collecting variants/ complete-ism

Guest drahtuos

neither color people nor don't care about color people are better than the other. jaicomo is right, these arguments are without point. some would rather have more different album covers and some would rather have more different colors inside the same album covers, in the end were all just buying a bunch of plastic discs that magically play music.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I don't think collecting variants is greedy, maybe a tad bit obsessive-compulsive, but not greedy. the only variants I collect are my own damn releases and that retarded Jud Jud collection I have(and there's only like 8 variants).

It's a personal choice thing, I don't fault people for collecting variants, but I don't completely understand it either.

I collect everything on No Idea, Kiss Of Death and Traffic Street, plus most related releases by the bands on those labels, and a few other random bands I really like! I don't care much for TP's unless they come with a proper sleeve etc, I don't like when they're just in a plain white sleeve, no labels etc, that's just not interesting to me. Other than those I have in excess of 6000 records which I only have one copy of so......each to their own, and what records you spend your money on is no-ones business but your own!!

I used to really be into variants but I decided I would rather have new records than the same one so I reluctantly stopped. Now I'm in the process of selling a majority of my Torche collection to buy other records. Its hard to let go but getting that new record is pretty sweet also.

Guest markovianprocess

I'm really dreading the day that I become a variant collector. It's always nice to own a cool looking press, but for me I couldn't bring myself to buy two of the same record. I'm not ruling it out completely though.

Guest duhpunk
I'm really dreading the day that I become a variant collector. It's always nice to own a cool looking press, but for me I couldn't bring myself to buy two of the same record. I'm not ruling it out completely though.

Six months ago, I thought the same thing. Now I'm one variant and one TP away from having my first complete collection.

I always buy the variant that I think will match the cover art the best, whether thats the rarest version or not. I think I have 2 doubles out of my whole collection, one of them being two copies of Thursday's Waiting on white (because I preordered it from two different places and forgot I had done so) the other being two copies of These Arms Are Snakes Easter. I had originally just got the yellow/black in and out version but when the special screenprinted one came out I knew i'd rather just have that so I'm either going to trade/give/sell the yellow and black one.

Listen, this our hobby. Our passion. People are going to do it a little different from one another, and yes, we always have these discussions, but that is also part of the lifestyle.

WE BUY RECORDS.

I am a self described cheap bastard. I envy some of the collections I see on here and am blown away on how cool and fun they are. I have a few varients (mostly Fat bands), but sometimes I feel guilty spending large amounts of money on a record that I already have. Bottom line is that I love varients and really enjoy looking at some of the complete/ nearly complete collections.

I used to really be into variants but I decided I would rather have new records than the same one so I reluctantly stopped. Now I'm in the process of selling a majority of my Torche collection to buy other records. Its hard to let go but getting that new record is pretty sweet also.

ninjapudding?

I don't particularly go for variants, though some bands I've managed to snag a few. (Tim Version and Against Me! I purposely bought variants of, though I'm done with even those. Selling off the remains currently.)

There are lots of different aspects to collecting records. To some, it's different albums, to others, it's different colors.

What bothers me is when people complain about doing it one way or another. (Like if I was to complain about RAR pressings as an Against Me! collector. Although I must say, it's kind of funny that most of the animosity towards the release is by those who don't even go for the variants of it. Perhaps a bad example on my part. But for most other releases, it seems some collectors take offense to variation, as if it's a burden on them.)

i have an ok owth collection, several times i've thought about saying "fuck it" and just stopping, but whatever, it's something to do. life can be boring, and you know what, everyone collects something; stamps, coins, china, i have a friend who has a stomache lint collection, it's something to kill boredom.

if someone wants to collect diffrent color variations of records, who cares, if it makes you happy ... DO IT.

ninjapudding?

Yeah, that is right. How did you know?

I always had an obsession collecting stuff. I collected fountain pens, lighters, stamps, but I gave up on everything because I didn't use any of it (I'm not a writer, I don't smoke, and stamps are just useless). So when I started buying records, with a band I really loved this obsession came into place again. What I really cannot stand is some of the people that buy only one copy of each record act like they're so much better than variant collectors. Fuck, I'm sure you spend your money on some other shit I would find completely stupid, but I don't think I'm any better than you because of that. Every person has some hobbies/obsessions, with some this just happens to be collecting variants.

i can barely afford to buy single copies of the albums i want let alone multiple copies.

That being said if you get kicks out of having all the variants of an album that feel free to purchase them. I would much rather money go towards bands, labels and people like Virgil than other places where people blow there money.

about a year and a half ago I never even bought a record. I only collected cds. Then I saw a picture of a insane Get Up Kids collection and I thought that it was the greatest thing I have ever seen. Not only to have it on cd, but to have it on vinyl. And to have every little color and whatnot. So thats how I got my start and now I love buying variants. Its like a quest, its like being a hunter and tracking down anything I can. I buy it because I enjoy it. Do what makes you happy, and fuck everyone else.

Yeah, that is right. How did you know?

I bought, i think, a copy of meanderthal and a j bannon print off you. I look for the same few bands everyday and always wondered why so many copies of torche records were coming out of seattle.

Awesome, thanks man. Im going to put more up as the days go by.

Guys I think we have to look at this from a psychological standpoint. We people that collect variants and even people that use to collect variants get something (a high) from the thrill of the hunt and to fulfill a quest.

What I have found is a euphoric feeling when I find something that I've been looking to pick up for quite some time and a double "high" if i get a great deal on it. And the best high comes when it arrives and it sort of feels like Christmas each time the package is dropped off. I take it out of the package, clean the vinyl if necessary, adore it for a minute, repackage in some expensive Japanese mylar sleeves, and off it goes to be filed away with its counterparts.

Afterwards, there is low... until you find the next variant your looking for. I think that the people that were able to finally get rid of their variants have some how found a way to cope with this cycle. Dont know but i do know that there are aspects of variant collecting that just fills a need that I have.. and maybe I just have that obsessive compulsive disorder to collect and yes maybe if i wasnt collecting variants i would spend my time collecting something a lot less interesting that I wouldnt be as happy doing?

Dont know but i think there is a sub conscious desire to collect variants at least in some people... and what do we as people do...

IF IT FEELS GOOD --- DO IT!

Thats my opinion anyway.

^ the thrill of the hunt that you are describing is not an exclusive thing to collecting variants. I get excited every time I find a different record that I have been looking for.

And sort of to the same point, a lot (not all) of variant collecting these days has more to do with preorder packages and ebay bidding than it does any kind of hunt.

^ the thrill of the hunt that you are describing is not an exclusive thing to collecting variants. I get excited every time I find a different record that I have been looking for.

And sort of to the same point, a lot (not all) of variant collecting these days has more to do with preorder packages and ebay bidding than it does any kind of hunt.

Yeah, but you still get the high when you place the order or seal the deal.