How much pseudo-country can you take?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up on country, and i dont think any of this stuff for the exception of maybe Lucas is actual bluegrass/country. Most of it is singer/songwriter/folk stuff.

I have started becoming more and more tired of most of this stuff lately. Very few artists stand out.

As far as Dashboard being the springboard for musicians to turn to the acoustic and play the simple country/folk/etc. tunes.. I'd go with The Supersuckers or even Ween before Carrabba.

you guys are all fucking crazy.

Love it, Love it all, the more the marrier

I was raised on country (not the pop-country bull-shit that somehow passes as country)

Lucero is not an act or contrived

for the most part, it's a southern thing, and I can see why the rest of you guys wouldn't get it

I enjoy artists that are multi-faceted, i don't wanna hear the same record over and over and over from a band/artist that refuses to grow or try something new.

Some of it is better than others, but I love it all. Revival Tour was one of the best shows I've seen in years

I couldn't have said any of this better myself...yeah, south central Pennsylvania isn't the South but it is Pennsyltucky.

I used to listen to old school country music with my grandparents. None of that sexy tractor, American boot up your ass I feel like a woman bullshit. I love the whole country/folk/punk fusion genre because it combines sounds that appeal most to me. I really wish there were more bands and artists out there making music like that when I was younger. I like the fact that it's readily available and I don't have to rely on the same two bands for my fix.

Yeah, I will admit there are a lot of artists out there now making that music, but aside from the whole VC community I don't really hear much about it. It really isn't that hard to avoid if you don't like it. Don't listen to it, don't go see them play. If they open for a band you want to see, put your earplugs in, go to the bar and/or not pay attention. Someone used Kevin Seconds as an example. If you'd rather see 7 Seconds every few years vs. seeing him play solo shows more often...don't go to the solo shows...it's as simple as that. I don't mind that there are people who don't care for the genre, but I for one and happy to see it thrive.

You're 20... so this "old school country from when you were younger" would be what? Garth Brooks?

You're 20... so this "old school country from when you were younger" would be what? Garth Brooks?

I don't want to speak for him, but, uh... they make things like Records, CDs, Tapes, 8-tracks, etc that allow you to listen to music well after it was recorded, meaning things can be listened to well after they are initially produced.

I grew up on music from the '60s and 70s', but was born in '86. I'm thinking it's something similar for his story.

Edit: change those male references to female.. I didn't realize who was being referred to.

I couldn't have said any of this better myself...yeah, south central Pennsylvania isn't the South but it is Pennsyltucky.

I used to listen to old school country music with my grandparents. None of that sexy tractor, American boot up your ass I feel like a woman bullshit. I love the whole country/folk/punk fusion genre because it combines sounds that appeal most to me. I really wish there were more bands and artists out there making music like that when I was younger. I like the fact that it's readily available and I don't have to rely on the same two bands for my fix.

Yeah, I will admit there are a lot of artists out there now making that music, but aside from the whole VC community I don't really hear much about it. It really isn't that hard to avoid if you don't like it. Don't listen to it, don't go see them play. If they open for a band you want to see, put your earplugs in, go to the bar and/or not pay attention. Someone used Kevin Seconds as an example. If you'd rather see 7 Seconds every few years vs. seeing him play solo shows more often...don't go to the solo shows...it's as simple as that. I don't mind that there are people who don't care for the genre, but I for one and happy to see it thrive.

I think you missed the part where I said:

I used to listen to old school country music with my grandparents.

As in the music they grew up with and listened to.

I don't want to speak for him, but, uh... they make things like Records, CDs, Tapes, 8-tracks, etc that allow you to listen to music well after it was recorded, meaning things can be listened to well after they are initially produced.

I grew up on music from the '60s and 70s', but was born in '86. I'm thinking it's something similar for his story.

Yeah you got it right except replace "him" with "her" :)

I think you missed the part where I said:

I used to listen to old school country music with my grandparents.

As in the music they grew up with and listened to.

I apologize, I misread a sentence. (This probably doesn't read as contrite as it should.)

i would imagine since she said "with her grandparents" and "old school" she meant 50's 60's country

all I listened to was oldies growing up and im 20, its not impossible to hear music that was made before you were born

Guest smccown13

I have a fat country collection..but I don't want to brag. But I have a lot of hank williams, george jones, charlie parker, sheb wooley, buck jones..I know a little about country. Ok, I was bragging. Sorry. It seems most of these "pseudo country" acts nowadays get their influences from "real country"...your merle haggards and david allan coes. I would say I somewhat approve. Adding a slide guitar doesn't make you country.

i love old country... and while i can't say i listened to stuff my parents listened to, i get my big band era knowledge from them, i loved listening to country from the 60's and 70's. I use to listen to buck owens, cash, i'm a big waylon jennings fan. And I while not nearly as popular, Freddie Fender was a bad ass in my eyes. That might be becuase he was a family friend, but nonetheless. From all the stuff listed, i would think Lucas is probably more roots country/bluegrass than many, as most are more singer/songwriter/folk types than country. I do acknowledge that there's been a saturation with all of this, but i think due to this thread and all the fans of this type of music, it might be overwhelming compared say the vlv site, or the dead format site.

I'm gonna go back and listen to my Whiskeytown now...

As far as dashboard doing going from punk to acoustic, while not quite one person, the supersuckers did it years before. don't leave them out..

Guest smccown13
i love old country... and while i can't say i listened to stuff my parents listened to, i get my big band era knowledge from them, i loved listening to country from the 60's and 70's. I use to listen to buck owens, cash, i'm a big waylon jennings fan. And I while not nearly as popular, Freddie Fender was a bad ass in my eyes. That might be becuase he was a family friend, but nonetheless. From all the stuff listed, i would think Lucas is probably more roots country/bluegrass than many, as most are more singer/songwriter/folk types than country. I do acknowledge that there's been a saturation with all of this, but i think due to this thread and all the fans of this type of music, it might be overwhelming compared say the vlv site, or the dead format site.

As far as dashboard doing going from punk to acoustic, while not quite one person, the supersuckers did it years before. don't leave them out..

I love the Supersuckers. and now I love you more now. Have you heard Those Poor Bastards"?

I love the Supersuckers. and now I love you more now. Have you heard Those Poor Bastards"?

They just played here a few months ago. I don't know much about them but the name.

Guest smccown13

They just played here a few months ago. I don't know much about them but the name.

Get into them. I'm not sure if i'm trustworthy as far as music goes, but I will put my grandma's name on this band..check them out..it's so worth it.

Get into them. I'm not sure if i'm trustworthy as far as music goes, but I will put my grandma's name on this band..check them out..it's so worth it.

will do, but if they sound like a country brokencyde, im coming after you and stabbing you in the ears with knife sharpening rods, then your grandmother. :P

Guest smccown13

will do, but if they sound like a country brokencyde, im coming after you and stabbing you in the ears with knife sharpening rods, then your grandmother. :P

Check out my post. It makes it better if you are eating a real chalupa ;)