Did anyone else think Watchmen kinda sukt?

i thought it was alright... i mean they did change a few thngs (like the ending which i was reeeeaaallllyyyyyy bummed about), but after talking to my lady about it she pointed out that as someone who didn't read the book, it was a little long winded and could have been cut down. if all the parts i wanted to be included it would have been a 4hr movie, which i personally wouldn't be bummed about, but i'm pretty sure 90% of the rest of the world wouldn't be.

iron man is probably the most faithful comic book / superhero movie.

Sin City was pretty much a frame for frame adaptation/amalgam of several stories, that did it pretty well for a "verbatim adaptation"...and it wasn't boring or stupid...it was pure Frank Miller

I'm hopeful for the Wolverine movie to be ok...but goddamn do i want an Iron Man sequel pronto...that scene after the credits...holy fucking shit.

The guy at the end signed on for 8 more films!!!!!!!! I cannot wait. I'm sure some of those will be small like they were in Iron Man, but wowza!

i have never met so many people whose enjoyment was dependent on EVERYTHING being perfect. they nailed 70% of the book. they changed the ending, but it makes sense in the plot and it works. the black freighter stuff will be put back into the directors cut. As much as I love the squid it wouldn't have worked in the context of a 2 1/2 hour film. They did it as faithfully as they realistically could. Enjoy what it does right and realize this movie doing well will make it easier to do shit like Preacher, Transmet, or any other of a host of difficult adult comics correctly.

Thank you. Agree completely.

I think part of it is since there is just a finite amount of material to work with. Batman? Iron Man? There is soooo much shit written, you can take the best stuff, craft a mostly new story and it works.

With Watchmen, everyone knows every bit of the material and just expected it to be just like the books. Is it ever as good? Fuck no, because people read the books first ... and nothing is as awesome as the first time you experienced it.

My two cents.

i posted this on another board...but it applies here too:

as a comic book nerd, in defense of blanket statements:

I think V for Vendetta the movie was equally as good as the book(they changed things, but I accepted the changes but wasn't let down)

I think Iron Man was awesome

I liked the most recent Hulk movie, the core of the story was great.

the Spider Man Movies are pretty good to pretty great

I thought Sin City was fantastic, nothing was compromised.

the X Men movies are passable

the Wolverine movie looks good

the Christian Bale Batman movies are incredible

the first Tim Burton Batman movie is campy and fun.

Hellboy 1 (basic example of changing a book, adding a character to provide story exposition(the young agent guy), but still making a solid, pretty faithful story)

let downs:

Fantastic Four movies

Ghost Rider

Captain America

the first CGI Hulk movie

Batman Returns, the Val Kilmer & George Clooney Batman movies

the Watcmen (story-wise, visually it was perfect.)

Hellboy 2

what am I forgetting.

Saying the Fantastic 4 movies were a letdown is a HUUUUUUUUGE understatement.

the yeah...but in all fairness, they're a campy 60's comic book, the only way they could make a good compelling movie would be to just shoot the first arc of the Marvel Knights "4" Series, but even that got a bit silly. But then again I haven't read a lot of FF either...

Saying the Fantastic 4 movies were a letdown is a HUUUUUUUUGE understatement.

the yeah...but in all fairness, they're a campy 60's comic book, the only way they could make a good compelling movie would be to just shoot the first arc of the Marvel Knights "4" Series, but even that got a bit silly. But then again I haven't read a lot of FF either...

I actually know nothing about FF, I just know those movies sucked.

Well, not entirely. Jessica Alba is a foooooooox.

I haven't seen Watchmen yet...looking forward to it...not expecting it to be 100% faithful as with any comic book adaptation movie.

But I do know that I am burnt out of comic book movies...ever since Spider-Man 2 there has been a rush to adapt any and all comic books. It's the new cash-cow.

as a comic book nerd, in defense of blanket statements:

the Christian Bale Batman movies are incredible

let downs:

Batman Begins

Whaaaaaaa?

Tim Burton ran a little too unchecked on this while it's not bad, it's just a minor let down...it definitely planted the seeds for the Bale era/serious Batman...ok well...the more I think about it, that one wasn't really a let down but it was so dark at the time that maybe I need to revisit that one. Danny Devito was the perfect penguin for sure.

Whaaaaaaa?

Tim Burton ran a little too unchecked on this while it's not bad, it's just a minor let down...it definitely planted the seeds for the Bale era/serious Batman...ok well...the more I think about it, that one wasn't really a let down but it was so dark at the time that maybe I need to revisit that one. Danny Devito was the perfect penguin for sure.

you're thinking of batman returns, not batman begins

you're thinking of batman returns, not batman begins

you are correct...let me fix that