Anyone going near an American Apparel store soon?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good handful of AA shirts because they're band shirts. I will admit, they're comfy and they fit me nicely but there are plenty of other companies that make clothes like that and have far better business practices and conduct. I only ever bought the shirts to support the bands.

However, ever since AA has been exposed for the true scummy company they are, I've noticed bands aren't getting merch printed on AA anymore.

PS. Grover is adorable. That photo of him makes me smile for sure :)

Actually I found another shirt that's AA. I have an Against Me! shirt from a tour in like 2005ish that immediately got a hole in the back and has the same shoulder issues as my other one which I ordered from No Idea online and didn't know what company it was. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's like someone scrunched their shoulders forward, and that's how the shirts stay unless I actively make sure they aren't that way (but then they return to that position anyway).

I always find it odd that people choose AA as the company to take a moral stand against. I suspect it has to do with how AA has become the poster-company for the most obnoxious type of 'hipster' (whom I agree are super annoying).

AA has a lot of terrible shit on its hands - from preventing unionization to their ridiculous sexism and Dov Charney being one of the biggest fuckheads on the planet - and these things are certainly worthy of boycotting the company for. But their labour standards are also leaps and bounds better than the vast majority of major clothing brands that most people (many of whom boycott AA) wear without question.

I really don't know if I can properly emphasize how much better they are than most major brands. I'm doing an M.A. right now and my area of research revolves around labour standards and sweatshops, and I can say without hesitation that the conditions of AA's factories can't even be compared to most other places. Which is not to say that they're even close to being great, but is rather testament to how terrible most company's labour standards are. The KnowMore article that someone linked to earlier is an excellent resource - it points out the many problems with AA, but also talks at great length about the general progressiveness of the organization. AA provides workers a living wage, offers cheap health plans, free English classes, libraries, subsidized bus passes, massages, help with immigration documents, etc. What other garment manufacturers do that?

I realize I'm probably coming off as some sort of AA crusader, which isn't really the case - while I do own a bit of AA clothing (I find they're one of few companies whose clothing actually fits relatively short males such as myself), I would much prefer if people bought from thrift stores or more ethical companies such as No Sweat. But as someone really concerned with labour rights, I feel it's important that AA's progressive labour practices be highlighted, especially in comparison to most of the companies we as consumers unquestioningly buy stuff from. AA still has a long way to go with their labour issues, and their pervasive sexism/harrassment is despicable and certainly worthy of boycotting, but they're WAY more progressive than the vast majority of corporations.

Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away. My general point is that AA can be considered worthy of boycott, but I truly hope that you're also boycotting countless other clothing brands for committing far worse worker violations.

Oh, and if you just don't like their clothes, that's alright too.

Funny story. I wanted a pair of American Apparel swim trunks. So when me and my lady were going down to Amoeba on Record Store Day, we stopped at the AA store in Hollywood. The dude at the cash register was like, "So uh, are you guys like best friends? Room mates?" And I had to tell him, "I'm not gay man. We're together." What the fuck?

Guest kissthesharks
he was trying to immasculate you in front of what he knew was your girlfriend because he thought she was cute and he wanted to feel better about himself. congratulations, you made a hipster jealous.

:-\

Dan is never wrong.

i have a bunch of AA shirts because theyre band shirts. I dont see how theyre comfortable over a shirt that is fruit of the loom or something. Though i do have a ra ra riot shirt that is printed on AA 50/50 blend, and it's the most comfortable shirt i own.

My girlfriend likes buying the plain AA shirts. I just dont get it =/

he was trying to immasculate you in front of what he knew was your girlfriend because he thought she was cute and he wanted to feel better about himself. congratulations, you made a hipster jealous.
Either that, or he himself was gay and was about to make a pass at me. I'm not stoked with the implications of either scenario.

I guess it makes sense, seeing as the girl looks like a damn American Apparel ad.

[image]

Haha - this thread went nuts.

I wanted that specific wallet because I want to make a cyanotype print on it.

Basically I'd coat the wallet in the cyanotype fluid and let it dry. Then put a negative on top of it and squish it in a contact frame. It exposes in the sun for 5-10 min and then you develop it in water + hydrogen peroxide. It makes a permanent print on the wallet of a photograph or any artwork I make on the computer. I think it would be cool to try out - but AA online only has dark colors available.

Here is a limited edition CD sleeve I'm in the process of making with this same method:

[image]

Here they are pre-cut and sewn:

[image]

I always find it odd that people choose AA as the company to take a moral stand against. I suspect it has to do with how AA has become the poster-company for the most obnoxious type of 'hipster' (whom I agree are super annoying).

AA has a lot of terrible shit on its hands - from preventing unionization to their ridiculous sexism and Dov Charney being one of the biggest fuckheads on the planet - and these things are certainly worthy of boycotting the company for. But their labour standards are also leaps and bounds better than the vast majority of major clothing brands that most people (many of whom boycott AA) wear without question.

I really don't know if I can properly emphasize how much better they are than most major brands. I'm doing an M.A. right now and my area of research revolves around labour standards and sweatshops, and I can say without hesitation that the conditions of AA's factories can't even be compared to most other places. Which is not to say that they're even close to being great, but is rather testament to how terrible most company's labour standards are. The KnowMore article that someone linked to earlier is an excellent resource - it points out the many problems with AA, but also talks at great length about the general progressiveness of the organization. AA provides workers a living wage, offers cheap health plans, free English classes, libraries, subsidized bus passes, massages, help with immigration documents, etc. What other garment manufacturers do that?

I realize I'm probably coming off as some sort of AA crusader, which isn't really the case - while I do own a bit of AA clothing (I find they're one of few companies whose clothing actually fits relatively short males such as myself), I would much prefer if people bought from thrift stores or more ethical companies such as No Sweat. But as someone really concerned with labour rights, I feel it's important that AA's progressive labour practices be highlighted, especially in comparison to most of the companies we as consumers unquestioningly buy stuff from. AA still has a long way to go with their labour issues, and their pervasive sexism/harrassment is despicable and certainly worthy of boycotting, but they're WAY more progressive than the vast majority of corporations.

Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away. My general point is that AA can be considered worthy of boycott, but I truly hope that you're also boycotting countless other clothing brands for committing far worse worker violations.

Oh, and if you just don't like their clothes, that's alright too.

Do you have any kind of resource for finding good, ethical, eco-friendly manufacturers of clothing?

Guest drahtuos
Haha - this thread went nuts.

I wanted that specific wallet because I want to make a cyanotype print on it.

Basically I'd coat the wallet in the cyanotype fluid and let it dry. Then put a negative on top of it and squish it in a contact frame. It exposes in the sun for 5-10 min and then you develop it in water + hydrogen peroxide. It makes a permanent print on the wallet of a photograph or any artwork I make on the computer. I think it would be cool to try out - but AA online only has dark colors available.

Here is a limited edition CD sleeve I'm in the process of making with this same method:

[image]

Here they are pre-cut and sewn:

[image]

oh i see, those are really cool man +1