I'm just saying it's funny that both bands sing about drinking or have songs about it and I'm straightedge. If I cared what they did I probably wouldn't like their music.

i know the two dudes that are in dear landlord are definitely nice ass guys...

yeah '97 through me.. altho i had a sneaking suspicion that it was about substance abuse and not a girl... altho it blows my mind that you couldn't tell the dude was a walking wreck from the lyrics of the first few albums.. and following the rule of drug abuse in rock and roll.. as you get cleaned up.. the music isn't nearly as good. blech.

yeah '97 through me.. altho i had a sneaking suspicion that it was about substance abuse and not a girl... altho it blows my mind that you couldn't tell the dude was a walking wreck from the lyrics of the first few albums.. and following the rule of drug abuse in rock and roll.. as you get cleaned up.. the music isn't nearly as good. blech.

well Skiba's the ultimate ball of issues, cleaned up and marching forth into irrelevance:

was gay, then wasn't. check.

cokehead for sure, suspected of heroin abuse. check.

leaves the city he's from, yet still reps's he's from that town. check.

marry's model. check.

get's clean & sobered up by wife. check.(probably still does coke)

all the while writing less and less relevant music. check.

next step: solo record...oh wait....

I hate when bands fade out at the end of their songs. La Dispute does it on a couple of tracks on their new album and Coheed seems to do it more than not.

if done right this effect can be worthwhile. but coheed does it on every song on the good apollos.

when they bug you to buy merch so you feel guilty if you don't.

This may have already been said, but my biggest one is when bands tell the crowd that they can 'move closer' and 'move around.'

my response to this is usually to yell "why don't you stop bossing me around"

my response is "if people are into your music, they'll do it on their own"

Guest genericinsight

That's strange because I've seen them four times and they always have great stage presence. Was that the only time you've seen them? Because that sounds like it was a big show at a big venue and those kind of shows, sometimes bands are really out of their element and can't be enjoyed on the same level as if you saw them at a much smaller venue.

I'd suggest going to see them play a much smaller show and see if you feel the same way.

When I saw Paint It Black open for HWM as well, I definitely could NOT enjoy them on the same level as when I see them in small venues with no barricades.

This may have already been said, but my biggest one is when bands tell the crowd that they can 'move closer' and 'move around.'

OOOHHHMAAAHHHGAAAWWWDDDDDDD I HATE WHEN THEY FUCKING DO THIS. It just seems like the only bands that do this in my experience, are ones that aren't so great to begin with which is why the crowd is dead in the first place.

Don't like when bands record music digitally and release on vinyl...if it's recorded analog, then put it out, if you record it all digitally and the only thing it ever touches is a tube mic pre, it should be released as a CD or iTunes ect.

Great bands that have horrid sounding bands on tour with them (i realize this isn't always the bands fault)

Green Day play exactly the same live set for an entire album touring cycle.

I love those dudes but they have a pretty deep catalog at this point, that they could really mix it up a bit.

YES

the american idiot tour had the same set list for 3 years..i saw them 3 times on that tour and it was the exact same show, its not even a concert at that point, its a rehearsed performance...and that's just not rock and roll

That's strange because I've seen them four times and they always have great stage presence. Was that the only time you've seen them? Because that sounds like it was a big show at a big venue and those kind of shows, sometimes bands are really out of their element and can't be enjoyed on the same level as if you saw them at a much smaller venue.

I'd suggest going to see them play a much smaller show and see if you feel the same way.

When I saw Paint It Black open for HWM as well, I definitely could NOT enjoy them on the same level as when I see them in small venues with no barricades.

I saw The Copyright play to about 30 people. They weren't rude by any means, but they didn't move around while playing, say anything to the crowd, or smile once during the set. After they played I tried talking to them and they weren't exactly the most talkative group of dudes.