Necessities that are absolutely NOT

A few things lately have annoyed me, so I decided to make a thread ranting about them. Feel free to add to it if you have any more..

There's a few things society deems as life necessities that you can 100% go without.

First: cable TV, or TV in general. Just make the goddamn switch to digital signals and stop worrying about whether people are ready for it. If they are ready, great, if they're not, they'll either catch up, or they'll go without TV and realize it's not that bad. The federal government should not be wasting money making sure everyone is ready for the digital switch - just make it.

Second: Cell phones. Why am I paying $3 a month for someone else to have a cell phone? Since when will you die without it?

a car. i have managed to go two years with no need for one.

public transportation gets me where i need to go if i cant walk, most things can be delivered to me and in the event that i need a car for a day or two, there are services like zipcar that have rentals parked all around the city to be picked up and dropped off.

plus, savings on gas and insurance really add up.

a car. i have managed to go two years with no need for one.

public transportation gets me where i need to go if i cant walk, most things can be delivered to me and in the event that i need a car for a day or two, there are services like zipcar that have rentals parked all around the city to be picked up and dropped off.

plus, savings on gas and insurance really add up.

Try living in a non-major city once without a car.

First: cable TV, or TV in general. Just make the goddamn switch to digital signals and stop worrying about whether people are ready for it. If they are ready, great, if they're not, they'll either catch up, or they'll go without TV and realize it's not that bad. The federal government should not be wasting money making sure everyone is ready for the digital switch - just make it.

and the fact that i have actually seen commercials for classes on how to be prepared for the switch

and the fact that i have actually seen commercials for classes on how to be prepared for the switch

the best part is that the gov't subsidized the purchase of the boxes because apparently everyone NEEDS tv, but they don't really need stuff like healthcare, unemployment benefits, or childcare.

Also, although I totally understand that its not always possible, I like not having a car, too.

One of the very few girlie girl things about me is that I'm all over skin care products. I spend sooo much money on them but I don't NEED them. I've just had an uphill battle with acne since puberty and if I can tame it just a little bit that confidence goes a longshot.

I also bought a 30 dollar bottle of shampoo and a 20 dollar bottle of conditioner (on two separate shopping trips and weeks mind you). They do wonders for my hair though.

Not needed at all but I think some people feel like they are.

get over it. cell phone are a fucking life necessity
Not to the point that the government needs to tax everyone to provide those too poor for their own legitimately with a brand new cell phone. I know it's limited-use, but no, you can get by without a cell phone these days. Ask my too-cheap-to-buy-a-cell-phone father for a tutorial.

If he can do it, Joe Unemployed can do it, too.

You don't need to be 100% accessible at every second of the day, despite what Verizon and everyone else will tell you. I'll actually take my opening sentence to this post and take it back to say no, you're wrong, they are not a "fucking life necessity" by any means. You can have a house phone and check your voicemail once in a while. You don't need to have a phone up to your ear at every moment.

get over it. cell phone are a fucking life necessity
Not to the point that the government needs to tax everyone to provide those too poor for their own legitimately with a brand new cell phone. I know it's limited-use, but no, you can get by without a cell phone these days. Ask my too-cheap-to-buy-a-cell-phone father for a tutorial.

If he can do it, Joe Unemployed can do it, too.

what are you guys talking about? post a link or something... is this a law somewhere? they honestly tax people to provide cell phones to the poor?

with all due respect, you sound like a self-righteous prick

if it bothers you so much, why don't you stop watching tv. Because you obviously have to watch to know that they have been pimping the switch to digital so hard

Second: Cell phones. Why am I paying $3 a month for someone else to have a cell phone? Since when will you die without it?

well, if and when you are in a horrible car crash and nobody is around to see it, YOU MIGHT DIE!!!!!!

"....but I said With All Due Respect!" :P

I watch TV maybe twice a week, but it's not so much seeing the commercials as knowing that the Federal government is wasting billions of dollars on this all-important switch.

And people managed without cell phones for years, I think they can continue. Keep being a dick though, with all due respect.

And the real problem with your second scenario is the car crash, not not-having a cell phone. And, if you can afford a car, you can afford to get at least a pay-as-you-go cell phone just for that circumstance, where you won't be a burden to the rest of society. But yea, everything should be handed to everyone.

things mcm1610 needs to give up to be happy:

television

cars

cell phones

And people managed without cell phones for years, I think they can continue. Keep being a dick though, with all due respect.

and according to this statement, most everything else in life, including computers, the internet, and this message board

And, if you can afford a car, you can afford to get at least a pay-as-you-go cell phone just for that circumstance, where you won't be a burden to the rest of society. But yea, everything should be handed to everyone.

and according to this, he should quit his job so he doesn't have to pay taxes that contribute to well-fare

awesome, i smell an award winning documentary!

*scratch that, it would require way too many non-necessities

Find a quote that said you can't be happy with those things in your possession and/or where people shouldn't have them at all.

What I'm saying is that if I couldn't afford those things, I wouldn't expect anyone else to provide them for me. I don't. I don't have TV - if I feel the need to watch something, I go elsewhere. I don't have the internet - same thing, I go elsewhere.

You're almost getting me good, though.