Depression tips?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest genericinsight

All the therapists I've ever went to came highly recommended from doctor/mental health resource groups. And they were all terrible. Not just in the way they treated me (and other patients who I ultimately recommended them to), but in terms of monetary issues too. It's definitely problematic and extends far beyond just blindly wandering into a clinic.

So people shouldn't see therapists?

Sorry, I guess I should qualify that. I'm just saying it's helpful to be wary and careful if you do. Someone you're happy with now may not be doing you any good services at some point. Therapy is an excellent road, just be careful.

Personally, I've found peer support groups work better for me, but there's a number of people in my group with therapists too. We've gotten a number of horror stories as well as good ones about them. Again, just telling people to be careful.

So people shouldn't see therapists?

Sorry, I guess I should qualify that. I'm just saying it's helpful to be wary and careful if you do. Someone you're happy with now may not be doing you any good services at some point. Therapy is an excellent road, just be careful.

Personally, I've found peer support groups work better for me, but there's a number of people in my group with therapists too. We've gotten a number of horror stories as well as good ones about them. Again, just telling people to be careful.

Agree with peer support groups.

A lot of people who consult therapists/counsellors are already aware of the nature or cause of their problems or issues -- they just need to hear it from someone else. Some people need someone with a degree for validation purposes, while others can rely solely on what is perceived as in impartial third party of some sort.

I'd try the support group avenue first since it is less of a stressor financially. If you're not gaining the answers and insight you seek, try the therapist route.

Guest genericinsight

Agree with peer support groups.

A lot of people who consult therapists/counsellors are already aware of the nature or cause of their problems or issues -- they just need to hear it from someone else. Some people need someone with a degree for validation purposes, while others can rely solely on what is perceived as in impartial third party of some sort.

I'd try the support group avenue first since it is less of a stressor financially. If you're not gaining the answers and insight you seek, try the therapist route.

Another thing that's irked me about therapists is that most of them try to probe into your past and relate it to how you are doing now. Which in no doubt can relate to it, but in the long run it doesn't always do much good, especially to try and get you better now.

My point is that there should be more done than just trying to get to the root of the problem. Medication can help, but a lot of pharmaceutical meds defeat their own purposes so to speak too... the longer you stay on one, your body builds an immunity to it and you can become even more depressed. It's a no-win situation at times and you're likely always going to feel like you're fighting an uphill battle.

Sorry for the long winded rants and raves. As someone with many years of experience with this, I have a lot of strong opinions on the subject and just don't take lightly to someone asking for help and being ignored or made fun of. I'm off my soapbox.

You have to be careful about just saying a therapist is bad, i've had a couple close friends leave a practice after complaining that the doctor wasn't any good.. but after long discussions... it came out that they didn't like the diagnosis that the doctor came up with.. usually something rather uncommon, or was largely misunderstood/had a stigma attached to it.

Unless its just a flat out "i was born with wires crossed and theres nothing outside of drugs thats going to help it" getting to the root cause of the symptoms is generally very important in trying to alleviate them, or at least getting the person to a more comfortable place. Alot of people have been misdiagnosed, and therefor have the wrong treatment . Depression is generally a symptom, and not the condition itself...

i've actually found some really interesting data in helping friends figure out what the hell they have... Take Bi-Polar for instance.. the general cases are people who suffer from mania, and then depression... say on a 10 point scale going from an 8 to a 2 ... theres certain cases where the person is normally balanced (say at a 5) but then goes through bouts of super productivity (on this scale ...amps to 11+)... the "patient" never suffers through the depression end of it.. but is still showing the same imbalance of stability as someone who is... its really interesting stuff.

just thought i'd pop in and say that the therapists i've gone to (one when i lived in california, one when i lived in new jersey and one when i lived in pittsburgh) were all wonderful and helpful people. peer groups never helped me. my current psychiatrist, who i have been with for nigh 5 years now is also incredibly helpful and open to what medicines i do and don't feel comfortable on, and he goes from there. i've been on meds for almost 7 years now. manning up to your problems and dealing with them headfirst is the way to go. sitting around isn't going to get you anywhere. you will NOT get better by JUST being on medication. the medication doesn't make you feel better. it helps you get to a point where you can make YOURSELF feel better.

manning up to your problems and dealing with them headfirst is the way to go. sitting around isn't going to get you anywhere. you will NOT get better by JUST being on medication. the medication doesn't make you feel better. it helps you get to a point where you can make YOURSELF feel better.

Exactly.

Well My girlfriend just broke up with me. She is my only love, 2 year anniversary next month. I was planning a big limo trip to NYC and a broadway play of her choice. I don't know what to do. I am devastated.

Here's my plan. Take the money you were going to spend on that evening and get a hold of Kevin Federline. Offer him the money in exchange for his services (he's not doing anything else, I promise). Tell him that he'll get the money if he can sweep your ex off her feet. Chances are he'll do it because, let's be honest, he managed to bag Brittney Spears back when that was something to brag about and I doubt anyone here is dating anyone as hot as old Brittney.

From there the plan is in effect. K-Fed will do his thing, which happens to be knocking women up. Your ex get's pregnant, has a kid and her life is ruined. Then you and K-Fed hang out outside of the local baby Gap and when your ex shows up all bloated and with child make sure you two are hi-fiving right as she first notices you (it's extra effective if you get her attention by shouting "that's what I'm talkin' bout" and then hi-five in mid air).

Revenge obtained.

BTW, I hold true to what I said earlier about not taking advice from people here.

The thing about seeing a psychologist is that they can really tell you what might work. I think a good psychologists would listen and give you some ideas and give you time to work through the issues instead of saying this is what you are going to do and it will work, dammit.

You have your psychologists, your psychiatrists, therapists, social workers disguised as psychologists (the ones that give you drug evalutations after DUI's and shit, these people could ruin you with their forms and checklists)