The Thrice "Alchemy Index" boxset is CURSED! SERIO

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

Moments after explaining how excited we all were that we got the Thrice box sets in, we got an email from our friends at Cobraside explaining that there was a blemish on the stamper for side G of the 4th 10" and the result was a really noticeable looping scratch half way into the first track. Because of this, Cobraside are pressing up 3,000 more copies of the 4th 10" and until we receive that corrected record, we are not shipping the Thrice boxsets. I seriously think this release is cursed. Cobraside said they should have the replacement 4th 10" done by monday or tuesday at which point, they will ship them to us, and we will ship the box set plus 1 10" to you. Sorry friends, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. Soon, very soon, you will have these great records in your hands and on your record player.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin
Have cobraside also send us a check to reimburse our shipping charges This is outta hand and we should really get something for the hardship.

Also: ISN'T THIS WHY WE HAVE TEST PRESSINGS!!!!

this is just a crappy situation all around. It isn't cobraside's fault that there was a blemish on a stamper and in the end, this is gonna cost them a lot of money. I feel bad for everyone involved and how long this has taken, but imagine having to press another 3,000 copies after thinking they had the box sets done and over with.

Have cobraside also send us a check to reimburse our shipping charges This is outta hand and we should really get something for the hardship.

Also: ISN'T THIS WHY WE HAVE TEST PRESSINGS!!!!

this is just a crappy situation all around. It isn't cobraside's fault that there was a blemish on a stamper and in the end, this is gonna cost them a lot of money. I feel bad for everyone involved and how long this has taken, but imagine having to press another 3,000 copies after thinking they had the box sets done and over with.

I have to imagine if they don't change the price on these, they're going to lose a ton of money. I can't imagine pressing 3,000 more 10" records for $0.

Agreed pressing an extra 3000 copies of a record is probably going to bite them in the ass on this, but you'd think with the amount of time and effort by all parties involved to create this item, there'd be a little bit more QA. I can't help but think that if someone listened to a test press or two, they'd have caught this way before hand.

Guest Admin
are they repressing the entire set or that particular disc?

just repressing the 4th 10". Just so you know, I don't know for sure where the blame lies, but my guess is it is with the pressing plant. from the way I understand things, the test pressings were find and approved. Somewhere along the line there was a blemish on the stamper that caused this flaw. For me and having my records pressed in another country, I rely on them to press the entire pressing correctly and in most cases they do. The plant should do spot checks for a pressing that large, but I don't know how they handle things. Shitty situation all around and it doesn't help that people have been waiting so damn long for these.

we have a few left in our store but I think they are pretty much sold out everywhere.

Email from Vagrant to me after I said:

I got it today. The first track on the 4th disc (earth) goes nuts and

skips. I guess this is a problem with all of them? What happens now?

Vagrant:

We're not sure how rampant a problem it is, but we are going to send out

replacement discs to anyone who hits us up with an issue.

are they repressing the entire set or that particular disc?

just repressing the 4th 10". Just so you know, I don't know for sure where the blame lies, but my guess is it is with the pressing plant. from the way I understand things, the test pressings were find and approved. Somewhere along the line there was a blemish on the stamper that caused this flaw. For me and having my records pressed in another country, I rely on them to press the entire pressing correctly and in most cases they do. The plant should do spot checks for a pressing that large, but I don't know how they handle things. Shitty situation all around and it doesn't help that people have been waiting so damn long for these.

we have a few left in our store but I think they are pretty much sold out everywhere.

so in general plants dont guarantee their product? maybe im missing something but why wouldnt the plant repress the 4th 10" free of charge to cobraside since they fucked up? otherwise, thats like rewarding their incompetence. i dont press records and never picked up a copy so i guess im wondering out of sheer curiosity moreso than anything.

Guest Admin

so in general plants dont guarantee their product? maybe im missing something but why wouldnt the plant repress the 4th 10" free of charge to cobraside since they fucked up? otherwise, thats like rewarding their incompetence. i dont press records and never picked up a copy so i guess im wondering out of sheer curiosity moreso than anything.

If the problem is the plants, they should honor this and repress for free. that is more than likely what is happening, but I am just saying the cost to ship the records to their distributors, the cost to send mailorder customers who have already received this, thee is just a lot of extra time and money. I am glad we did not ship out our copies because we would have had to ship the replacement record to 400 people. shitty shitty shitty

I'm assuming orders from Vagrant are also getting this extra 10"

im wondering the same thing. i didnt order through Vagrant but other places got these in too aside from VC. Interpunk, Nerd Alert and Aural Exploits off the top of my head, along with brick & mortar stores. what are they going to do about the other places, especially the brick & mortar stores. recall the entire set? this pressing error made a situation that seemingly could not get any worse, much much worse.

well hopefully the pressing company will end up paying for the mistake, who knows though

anyways, is it still possible to buy one of these or are they basically sold out everywherE?

These will be at Hot Topic, I think.

Not sure when HT will get copies since they have to go back and change out the 4th disc on all the sets they are sending.