California may regulate Marijuana

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11766760

Heard about this on NPR today. They had a pro and a con argument. The pro guy sounded like he was selling his book and website. The against basically spent the whole time insulting everyone and when presented with marijuana being healthier than alcohol he said that was like saying "Stalin was better than Hitler". Too awesome.

Nonetheless this is a really cool idea. Let's be real, ending prohibition killed the business of hundreds of mobsters and this would likely do the same for a big part of Mexican drug cartels. Not to mention it would make a shit ton of money for the state.

I always thought making small amounts legal would help stop gangs and nasty people from dealing in it but after watching a special on the Neo. Geo. channel they talked about how in the UK they did such a thing and it made the problem worse as gangs and nasty people stepped up production.

What we need to do is make growing your own and keeping that in your house legal.

What we need to do is make growing your own and keeping that in your house legal.

Yeah, and they should sell it in stores just like tobacco/cigarettes. Of course if you legalize it but then the only place to get it is still drug cartels its not going to work.

Less money for gangs + less people in prison for stupid reasons + less money wasted on law enforcement + mad tax $$$ = why wasn't this done years ago?

Yeah, and they should sell it in stores just like tobacco/cigarettes. Of course if you legalize it but then the only place to get it is still drug cartels its not going to work.

Less money for gangs + less people in prison for stupid reasons + less money wasted on law enforcement + mad tax $$$ = why wasn't this done years ago?

That's the plan in California. It's not about decriminalizing it but about making licensed and regulated sellers and then adding a $50 per ounce tax on buying (just like they do with packs of cigarettes). And don't worry even with the tax they said prices will still be about half what the street price is.

legalizing drugs is the best economic stimulus package.

This.

Plus, Hitler was probably better (or less worse) than Stalin.

6 million killed < 20ish million killed

You probably need to figure in the amount of people who died in neo-nazi crap along with pretty much all the people who died in WWII.

I'd say California could definitely use the money, but I'm against it.

Could be that I hate most habitual marijuana smokers I've met. They emanate douchebag.

I guess that's only where you live. I've run into people all over Florida and all over Virginia that smoke multiple times a day, but would give me the shirt off their back, ladies included, and are just in general nice people.

Unless you're referring to the kind of people that argue over their drugs, like you owe me money, or you're ganking me for this, that's when you know you have a drug problem and are a douchebag.

I know you said most habitual smokers, but you know what I mean?

Okay maybe I've run off course from what I originally wanted to post, or maybe I'm a douchebag.

FML.

This.

Plus, Hitler was probably better (or less worse) than Stalin.

6 million killed < 20ish million killed

You probably need to figure in the amount of people who died in neo-nazi crap along with pretty much all the people who died in WWII.

I don't think THAT many people have died in neo-nazi crap (relative to the numbers we are talking about), but you can't just count war casualties. Why not? Because I said so.

Could be that I hate most habitual marijuana smokers I've met. They emanate douchebag.

I guess that's only where you live. I've run into people all over Florida and all over Virginia that smoke multiple times a day, but would give me the shirt off their back, ladies included, and are just in general nice people.

Unless you're referring to the kind of people that argue over their drugs, like you owe me money, or you're ganking me for this, that's when you know you have a drug problem and are a douchebag.

I know you said most habitual smokers, but you know what I mean?

Okay maybe I've run off course from what I originally wanted to post, or maybe I'm a douchebag.

FML.

Even if they're douches, they're still going to smoke and be douchey so why not lower my tax bill on their backs? At least I get some kind of "reward" for them being douchey.

So you'd prefer to pay higher taxes while the same people do the same thing?

California not regulating would equate to my taxes in Arizona going up?

Regardless, I would pay higher taxes if it would prevent the issue I see from growing. My job may be at the bottom of the ladder, but it'd be a whole lot more enjoyable if I didn't "work" with a bunch of pot-heads. It's bullshit. (Probably don't hear this often, but damn do I wish they drug tested at my job)

So you'd prefer to pay higher taxes while the same people do the same thing?

Regardless, I would pay higher taxes if it would prevent the issue I see from growing. My job may be at the bottom of the ladder, but it'd be a whole lot more enjoyable if I didn't "work" with a bunch of pot-heads. It's bullshit. (Probably don't hear this often, but damn do I wish they drug tested at my job)

Well then your opinion doesn't really matter? Since you wanted to chime in lets assume if CA did it, it would spread.

My point was you'd still work with douchebag pot-heads. They would just be lessening your taxes by buying their pot through the government. You can argue there would be more of them then but I disagree, I think people who want to use drugs, do and people who don't, don't. Maybe a few more here or there who would try them but its not hard to get a hold of. Legalizing will have little to no affect on people smoking pot.

Well then your opinion doesn't really matter? Since you wanted to chime in lets assume if CA did it, it would spread.

My point was you'd still work with douchebag pot-heads. They would just be lessening your taxes by buying their pot through the government. You can argue there would be more of them then but I disagree, I think people who want to use drugs, do and people who don't, don't. Maybe a few more here or there who would try them but its not hard to get a hold of. Legalizing will have little to no affect on people smoking pot.

My opinion doesn't matter? Am I not allowed to support gay marriage in another state because I'm not a resident of said state? This place is general discussion. There's no boundaries as to who can post, or ranking of whose opinion is worthier than someone elses.

Has it been stated already that this regulation would lead to lower taxes? At this point, I honestly assumed California would want to keep taxes as high as they can. (Not arguing, just inquiring)

Hey Adam, you're right about us wanting to keep taxes high, but that's why this is a good idea. It would be a huge influx of cash. Granted, it wouldn't lower taxes over night but it would help our ailing economy.

As for your douchebag coworkers, dudes who smoke pot now are going to smoke it no matter what. That's a douchebag stone mentality. The illegality of pot has hinder its popularity so little that it's a joke. I haven't smoked weed in 6 years and I bet I could get some within the hour if I needed to, that's how easy it is.

Regulating it will create better standards and safer practices. No longer would folks need to deal with some sketchy ass dealer who probably wants to upsell them to crack. Drug trafficking into the state (and it's related crime and violence) would plummet. Who's going to pay $20 for a gram from some shady ass dude in a trench coat when you can get twice that amount and it's that good quality Wal-Mart shit?

The only reason this isn't getting more support is that it's a drug policy change. For years and years it's been "just say no". These things are good (pills and alcohol) and these are bad (everything else). To switch stance on any narcotic opens up a flood gate of questions regarding other prohibited drugs. Quite frankly, I'm not interested in seeing coke, heroin, meth or anything else legalized but that's because I see them in a very different light than Marijuana.