Initial Records - a walk down memory lane...

[image]

If there is/was one label whose entire output I supported, it was Initial Records. Not a single band on their roster disappointed. Every time a new record came out, I knew that it would be a winner as it was on Initial.

My first Initial Records release was the Guilt 7"...I received it with the Endpoint - Aftertaste pre-order from Doghouse which was still a small label back then. I had also ordered an Endpoint long-sleeve t-shirt but they were out so they sent me the regular short-sleeve and the 7". It was the label's third release and Duncan Barlow's (Endpoint) other band. I was hooked and wrote the label which at the time were still out of Michigan.

[image]

Ever since, I started following the label and getting my hands on their releases as they came out. Even more so after I had moved from Louisville, KY in 1991. I've missed a few here and there which I'm always on the lookout for.

I was crushed when the label folded in 2004.

Initial was one of the first few labels that went above and beyond for their customers and music fans. I remember calling them to place orders over the phone as soon as I got the newest catalog in the mail and simply just tell them to use my credit card on file. And speaking of catalogs...they were a zine unto themselves. The description for the Initial and distro releases were always hilarious. They had a symbol system that they attached to a release if it fell under the styles of Slayer, '88 Youth Crew HC, Morning Again vegan straight-edge HC, and others. Funny shit.

And let's not forget about Krazy Fest...damn. ;D

So yeah...today I'm taking a trip down memory lane...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I have a bunch more Initial releases but no pictures for some reason.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wish they pressed criteria's "en garde" on vinyl. That is one hell of an album. Saddle Creek has the rights to it now, and i doubt it will ever be pressed due to criteria not really selling well on saddle creek.

Oh, how I would love for this to be pressed on vinyl. Such a flat-out incredible album. Probably my all-time favorite Initial release, actually.

this thread makes me want to tear up :'(. i can't tell you how many shows i went to in louisville when i was in high school. initial always had the best shows and the best bands. i was lucky to live so close, i got to attend every krazyfest and those were some of the best times of my life. they will be forever missed. juan, i think you and i love this label the most.

Initial Records = best label ever!

One album that really would be good to have released on vinyl is Helicopter Helicopter - "Wild Dogs with X-Ray Eyes".

Shit yeah. I'm so glad to hear somebody else was into them. I'm bummed I never went to a Krazy Fest. One of those times when I was like "Oh I'll do some insignificant thing instead, 'cause you know Krazy Fest will be around next year". Of course, it wasn't. MLIA.