Why was 'the What's It Worth?' thread locked?

I agree with you. There have been locks aplenty lately and I'm not down with it.

Let's recap:

-Someone locked the thread where 706union spoke out against VC (shouldn't have been locked)

-Someone locked the thread Googlemyass started about the Thrice leak.

-Someone locked the what's it worth thread. Even though the thread wasn't necessary, it looked like some people would find value in it.

-Then there's that guidelines thread over on the sale/trade part of the bored. That was locked from the get-go. Though, Jeff unlocked it so he could add his comments. We can't add ours though.

What am I missing?

I'll unlock it to ask your question in there.

But...the reason some threads have been locked (I don't think there's "excessive thread locking" as you put it but that's debatable I guess) is b/c there could be duplicate threads or that particular thread has served its purpose.

We use discretion whe locking or even deleting a thread. It's of course bound to piss some people off.

I would disagree about a couple of the threads. We know Virgil doesn't like to have leaked material on the board and I feel posting about a leaked album simply leads to, "OMG send me a link", which isn't the purpose of this board.

Also, the thread about the kid bitching about VC had served its purpose. He got mad, was told to contact Virgil for a resolution. The rest of the, "What's acceptable record packing?", "Andy stuck his dick in my order" was just sidebar on the original issue.

I would go so far as to say almost any, "How do I contact VC", "How do I get a refund?", etc. should all be locked as they're answered 100 times over already.

I would disagree about a couple of the threads. We know Virgil doesn't like to have leaked material on the board and I feel posting about a leaked album simply leads to, "OMG send me a link", which isn't the purpose of this board.

Also, the thread about the kid bitching about VC had served its purpose. He got mad, was told to contact Virgil for a resolution. The rest of the, "What's acceptable record packing?", "Andy stuck his dick in my order" was just sidebar on the original issue.

I would go so far as to say almost any, "How do I contact VC", "How do I get a refund?", etc. should all be locked as they're answered 100 times over already.

On your final point, I suggested in one of those threads that someone stickies a locked thread titled "I have a problem/question about my VC order" and lists the ways to contact VC and advises them not to use the board. I agree those can be locked.

As to your penultimate point, I got the impression that that thread was locked because someone called out VC and certain people around here get really bitchy when someone does that and they immediately fly into ass-kissing mode. I think a healthy debate about packaging/customer service is necessary once in a while, especially when people don't feel they're getting what they paid for. Yes, it's best handled with a private email, but since it was public anyway, why not let the debate continue?

On your first point, I'll agree with you. But if that thread was going to be locked, any other thread like it that springs up should be as well. I guess I just want a little consistency. People start threads all of the time saying they heard things early, but won't share (which they shouldn't) and people bitch...lock 'em all up or don't lock any.

Thread locking:

I must admit I thought it was a stupid/baby move to lock the 706union thread, it was no more pointless than any other thread and locking it was probably worse of a business move than just leaving the cards on the table.

To answer the OP:

Nines & Sixes is by far their best album (in my opinion). It's out of print but Lobster was selling them as little as a year ago, who knows if/when they'll find some more. Probably a $20 record (nm/nm) in a private sale, potentially more on Ebay.

First of all, i think this thread MUST exist. I've wanted to start it but know that the whole... People wanting to flip records... issue would look like my intentions. Well, partially they are, but, the only reason i would buy and flip a record is to make money to buy another record that someone else is flipping, but i have to be knowledgeable enough to what will be worth to do it and i will get into this further in my post.... If i want and only have access to some rare record that pops up on eBay every once and a while and the only reason i missed out on getting it is because i was not collecting records at the time or missed the selling of it (Due to flippers) why is it such a big deal for me to do the same to get that record?

I am very interested in how many people flip records just for the money, rather than flip them for, or to justify/fund their purchase of some rare piece they're missing. I would put money that about 80% of flippers do it to fund their vinyl habit and get that rare piece of vinyl that they can only find on the Bay. You have to be interested in music and vinyl in general to even come up with idea.

I'm sure a few people flip records solely to make money but the time and research it takes for a person not interested in vinyl to research bands/vinyl sales, then sit around and find out when it's coming out is not worth the trouble unless they are smart/good at it (Which i think is rare).

Considering how many people still ask "They still make vinyl records" should reinforce my point.

IE: Would you buy a couple limited number of a certain piece of vinyl that you know will be worth some cash to buy that 100$ record you're desiring or work a full day or two of work to buy that rare ass piece of vinyl?

You have to be knowledgeable on the subject to do it, therefore, i bet about 8/10 people that do it are doing it to fund purchases of other releases...

