So i finally hit my one year anniversary...

Of not smoking... Actually it was yesterady, but i slept most of the night away hopped up on benadryl for my allergies.

April 3 marked my 1 year anniversary of when i quit smoking. I tried many times before i got up to 5 months once, and just couldn't do it. I had been smoking since i was 12, so by now my lungs still probably look like a rare smoked brisquet. But it's been rather decent lately. I don't get winded after showering, so that's a plus. I can also run to the bus stop when i'm running late with no kind of side effects like passing out, or having a stroke.

to bad you don't get some kind of anniversary coin like you do in NA or AA. :(

So now i have started on my next trek...I stopped on cola intake for the time being and substituted it with water. I drink water daily, but nothing near the amount i intake in dr. pepper. After about a month of this. i'm gonna start actually working out. I tried running a couple of days ago and my legs are pretty sore. Hopefully it gets better. i do need a brace for my knee though. So hopefully by fest i'll be a slim 160 and in decent shape. hopefully.

So wish me luck. Any info regarding work out schedules and how i should start off would be awesome. I started eating salads and am not eating nearly as much fried foods at i normally do. So any tips are always helpful.

I'm coming up on 5 years with no cigs. You get to the point where you wonder how/why you ever smoked.

Keep it up Mike! Good job you.

i was wondering to whomever smokes or did smoke.. when you did, and someone wanted to start, did you ever try to talk them out of it? I always use to do that. I never gave anyone cigarettes who just smoked them to be cool, or after they were drunk etc.. and would always tell people it was a horrible habit.. even though i was a hypocrite for doing so, i at least admitted it and never recommended it to anyone..

Good job on quitting smoking, that shit is hard to do. I am going to attempt it soon. Any suggestions on how to quit?

well i got sick and my immune system isn't too hot from all the years of partying when i was younger and smoking, etc etc.. anyway, i basically just had enough of it.. i wound up getting the flu, and you know when youre sick most people just don't smoke.. well i stopped then, and was sick for about a week, then when i got better, i just kept telling myself not to... and i never said to myself, i'll smoke just one.. because one turns into 2 and so on and son.. i'm sure anyone who has tried to quit has gone through this phase.. rather i just quit cold turkey and havent' smoked since...

i know it's fucking hard, and i know when people start up again, i don't give anyone any shit, because it's tough.. mainly because it's legal and you can do it just about anywhere. and it doesnt effect you like alcohol does when you've consumed too much.. well maybe a nicotine hangover the next day. Which isn't hot at all.

I say congrats. I can make you a medal with construction paper...and I just found my box of crayons too.

Also I stopped drinking soda for about a few months. I was drinking flavored seltzer water because I love carbonation. About a month ago I fell off the wagon because...well I don't really remember why but I'm working on giving up soda except for maybe like a cherry coke or 7 up once in a while.

I'm also getting back into my eating better kick too. My best advice is to stay away from fast food as much as possible and cook your own food as much as you can so you can better control what you're eating. Just pick a night and cook a huge amount of stuff you can stash for leftovers and just microwave em that way you don't have to cook every night if you don't want to.

I wish I wasn't too poor to join the gym......if I tried jogging round the city I'd just end up ADD-ing and going into a comic or record store or something instead. At the gym I actually work out since the only thing distracting me is more exercise equipment.

Well played! I gave up smoking for lent and I don't think I'll start up again when it's over. With the higher state and federal taxes on smokes, my Lucky Strikes are probably near $8.00 a pack, which is ridiculous.

I

I'm also getting back into my eating better kick too. My best advice is to stay away from fast food as much as possible and cook your own food as much as you can so you can better control what you're eating. Just pick a night and cook a huge amount of stuff you can stash for leftovers and just microwave em that way you don't have to cook every night if you don't want to.

When it comes to eating right, that's the best advice there. Cook your own food, no processed shit. Use those cooking magazines they sell in the checkout aisle at the supermarket, get ideas from Rachael Ray(some of her food is nasty, but a lot is good and pretty simple). Being single, I only need to cook a couple nights a week. I make a ton of food and am able to stretch it out. I bought one of these to help with staying away from the snack machines at work and it's helped out a lot.

Congratulations, none of my friends have the will power to quit smoking. I'm glad I never started.

Well, i've been pretty lucky lately. most of my friends are recovering alcoholics and now married with kids, so they gave up everything for the most important things in life.

I will say one thing.. though my money hasn't really been saved like i planned, i do have a whole ton of more shit to show for my money than the $5 a day on cigarettes. Which is nice.

now to get to the gym or start playing basketball again, or skating, something to kill this fat off my gut..

When it comes to eating right, that's the best advice there. Cook your own food, no processed shit. Use those cooking magazines they sell in the checkout aisle at the supermarket, get ideas from Rachael Ray(some of her food is nasty, but a lot is good and pretty simple). Being single, I only need to cook a couple nights a week. I make a ton of food and am able to stretch it out. I bought one of these to help with staying away from the snack machines at work and it's helped out a lot.

i use to cook all the time in new mexico... well my roommate never ate out, except on special occasions... she didnt even eat fries from whataburger. she always cooked and never drank sodas either. so i kinda picked up on her habits.. my other roommate did the exact same. and we had dogs, so i was consistently playing in the yard with them or taking them out on walks, and the weekends were spent playing disc golf and having them run around with me... good times.. i really need to buy healthier snacks because i always crave shit at night... like now...