How much pseudo-country can you take?

Anyone else bored of all the punk gone acoustic/folk/country nonsense?

I like Drag The River ok, but I prefer All and Armchair Martian.

I like some of Rocky Votolato's stuff, but I prefer Waxwing.

It seems like since the Dashboard Confessional, everyone wants to pick up an acoustic guitar (even though they've been a real band for years).

I got a free Austin Lucas CD from Magic Bullet with an order and I listened to it and only got two songs in. It's terrible.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you. Like any genre or sub-genre, there is good stuff and bad stuff. It's strange that this trend has become so prevalent. "Did you once front a punk band? You're now obligated to go solo and do acoustic alt-country with overly earnest, heartfelt and emotional lyrics about being alone on the vast plains of the old American landscape."

I'm in for about 10% of it.

I'll file this in the "Who the fuck likes things I don't enjoy?"

I'm going to be forward and venture you don't listen to much country or you wouldn't throw Austin in the Pseudo-country category. The guy plays very traditional county/folk music (like very intentionally). Rocky Votolato is much more singer/songwriter than country (save for the last album, which is one of his worst). Seems like you're much more against acoustic music than country.

As for the Dashboard comment...That's just funny. They became popular back in like 2000 and most of the punk front man turned singer/songwriter has happened in the last 3 years and I can promise that none of those guys are going to credit Dashboard Confessionals with their decision.

Guest duhpunk

Not much. While I can appreciate the genre itself, I can't help but shake my head at Dustin Kensrue gone country when I'm so used to hearing him in Thrice.

And many other artists in the same sense.

I'm going to be forward and venture you don't listen to much country or you wouldn't throw Austin in the Pseudo-country category. The guy plays very traditional county/folk music (like very intentionally). Rocky Votolato is much more singer/songwriter than country (save for the last album, which is one of his worst). Seems like you're much more against acoustic music than country.

As for the Dashboard comment...That's just funny. They became popular back in like 2000 and most of the punk front man turned singer/songwriter has happened in the last 3 years and I can promise that none of those guys are going to credit Dashboard Confessionals with their decision.

I think its more who does not enjoy what I do not enjoy.

While Austin Lucas is not a good example of "pseudo-country" or the onslaught of country in punk, I certainly see the point he's making. I think you see it too. It seems there's a current trend of country-tinged punk rock and punk rockers going to a more country-feel.

I think its more who does not enjoy what I do not enjoy.

While Austin Lucas is not a good example of "pseudo-country" or the onslaught of country in punk, I certainly see the point he's making. I think you see it too. It seems there's a current trend of country-tinged punk rock and punk rockers going to a more country-feel.

I get the point he's making but it's very broad and poorly thought out. I could see classifying the dude from Thrice, the guy from MXPX and several others. But some of the artists who have made a bigger name doing the acoustic route as opposed to a full band don't really seem to apply.

Additionally, I still don't get the Dashboard Confessionals bit. They were big years ago and sound nothing like the hordes of singer/songwriters coming along now. It'd be like, "all this shit wouldn't have started if it weren't for Simon and Garfunkle".

I have nothing against acoustic music. I own an acoustic guitar. It's nice.

I've just become less than interested in the current onslaught of whatever you'd call the genre. Like it or not, many different singers of punk bands put down their mics and picked up an acoustic guitar after Dashboard took off. People like Kevin Seconds, Jeff Ott, Rocky Votolato, etc. The trend continues with Chuck Ragan, Tim Barry, etc.

I think that Austin Lucas is the perfect example of "pseudo-country". It's country music that isn't intended for country music fans. This is evidenced by the fact that he's on indie/punk labels and I'd assume playing shows. I don't think he's going to opening for the Dixie Chicks or playing at the CMA's or something.

Like I said, I like some of it, but it's just gotten to the point where it seems disingenuous. For a while ska was the big trend, then emo, now this.

Like I said, I like some of it, but it's just gotten to the point where it seems disingenuous. For a while ska was the big trend, then emo, now this.

I agree with this the most and I think it started more with a band like Against Me than Dashboard.

i could see this, but the difference (at least so far) is that while emo and ska got mainstream success this hasn't

I agree with this the most and I think it started more with a band like Against Me than Dashboard.

i could see this, but the difference (at least so far) is that while emo and ska got mainstream success this hasn't

Yet; considering honest emo bands started in the mid-to-late 80s and it just got mainstream success of a few years ago, I think we have time.

