The Vinyl Bubble.

Guest kevinb

It seems really weird right now prices on ebay are constantly fluctuating. I mean I would say collectors aren't affected by the economy but I think we all know that isn't true. at the same time there are plenty of moments that make us say wtf ? people just dont do their research and if that is the case it is their own damn fault

Guest Admin

My thoughts on the vinyl bubble are that the economy has greatly affected spending habits of everyone. We have felt it in a pretty big way as probably every industry has. That said, I sat in on a vinyl panel at NARM a few weeks back and the excitement over the format was as strong as ever. The majors who were represented on the panel are excited about the format and bringing lots of great titles back in print (also some stinkers).

Besides the economy though, there have been so many new retailers getting back into vinyl (from Amazon to Best Buy to smaller folks) and between that and so many titles becoming available on vinyl, it is getting very very saturated.

I am trying to be smarter about every decision I make with pressing records and am trying to limit the number of variants. I have also contemplated pressing more records on a small run of color and then do represses on black.

you have all seen the threads where people groan over not being able to afford new pre-orders. But when we post a new Gaslight pre-order, the records just fly. Will people drop off as vinyl collectors? some will, but others will come on board and those who have stuck it out this long will keep it going.

Vinyl Collecting is how I imagine an addiction to heroin might be; you can't just start drinking Odouls after being an addict and you can't just listen to compressed mp3s after listening to the your favorite albums on vinyl.

there have been so many new retailers getting back into vinyl (from Amazon to Best Buy to smaller folks) and between that and so many titles becoming available on vinyl, it is getting very very saturated.

The final year at the Virgin that I was a buyer at, vinyl was the only dept. that was up each month over the same month previous year, every month...

I don't think the bubble has burst. I think peoples disposable income has dropped and they can't afford to buy multiple copies, or pay for the higher prices of rarer records, especially if there is a cheaper version or repress.

I am trying to be smarter about every decision I make with pressing records and am trying to limit the number of variants. I have also contemplated pressing more records on a small run of color and then do represses on black.

Although i like the idea of a limit of one colour for the first press and all following press on black. I think it is important that people can get an affordable copy, but i also think that it is a collector led market and the collectors still need something to chase. I think that you need to look at the business model of any given label. Although a lot of labels will deny it, variants make them money. If every record was black then think how many fewer records would be sold, i mean think how few RAR's would of been sold if everyone only had one copy. I think releasing multiple variants is definitely the way to go, just to keep the labels alive and to generate interest. Saying that i do not work in the industry, it is just my opinion as a consumer.

Things will pick up, they always do, the economy has always had peaks and troughs, its just about riding out the rough times in preparation for the better times. Lets just hope it starts rising soon.

My thoughts on the vinyl bubble are that the economy has greatly affected spending habits of everyone.

This. I have encountered it. Big time.

Me too. I haven't bought any records except for the Narrows LP for 6 weeks.

It sucks, but I've been having fun getting into some of the overlooked records on my shelves.

Guest drahtuos
Vinyl Collecting is how I imagine an addiction to heroin might be; you can't just start drinking Odouls after being an addict and you can't just listen to compressed mp3s after listening to the your favorite albums on vinyl.

so true.

Guest afsdan

major labels getting back into vinyl just fucks the little guys over, when a store buys 50 copies of some fucking Radiohead repress that means they have less $$ and shelf space for my records.