You have to do too much research and what not to make it profitable if you are solely a flipper! and the profit is RARELY worth the amount of time and the research it takes to figure out how many should i buy to make a profit etc... Plus most smart labels limit the quantities sold (Which i am a firm believer of, except for that fact that my brother and I have to order separately from Fat Wreck to get our two copies of a colored piece of history, he's too young to own a credit/ debit card and mail order has proven to be untrustworthy - so he uses my mom's credit card to buy LPs and we have to spend more shipping cost to each get a copy)

I see the thread has been re-opened, which is great! The thread would only be a problem if it was "Is this soon to be released LP a rare piece of vinyl that will sell out quickly and i could make money off it?"

A true and straight up "Flipper" could not use a "What's this worth" thread to his full advantage because it would be asking about previously released vinyl that is not available anymore. If somone was to ask "What will this be worth/is this gonna be rare" that would be another story and i doubt anybody on here would facilitate his inquiry.

I feel this is a MUCH NEEDED thread because some people are willing to part with one piece of vinyl to get another. Most of us will pay out the ass to get something we want and i see no harm in finding out what a less desirable piece of wax is worth to basically upgrade to something we want more!

It's a combination of "Flippers" and "Upgraders" that buy stuff to sell it and the "What it's worth" thread will not facilitate either of them if the vinyl is OOP. So, there should be one rule - Only ask about hard to find/ Out Of Print Records" and as long as nobody spills the beans about what a new release will be worth it will be totally legit.

Well, that's my feelings i have and let me know what you all think about it.

First of all, i think this thread MUST exist. I've wanted to start it but know that the whole... People wanting to flip records... issue would look like my intentions. Well, partially they are, but, the only reason i would buy and flip a record is to make money to buy another record that someone else is flipping, but i have to be knowledgeable enough to what will be worth to do it and i will get into this further in my post.... If i want and only have access to some rare record that pops up on eBay every once and a while and the only reason i missed out on getting it is because i was not collecting records at the time or missed the selling of it (Due to flippers) why is it such a big deal for me to do the same to get that record?

I am very interested in how many people flip records just for the money, rather than flip them for, or to justify/fund their purchase of some rare piece they're missing. I would put money that about 80% of flippers do it to fund their vinyl habit and get that rare piece of vinyl that they can only find on the Bay. You have to be interested in music and vinyl in general to even come up with idea.

I'm sure a few people flip records solely to make money but the time and research it takes for a person not interested in vinyl to research bands/vinyl sales, then sit around and find out when it's coming out is not worth the trouble unless they are smart/good at it (Which i think is rare).

Considering how many people still ask "They still make vinyl records" should reinforce my point.

IE: Would you buy a couple limited number of a certain piece of vinyl that you know will be worth some cash to buy that 100$ record you're desiring or work a full day or two of work to buy that rare ass piece of vinyl?

You have to be knowledgeable on the subject to do it, therefore, i bet about 8/10 people that do it are doing it to fund purchases of other releases...

You have to do too much research and what not to make it profitable if you are solely a flipper! and the profit is RARELY worth the amount of time and the research it takes to figure out how many should i buy to make a profit etc... Plus most smart labels limit the quantities sold (Which i am a firm believer of, except for that fact that my brother and I have to order separately from Fat Wreck to get our two copies of a colored piece of history, he's too young to own a credit/ debit card and mail order has proven to be untrustworthy - so he uses my mom's credit card to buy LPs and we have to spend more shipping cost to each get a copy)

I see the thread has been re-opened, which is great! The thread would only be a problem if it was "Is this soon to be released LP a rare piece of vinyl that will sell out quickly and i could make money off it?"

A true and straight up "Flipper" could not use a "What's this worth" thread to his full advantage because it would be asking about previously released vinyl that is not available anymore. If somone was to ask "What will this be worth/is this gonna be rare" that would be another story and i doubt anybody on here would facilitate his inquiry.

I feel this is a MUCH NEEDED thread because some people are willing to part with one piece of vinyl to get another. Most of us will pay out the ass to get something we want and i see no harm in finding out what a less desirable piece of wax is worth to basically upgrade to something we want more!

It's a combination of "Flippers" and "Upgraders" that buy stuff to sell it and the "What it's worth" thread will not facilitate either of them if the vinyl is OOP. So, there should be one rule - Only ask about hard to find/ Out Of Print Records" and as long as nobody spills the beans about what a new release will be worth it will be totally legit.

Agreed. Seconded. ^^This

First off, it's ignorant to think anyone inquiring about the price of a specific record is only asking for flipping purposes. I'd bet most people are concerned about overpaying for a record.

Secondly, why not have a locked sticky thread called "What is my record worth?" with links to eBay and Popsike?

i enjoyed reading the What's It Worth thread on the 'wiki back before it broke. it was kinda interesting to see what things were going for, even if i didn't really care for the records being discussed.

to the ebay and popsike deal, sometimes ebay doesnt have it listed (because either the item is rarely/never listed), and popsike doesn't always record ALL auctions of interest, and some times it's only the extremes that are represented (when it goes for a lot, or when it goes for a little). depending on the record, there's not too much middle ground/average on that site. at least that has been my experience with it.

I wish I had as much free time as you seem to have