Chuck Klosterman

So I've read "killing yourself to live" by Klosterman, and thought it was good at parts, but for the most part kinda meh.

Is "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs" or "IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas" any better? Conceptually they sound better, and i'm sure some of you guys have read them. Let me know if theyre good. Kinda want some reading material other than comic tradebacks.

I really enjoyed "Sex, Drugs, And Cocoa Puffs". I would recommend it for sure. However, I haven't read "Killing yourself to live" so i can't really say which one is better. "IV" was a good read though since it gathered a bunch of his works together in one book. All in all i would recommend "Sex, Drugs, And Cocoa Puffs" over "IV" though. Hope this was helpful.

I'm currently about halfway through "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs", and i find it interesting for the most part. However, I cannot compare to it anything else he's written as I haven't read any of it yet. Basically I feel like you, good in some parts, not so good in others. Sometimes I find him to be too opinionated.

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs was overall entetaining. It's all over the road though, one chapter is about Saved by the Bell, one chapter is about football(meh), one chapter is about Billy Joel. It's just his random thoughts on various pop culture bullshit. It DID make me laugh out loud at some parts.

I just finished "Fargo Rock City" as well. Only Klosterman can call Shout at the Devil his "Sgt. Pepper", and find a way to compare the acoustic side of G N' R Lies to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs and IV are pretty much the same...collections of essays and musings on pop culture and such. If you like that kind of stuff, they're both really good.

I just finished Downtown Owl, his first novel, and it was terrible.

I prefer Klosterman's column in Esquire, which is often more thought out.

He comes off as a pompous twat.

That's part of his charm for me. I think his choice of essay topics is pretty humorous. I like his writing style.

That said, he should stick to essays and get away from fiction...though I thought the short story at the end of IV was pretty good.

Stay away from Downtown Owl though. I finished that book and was so pissed off.

i'm surprised you dont like him kirby, for some reason i thought you would have.

part of his writing style makes you hate him before you can really appreciate how good of a writer he is.

i started with killing yourself to live and loved it. i hated him and what he wrote about until the point where he is snorting coke in the parking lot of the bar that burnt down during great white. that made me realize that even though he is the hipster "it" person he was real and didnt give a shit what american apparel employees think of him.

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs and IV are both basically the same thing, a huge collection of essays, lots of good ones, some boring shitty ones.

My favorite book by far though is Fargo Rock City. I grew up in a small town in northern alberta and was almost completely isolated from any sort of musical knowledge short of muchmusic (shittier mtv) so the book really hit home with me. And like rocknroll said a couple posts ago, its hilarious how he can make these insane comparisons and then convince you that he's right.

I guess if you are going to get into more of his stuff id suggest you read one of his essay books first (IV or Sex Drugs...) to get a better idea of his style and then read Fargo.

I like Klosterman`s essay book, despite the general feeling I get that he'd be no fun to hang around with. Which isn't a prerequisite for liking someones books, but when you're basically just listening to someones opinion, it helps if they don't come off as a "pompous twat".

I liked SDCP and IV quite a bit, but I think downtown owl was a failed experiment on his part. He should stay out of fiction. The ending was so infuriatingly abrupt and didn't seem well thought out or at all poignant.

I've read all of his books, I like pretty much everything, but it is really hit and miss. SD+CP is my favorite followed by Fargo Rock City.

Also, in regard to Downtown Owl, I wasn't really a fan of the way his style carried over into fiction, but after being pretty indifferent/ a little disappointed the whole book, I actually was pretty pleased with the ending. Go figure.