I've just become less than interested in the current onslaught of whatever you'd call the genre. Like it or not, many different singers of punk bands put down their mics and picked up an acoustic guitar after Dashboard took off. People like Kevin Seconds, Jeff Ott, Rocky Votolato, etc. The trend continues with Chuck Ragan, Tim Barry, etc.

I think that Austin Lucas is the perfect example of "pseudo-country". It's country music that isn't intended for country music fans. This is evidenced by the fact that he's on indie/punk labels and I'd assume playing shows. I don't think he's going to opening for the Dixie Chicks or playing at the CMA's or something.

If Austin could be on CMT or open for the Dixie Chicks I'm sure he'd jump at the chance, if only for the experience. It's a matter of talent. I love Dustin's record, but it isn't a "country" record, its just unplugged singer/songwriter shit. I think the resurgence of it has more to do with how over blown music has become. In the case of Thrice if I played bombastic shit with a light show behind it I might want to strip it down sometimes too. This is far from a major trend though. No one is getting rich off it. People are just letting their fans see the simpler side of their songs, or in the case of Drag the Driver/Rocky/Lucas/etc flexing a different set of influences. No one is rubbing their hands together, throwing out their mascara and flat iron, and plotting their shift into alt country. There isn't the money to be made that emo or ska so briefly provided.

You seem to have an incredibly limited grasp of country. Since when has opening for the Dixie Chicks or playing the CMA's meant something was country, and conversely, when has not doing those things meant something wasn't country. Look at Big & Rich. Those guys are all over that bullshit but anyone who has a history in traditional folk/country wouldn't wipe their ass with that shit. They play punk crowds because (believe or not) a lot of those kids have broader taste and are willing to try that stuff. That's how you get William Elliot Whitmore to open for Modern Life is War, but at the same time, none of them would turn down a spot opening for Old Crow Medicine Show.

As for more and more people jumping on it. It's not a trend so much as a sign of their age and the economy. A lot of the people I've spoken to about it all say the same thing, it's easier and more affordable to tour with one man than a whole band. And a lot of the older guys bands (Hot Water Music, Avail, 7 Seconds) aren't all that active anymore (or at all). So instead of trying to start a whole new band, they just pick up solo and play what and when they want.

I agree that it seems a little inundated as of late with a lot more people picking it up, but as I said, I think there's a 1,000 other reasons for a lot of people getting into it besides money. I mean, even the big names in the genre aren't making the that much money.

...People are just letting their fans see the simpler side of their songs, or in the case of Drag the Driver/Rocky/Lucas/etc flexing a different set of influences...

Sure, the big issue is when all the songs sound the same because a lot of these guys are just bad at arranging music when its acoustic. Then it starts to feel like a trend, when people who shouldn't do it are doing it.

I think it was a confluence of both things that has made it as big as it's getting trendy right now.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good albums. The Old Canes LP is great. Pete Yorn's "Musicforthemorningafter" is incredible. Rocky's "Makers" is a great record. There is a lot from this genre I enjoy. It just seems to saturating punk/indie/hardcore music, or at least the Vinyl Collective.

I think it was a confluence of both things that has made it as big as it's getting trendy right now.

Again, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good albums. The Old Canes LP is great. Pete Yorn's "Musicforthemorningafter" is incredible. Rocky's "Makers" is a great record. There is a lot from this genre I enjoy. It just seems to saturating punk/indie/hardcore music, or at least the Vinyl Collective.

I think essentially we agree that some people are cluttering the genre, but it may just be a difference of opinions on which ones. Rocky was better before he tried to have a folk influence.

I don't think anyone is saying it's about money. I agree with martin on this one, the genre has become over-saturated. I like a good chunk of it, the rest I dismiss entirely. Whether you call it alt-country, pseudo-country, folk or singer/songwriter, there is currently an influx of it and it's getting to the point where a lot of it sounds the same and the original message/meaning is being lost. It's not worth it to argue about semantics of what it should be called or disagree over what constitutes country. The point I'm taking away from this is that there is now an abundance of this type of music and it seems more people are getting in on the act. Personally, I'd rather see guys like Chuck and Tim plug in and rock instead of strum an acoustic, but that's just a matter of taste...which in the end is what it all comes down to anyway.

I don't have an ear for a lot of the more country & folk things that are coming out, so I don't like Austin Lucas's stuff and I can't totally get into DTR, so I understand where you're coming from. I don't think any of them are bad, I just don't listen to a LOT of stuff like that and can't get into it.

It all comes down to whether or not that person has the charisma to pull it off...Chuck most certainly does.

Tim certainly does too, even though he's really awkward, still.... it's still Tim fuckin' Barry.